Chapala.com Webboard

Big jump in internet speed

econ man

Just to recap: I was getting 5 mbs while my neighbors were getting 8. Had TelMex come out and fool around for a while and still only got 5 , although it was a much steadier 5 (less fluctuation) after they left.

Ordered a Huawei modem off ML to replace my Technicolor. It came yesterday and is still sitting unopened in box.

Woke up this morning to speeds as high as 10.5 mbs (although lots of fluctuation).

Independence Day regalo from Carlos?

Just maybe Telmex set your speeds higher. That is what happened to me. In fact over the last several years they have reset my speed several times, sometimes making it slower and other times resetting the higher speeds. In my neighborhood the best settings as shown in ones modem are 12.5 down by 0.6 up and I get about 85% there of or about 10 Mb/sec down by 0.5 up.

I use the ookla speed test. If you are not familiar with the ookla speed test,, here is a test result from another location

6629887830.png

the URL is www.speedtest.net/

When speedtest.net completes its test, click "share results."  Then select "image." Then click "Copy" then paste the link you copied into the msg section here. Alternatively, you can paste the link in an address bar and copy the image.

I live in lower Riberas and get unusually high internet speeds for Lakeside.

image.png.205fbab0ff457c458cf849feedd9eb32.png

I still work (via Internet in Hong Kong) and need good internet speed to be able to work. Internet speed is a major consideration in any house for me. Plus, I use the Internet for my Vonage phone, Skype and all of my television. It is unfortunately equivalent to having potable water for us at this time in our lives. I do not want to have to move to Hong Kong. Nice place to visit, but...

52% of the world does not have internet access

A new UN report on the state of broadband says 1.5 billion more people use the internet today than in 2010, but 52% of the world's population still lacks access. Of people without internet, 62% live in Asia and the Pacific Islands, and 18% in Africa.

• "Men outnumber women in terms of Internet usage in all regions of the world."
  • China has the biggest internet market, with 700 million users.
  • The global average internet speed is 7.2 megabits per second. South Korea has the fastest internet at 28.6 Mbps. To compare, Nigeria has one of the slowest speeds with 1.5 Mbps... with Lake Chapala, Mexico almost as bad.

(Okay, maybe a little editorial liberty taken on the last bullet point) But true!

Not sure if our situation will help anyone but just in case.  Our internet speed was dismal at best for June, July and August.  We are tech and Spanish challenged so call in our computer tech guy.   He advised we had 10 wireless devices (2 Iphones, 2 Ipads, a laptop, a printer, a smart TV and 3 repeaters) which were causing the TELMEX modem to overheat which impacted our service.  The solution - a router which handles the wireless part and all devices are back up to approximately 10 megabits.

54 minutes ago, benji's mom said:

Not sure if our situation will help anyone but just in case.  Our internet speed was dismal at best for June, July and August.  We are tech and Spanish challenged so call in our computer tech guy.   He advised we had 10 wireless devices (2 Iphones, 2 Ipads, a laptop, a printer, a smart TV and 3 repeaters) which were causing the TELMEX modem to overheat which impacted our service.  The solution - a router which handles the wireless part and all devices are back up to approximately 10 megabits.

Have a friend in Rancho Alegre who would like to know the name of the router and where to buy it. Better yet, can you give me the name of your computer tech guy and his contact number so that I can give it to her. She has been pulling out her hair since last December and has over 25 complaint orders with Telmex. TIA!

Please give more information about "a router which handles the wireless part".  Is this another device you purchased?  Do you have an additional plan for this modem and ,if so, with whom?  Thanks!

P.S. I am the friend of the last responder!!!

1 hour ago, benji's mom said:

I hate to tell you this, but his comments are absolutely ludicrous. What you have done is add a working WiFi router that is not in need of either repair or maintenance; that's all. Think of it this way: if the TelMex modem/router couldn't handle the WiFi, how on earth could any other router be different?

No, you might have seen a decrease in speed and throughput because multiple devices are accessing the Internet at the same time, that is all.

Archived