Chapala.com Webboard

Hip surgery - Preparing and convalescing

feewee

Wondering if anyone has advice on things to do to prepare for hip surgery and to make convalescing easier.  I am specifically wondering about how quickly you will be able to move around and if it is possible to go up and down stairs or best to move bed to main floor. 

Anybody go through double hip surgery ? 

Your advice, anecdotes and stories are all welcome. 

Maybe talk to a physiotherapist, they could likely give some information based on patients they have seen. A lot may depend on your age, physical health, bone health and your abilities. You may need a walker initially for stability and maybe a stool in the shower, then perhaps a cane. Sometimes you can find medical equipment at the bazaars.

Well, a significant prognosticator of pain and rehabilitation time will be the 'method' that is used for the surgery.... anterior or posteria. IF the surgeon is only trained in the older posteria approach your rehabilitation will be different and longer due to the fact that more 'damage' will be done to muscles, ligaments and such. Pretty much no surgeons, except the ones not trained or not willing to 'move forward', still use the posteria approach.  Good surgeons using the Anterior approach will want to have you up and 'walking' day one. Recovery time is said to be half that of the anterior approach with significantly less pain on average.

As in all things medical..... educate yourself!

I agree with WideSky.

That said, here is my experience with a hubby who had both of his hips replaced but with a 25 year difference between the operations.

1) I would not recommend having them BOTH done at the same time. That will really incapacitate you since you can always put your weight on the foot/hip that has not been operated on.

2) You will need a shower chair simply because it's more secure on the wet tile. A long hose attachment for the showerhead will give you independence and privacy in the shower. Getting into the shower, when the floor is dry, is not a problem. Getting out, I would suggest assistance until reaching a safe dry spot to get dressed. I hope you do have assistance because you will need help getting on underwear and socks for the first little while.

3) You will need a raised toilet seat preferably with handles.

4) If your bed is very low, you may want to either buy an inflatable mattress or memory foam to put ON your existing bed to raise the level

As RickS has stated there are now different ways of doing the operation. First hip was a week in the hospital and a week in bed at home and then a long period of recovery. When the second hip was done, hubby was only in the hospital overnight and on his feet in 24 hours. Do your therapy and exercises and you won't regret having it done.

Edited to add: Move your bed to the main floor and I hope that you have a full bathroom with shower on the same main floor.

48 minutes ago, Ferret said:

I agree with WideSky.

That said, here is my experience with a hubby who had both of his hips replaced but with a 25 year difference between the operations.

1) I would not recommend having them BOTH done at the same time. That will really incapacitate you since you can always put your weight on the foot/hip that has not been operated on.

2) You will need a shower chair simply because it's more secure on the wet tile. A long hose attachment for the showerhead will give you independence and privacy in the shower. Getting into the shower, when the floor is dry, is not a problem. Getting out, I would suggest assistance until reaching a safe dry spot to get dressed. I hope you do have assistance because you will need help getting on underwear and socks for the first little while.

3) You will need a raised toilet seat preferably with handles.

4) If your bed is very low, you may want to either buy an inflatable mattress or memory foam to put ON your existing bed to raise the level

As RickS has stated there are now different ways of doing the operation. First hip was a week in the hospital and a week in bed at home and then a long period of recovery. When the second hip was done, hubby was only in the hospital overnight and on his feet in 24 hours. Do your therapy and exercises and you won't regret having it done.

Edited to add: Move your bed to the main floor and I hope that you have a full bathroom with shower on the same main floor.

Excellent advice !!!!

Recovery time varies on a person to person basis.  Stairs will not be doable at first..move bed on main level. 

A walker at first is necessary progressing to cane.  Raised toilet seat and I also had handicap bars put near toilet as could not get off. 

Showering might be best if have help, though depends on person I was fearful as I fell and broke my hip.  Shower chair is comforting and a good idea.

I was out of bed next day but was difficult and muscle spasms were intense.  Other than that pain tolerable but fear intense. 

I would never have both done at same time unless absolutely necessary. 

Putting on shoes, socks, and things such as that will be impossible for a long time..  Definite PT needed.

I had surgery done by Dr Gonzales at Mascaras, am very happy with results. 

Think I was in hospital 3 or 4 days but again was compromised.

I had just recently finished chemo so was in a weakened state as it was...

unable to drive for a good 6 weeks or longer , was my right hip. 

Good to have ability to prepare physically and mentally. 

Best wishes. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived