Chapala.com Webboard

Walking your dog

ccw

Hello all, another newbie question:

I have read that there can be loose dogs in certain areas/neighborhoods. Do many of you have problems taking your dog out to do their business or just a walk if you live in one of these areas? My wife is concerned that this may be a problems when we look to relocate.

I am not asking about specific neighborhoods at this time, just overall comments.

Thanks.

I used to carry a long metal pole or broomstick, but I had to bang it on the curb and yell to discourage an approaching dog.  I hated the thought that I might have to strike one being aggressive, but I wouldn't hesitate if Precious was in danger.  Now I carry a small squirt bottle with water and it works extremely well.  The neighborhood dogs know I have it and veer away when they see me.  I have twice thwarted a charging pitt bull and was truly surprised at how well it worked.  Be sure to test it occasionally while walking to insure that it will send out a strong squirt when needed.

After one year of walking the back streets of upper Ajijic with 2 female cocker spaniels I have had no problems.  The street dogs approach, have a quick sniff and wander back to their territory.  There are a lot of very young children about, especially in the evening, and it is my belief that the locals ensure dangerous dogs are not allowed on the street.

Ammonia Toxicity  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammonia

The toxicity of ammonia solutions does not usually cause problems for humans and other mammals, as a specific mechanism exists to prevent its build-up in the bloodstream.

Lemon juice doesn't smell bad, but the point is to deter the first aggression, and more importantly repeat attacks.

Ammonia is on the shelves of all the large store in the cleaning department. It won't clog the nozzle of your sprayer.

It's been our experience that the majority of the "street dogs" pose very little issue.  The larger issue are the ex-pats who feel they have the right to walk their dogs off leash.  Many of them are not well socialized and do attack smaller dogs.   Just take a walk down the mailcon in Ajijic - far too many being walked off leash.   

The major problem with unleashed dogs on the Ajijic Malecon is that the owners are inconsiderate of others, some of whom are frail and do not appreciate being jumped on by a stranger's pup.  Those extended leashes are as useless in that regard as no leash at all.  Carrying a walking stick or cane is advised.

58 minutes ago, gringal said:

The major problem with unleashed dogs on the Ajijic Malecon is that the owners are inconsiderate of others, some of whom are frail and do not appreciate being jumped on by a stranger's pup.  Those extended leashes are as useless in that regard as no leash at all.  Carrying a walking stick or cane is advised.

I totally second that.  While I am not frail or elderly,  I certainly don't like a dog jumping on me, especially when I least expect it.  

My Mom's two small dogs were attacked in our own neighbourhood some years back, by a large black dog. The annoying bit was that the Mexican couple were walking their dogs off leash, and showed no reaction at ALL as I had to hoof the big dog in the nose to get him to stop. No reaction, at ALL. I gave them a heaping helping of my ire, which they ignored.

I should add that those "extendable" leashes are useless, not only for the reason given above... but any dog trainer will tell you keep your dog leashed behind the neck, and walking right beside you. Dogs are like little kids, no matter their age, and need discipline and training, particularly in public.

5 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

My Mom's two small dogs were attacked in our own neighbourhood some years back, by a large black dog. The annoying bit was that the Mexican couple were walking their dogs off leash, and showed no reaction at ALL as I had to hoof the big dog in the nose to get him to stop. No reaction, at ALL. I gave them a heaping helping of my ire, which they ignored.

I should add that those "extendable" leashes are useless, not only for the reason given above... but any dog trainer will tell you keep your dog leashed behind the neck, and walking right beside you. Dogs are like little kids, no matter their age, and need discipline and training, particularly in public.

Some folks think their dogs ARE their kids !:rolleyes:

We always walk our dog on a leash; safer for us and him, considerate for others. Merlin, our 11yo male Weimador is great with people but does not play well with other dogs. I never allow him to approach another dog without proper introduction. As long as the dogs are not aggressive, I think we will be fine.

It's safe to walk your dog on a leash for his own protection. 

FACT: Most neighbourhood dogs that are offleash are owned by Mexicans. 

Most of them won't be aggressive however Mexican street dogs are territorial  towards other dogs but not humans (they are very friendly to humans in general) so they may bark when your dog walks by or just do nothing at all. 

If you have a small dog I would hold him if you see a lot of big dogs (4 or more in one corner) because some big dogs like to chase them as a game and when it's a lot of them they have a pack mentality. Most of the time you are fine however. The biggest issue if your small dog is off leash is that they will run get scared and probably be hit by a car. Same with big dogs too. 

Please don't bring any chemicals to spray other dogs. They may be roaming free but most of them are still socialized.

Source: I have walked multiple adopted ex street dogs for over 2 years in Ajijic. 

Archived