Chapala.com Webboard

Large Formation of Large White Birds Today

Bisbee Gal

Flying west over Ajijic.  

At least  60 of them in large V formation.   Actually, one very large V, then a smaller trailing half of a V.

Very large wingspan, white with darker (gray?) wing tips.  Not a lot of flapping.  

It's way too early for the white pelicans, no?  

I see ibis a lot in FL but never in large groups airborne.  

Any bird watchers out there?

It is early, but that's them. Some arrived several weeks ago. No idea why they seem so early this year. If you have never done so, make sure you get to Petatan on the south side of the lake between November and March to watch thousands of them together feeding on the fishermen's scraps. An amazing sight.

Just now, bournemouth said:

Wood Storks can have that appearance but it is most likely White Pelicans.

We have lots of wood storks near our other home in FL, but again, never seen them in large formations .  And when overhead you can see their legs dangling behind, so I don't think these were them.  

1 hour ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Do you think they're early this year; or maybe I am not remembering correctly?  Been awhile.

I can't remember. I usually spend afternoons in my hammock on the mirador so they are very visible but date?

Do Sandhill Cranes migrate here? 

Reason I ask, when I spotted these yesterday, that's the bird that first came to mind (they migrate to Bisbee area in winters).  Though I never saw sandhills fly in formation; mostly we'd see them at a nearby lake and there were thousands of them (15,000 in an average year) and they'd alight in a large group, then land again nearby (not time to make a formation, if they ever do).  

Farmers Almanac prediction:

Overall, the long-range winter forecast for 2017–2018 shows generally colder temperatures than last winter for the U.S. and Canada but not colder than a typical winter, based on historical averages. 

I've seen others that suggest it will be markedly colder this winter.  Migratory birds seem to sense climate, maybe that's why they are here a little early.

27 minutes ago, bournemouth said:

I've seen the sandhill cranes on Wilcox Playa, Arizona - amazing.  I've never seen them on the bird lists here though.

Check here:  http://chapalabirders.org/

Thx for birding link.  BTW, we've been to Willcox to see them too, but most are at Whitewater Draw nr. Bisbee.  

On 9/16/2017 at 9:19 AM, Bisbee Gal said:

Do Sandhill Cranes migrate here? 

Reason I ask, when I spotted these yesterday, that's the bird that first came to mind (they migrate to Bisbee area in winters).  Though I never saw sandhills fly in formation; mostly we'd see them at a nearby lake and there were thousands of them (15,000 in an average year) and they'd alight in a large group, then land again nearby (not time to make a formation, if they ever do).  

They do in fact fly in a V at great height and their call is similar to a turkey. Over half a million breed in Alberta and those are the ones you see in the western migratory flyway but I doubt that they come this far south.Oh,and the pelicans that you see here every year are the first of the Alberta snowbirds, so to speak.

According to A Guide to the Birds of Mexico and Northern Central America "Sandhill cranes are a winter visitor to Northern Mexico, rarely central America". They don't usually fly in V formations. White pelicans "when soaring in the distance, can only be confused with Wood Stork." 

39 minutes ago, cedros said:

According to A Guide to the Birds of Mexico and Northern Central America "Sandhill cranes are a winter visitor to Northern Mexico, rarely central America". They don't usually fly in V formations. White pelicans "when soaring in the distance, can only be confused with Wood Stork." 

I have seen them for many years every fall and spring in central Alberta flying in V formation always but not when they do short hops from field to field . migration mode=V formation at very high altitude. Pelicans have a far different body type to woodstork so they wouldn't confuse me nor anyone else that's used to looking at birds but if colour is your only guide you may get confused. here are some pelicans summer nesting south of Taber,Alberta in a Ducks Unlimited reclamation area.

pelicans tabor.jpg

Archived