Chapala.com Webboard

How do I pay property tax?

Sleepy Joe

I paid property taxes in for the first time on a newly purchased lot in SJC last March, in person.  The staff in the Joco municipal office could not have been nicer or more efficient, though there was a something of a language barrier, and the taxes on undeveloped property are stunningly low.  Talking with another american property owner in Ajijic, it is my understanding that municipal property taxes can be paid any time, including late.  How would this work in Joco, specifically?  It will be the case that in some years I won't be Lakeside to pay in person, so can I just ignore deadlines and just let the account accrue whatever penalty is involved, or is it important to have someone present the original paperwork annually in person?  If annual payment is strongly recommended, who could provide such a service in Joco?  Thanks!

1 hour ago, utilitus said:

I paid property taxes in for the first time on a newly purchased lot in SJC last March, in person.  The staff in the Joco municipal office could not have been nicer or more efficient, though there was a something of a language barrier, and the taxes on undeveloped property are stunningly low.  Talking with another american property owner in Ajijic, it is my understanding that municipal property taxes can be paid any time, including late.  How would this work in Joco, specifically?  It will be the case that in some years I won't be Lakeside to pay in person, so can I just ignore deadlines and just let the account accrue whatever penalty is involved, or is it important to have someone present the original paperwork annually in person?  If annual payment is strongly recommended, who could provide such a service in Joco?  Thanks!

Late payment carries a penalty charge that increases monthly after Jan. and Feb payment window. In your case it won't be much. In Mexico they are not in any hurry to seize and sale property that is in arrears. For instance in Chapala they do not even know who the owner is on more than half of the vaccant lots.

Archived