Chapala.com Webboard

RENTAL

BillijeanH

Many 'snowbirds' will begin to pull out/head back north in March. That will open up the market and you should be able to find what you want at that time. If you are a 'few weeks early' for securing one that you really like, IMO you could just put yourself into a B&B or some other short-term rental until it is available. Otherwise, just postpone your trip until April.

If you've never been here before, just be aware that what MAY look like a perfect house/location/setting online MIGHT be right next to an auto repair (or worse) shop. Don't depend on full disclosure by anyone, much less a real estate agent!  Most folks just wait until they are at Lakeside to make their decision.... especially if it is for long term.

I believe you can do the entire rental agreement remotely.  I did once through VRBO.  Suggest you contact various rental offices and ask them their best time frame.  Each office is different.    Some won't contract on a property until it is already vacant as they say they don't know if the current residents are staying or not.  But then, other agents have shown properties to me that are occupied but they know the people are leaving.  Good luck.  Just remember, each rental office will have drastically different policies. 

Even if you can - don't!,  it's very very  very unwise to commit sight unseen. Photos don't tell the whole story .  Even if (big if here) the  house itself  is as depicted you don't know what's around you.as there is no NOB-type zoning.  Neighbors could be   peaceful we'll-kept homes   OR  week-end party homes , a loud bar, an evento , house with 11 manic dogs, a diesel mechanic shop, the local  druggie hangout ........and agents won't tell you.   Better to find B&B accommodations while you look 

I also strongly urge you NOT to rent sight unseen UNLESS you have someone here you trust who can go look at it for you.  On our trip to move here, we ran into a couple on the road who was coming here to come as well and they had rented ahead as you propose.  I thought that was really a great idea as they raved about the rental agent, etc., whom they had also talked to on the phone. 

Once they arrived, the house was a total mess and in an unlivable condition.  They were really upset!  They had to stay with us at a B&B until they could find housing.  It was quite a disaster as they had sold everything, had two dogs in the car and all they owned.

1 hour ago, BillijeanH said:

I have been down many times, I have absolutely no fear of anywhere lakeside Chapala to beyond Jocotopec  I'm driving no interest in B&B .  Will have to start making phone calls.  Thankss all

Well Billijean, good luck.

Archived