Chapala.com Webboard

Food poisoning!!

Foodlovergirl

Hi guys!! I'm really concerned about one of my friends. She start with a really bad stomachache last week, and is getting worse. She is going to the hospital right now, she has chills, vomit and diarrhea. She saids she start to feel bad after eating XXXXXXXin a friend's house, apparently the food was coming from XXXXXXX, the place across XXXXXXXXXX. She remember that the XXXX didn't taste good, and she only take one XXXX for the same reason. I don't know what is going on with that place, I generally hear good comments but lately I hear a couple of bad comments and someone told me that they were recycling the old XXXXX What do you think? Did someone have the same problem?

Edited by Mod5

1 minute ago, gringal said:

Just wondering why you believe it to be a "false post"?

This OP just opened an account and the first post is about food poisoning of a friend. 

There are so many stomach problems here that people may think are caused by food poisoning from a restaurant.  Most food poisoning happens in the home, according to the CDC.  It's difficult to determine the source when every type of "bug" has a different period of time before it becomes evident--months even.

3 minutes ago, Yo1 said:

This OP just opened an account and the first post is about food poisoning of a friend. 

There are so many stomach problems here that people may think are caused by food poisoning from a restaurant.  Most food poisoning happens in the home, according to the CDC.  It's difficult to determine the source when every type of "bug" has a different period of time before it becomes evident--months even.

You're right about the many sources of trouble.  The OP did say the friend came down with it shortly after eating a single slice of pizza.  The food in a place may be fine in general, but I've had bugs from the best places in town.  It just takes one.

Food poisoning is not that difficult to identify. You eat something bad and almost right away you are in the bathroom coming out both ends. When this happens right after you eat, it is not from something you ate yesterday or a stomach virus you came in contact with sometime in the past week.

Mudgirl is right.  It is very difficult to pinpoint the source.   While the OP and her friend may have their suspicions that's all they have.  I don't think it's appropriate to post this sort of damaging guess.   

We eat out 7 or more times a week and we've both had our share of food-borne illness.  While we may 'think' we know the source of the illness,  I would never post it in a public place as we know it's unfair to the eatery based on our gut feeling (pun intended).

One exception: mi esposa got really really sick with all the delightful symptoms.  In the first day, he lost 12 pounds (and he's not overweight).  This was in US and he went to Kaiser...they told him to eat the BRAT diet for a few days.  It didn't help, he was taking 12 Immodium a day (owned his own business, no calling in sick)!  Then it subsided, then came back in a few days, but not as bad.  Back and forth like that for a few weeks.

One morning about two weeks after he got sick, I'm reading the Washington Post and saw their list of recent Health Code Violations.  Listed was an eatery we had been to prior to his illness, which we had ruled out because we shared the food and I didn't get sick...and the food tasted fine (nice upscale place that we went to regularly). 

Turns out it was shigella (a really nasty bug).  He called the Health Dept., they gave him a sample kit and confirmed the shigella.  Back to Kaiser for heavy duty antibiotics.

Now that's proof of what made someone sick...anything short of that is just a guess.   

Lets debunk the "you get sick immediately" notion.  The only way you'll PROVE where you got ill is to submit your samples, and then have the restaurant inspected and have samples from their facility taken to a lab. If your samples match their samples you'd be more apt to pinpoint the source of your contamination. 40+ years in hospitality management, former certified food safety manager. So lets not assume it was a pizza that got you ill.

Image result for food poisoning incubation period chart

Irresponsible and unfair accusation against a business. She ate XXXXXXX  at a friend's house. Who ate the rest? She had a stomachache and a week later has chills, vomiting and diarrhea? On that basis you publically accuse a restaurant of "recycling old sauce"? 

Minor Edit by Mod5

Where is the mod???  This post has been up for 4 hours and should have been shut down after4 minutes.  I privately wrote to the OP asking him/her to take down the post but it's not happening.  To be fair, the OP may not have seen my message in the last 4 hours.

I am locking this page. I will leave it up for a while because there are some very good information posted herein. I hope we all have learned a little from these posts. I know I have. I will delete some of the slanderous information above as well. I will also make minor changes to many post to hide a few words.

Mod5

Archived