Chapala.com Webboard

Paint Cans

Floradude

Today I started a long over due (over 10 years) project to remove all the old paint I have stored in my house.  Now my question is what do I do with the partial cans of paint.  How is it correctly disposed of?   Is there a place I can take it?   

I would appreciate hearing from what others have done in this situation.

When I have leftover paint from a project,  I usually transfer it to a container with a tight-fitting lid that is a more appropriate size for the amount left. Not only does it take up less space, it stays in better condition for future use. If the container is opaque, or even if it isn't and not easily identified, I'll put a label on the outside i.e. "North Bedroom Walls". And if I know the brand and code number or formula, I'll put that on as well.

When I was fixing up my old house to sell in Canada years ago, I scrubbed down all the walls, then went around and filled in all the holes and dings, then went to my paint stash as I described it above. Some were only small jars with maybe a quarter cup of paint, but it was enough. I took a small paintbrush and daubed the filled holes, feathering it out so it would blend in. Everyone thought I had done a total repaint of all the walls! BTW the real estate agent told me I should repaint all the walls white, but the folks who bought it (first people who came to see it) said they loved all the colors.

The organization that was removing graffiti was asking for paint donations. Don't know who or if they are still doing it. Might check with the Ajijic Administrator. Also in storing paint,the lid should be on tight and turn the can upside down to eliminate the hard crust from forming.

Where are you buying the containers with the tight fitting lids? I used to be able to get them from Comex but not recently. Sayer Lack doesn't have them either... nor any ferretaria that I have checked. I want to keep the paint for touch ups but am stuck with the smaller amount left in a 16 litre cubieta. (two of 'em) and if you don't think that takes up a lot of space in a small house, you'd be mistaken. I will follow any leads please. TIA

12 hours ago, Ferret said:

Where are you buying the containers with the tight fitting lids? I used to be able to get them from Comex but not recently. Sayer Lack doesn't have them either... nor any ferretaria that I have checked. I want to keep the paint for touch ups but am stuck with the smaller amount left in a 16 litre cubieta. (two of 'em) and if you don't think that takes up a lot of space in a small house, you'd be mistaken. I will follow any leads please. TIA

Tight fitting lids are a problem if you plan on keeping the left over paint for future use. If the can is metal it slowly rusts and no longer seals. I have bought plastic ones with tight fitting lids at Prisa which I then seal in a plastic bag so they will stay liquid longer. 

If you have enough, just dump them all in a single large container, like the +/- 5 gallon cubeta, and stir well.  Evaluate the color & even adjust it with dry pigments, or other paint, if you wish. You can always use it as a primer on the next project, or donate it to the anti-graffiti people.

On 9/14/2017 at 10:49 PM, Ferret said:

I don't buy containers with tight fitting lids for leftover paint. I use empty yoghurt containers, empty glass jars, etc. Those big plastic 1 litre jars that nuts are packaged in from Costco work well, too. I have a big plastic tote in my bodega where I keep these kind of useful containers. When storing paint, I find it also works well to drop a piece of saran wrap over the top of the paint before closing the container, keeps it from drying out or forming a rubbery film on top.

Archived