Chapala.com Webboard

Tony's "Campestre" Now Open

Ezzie

Tony's is opening a new location this weekend on the Chapala-Mezcala Hwy. just east of Santa Cruz (beside the water pumping station).  Apparently there is going to be a special menu to celebrate the grand opening.

The place has been open for months but seating has been outdoors. Perhaps they are now opening the inside, which was off limits except for the restrooms. I'd love to know more!

Tony's has leased the building on the south side of the highway in which a couple of other restaurants tried and failed - further to the west (closer to Santa Cruz).  I think it used to be called Restaurante Hacienda Don Emiliano.   It is the beautiful building with the raised roof over the dining area - sort of like an atrium.  Tony will no longer be operating in the front yard of his home further east near San Nicolas and will be apparently be open on weekdays as well at his new location there.  Another landmark, it is directly across the road from Mexico Rustico, the excellent custom furniture designer and carpenter (Luis Ibarra). 

Here is the street view of the place (looks better now).

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@20.319342,-103.14458,180h,5p,1z

• 3 weeks later...

Easy to find.  Take the road out towards the golf course from Chapala.  No landmarks necessary.  The picture of the building Tony 's restaurant is in is a good before picture.  It stands out from the road on the lake side with a big Tony's sign.  You can't miss it as you approach.  It is before San Nicholas.

Is it true that nearly all of the old Tony's crew, including the bartender, are no longer there? Sad if so. I understand Tony is no longer associated with that place and it is being run by the (ex?) wife and daughter? Perhaps the bartender will resurface at the new place. Life goes on and the party never ends.......

Not to hijack the thread but we ate at the original Tony's in SAT the other day and didn't recognize any of the staff. They were doing almost no business at what should have been peak lunch time. The lady who was always there making handmade tortillas wasn't there, and prices are up sharply. The arrachera, for example, is 199 pesos - more than we paid at Restaurante Lu's in Morelia last week (a renowned restaurant that has no equals anywhere around here). Still a nice atmosphere though. 

2 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Ajijic expat pricing. And from what I understand, Tony himself is pretty much hands-off these days.

Yeah, but no place here is gonna make it on expat business alone. Someone recently pointed out that a 3 course meal at the new place Elegante - which given its hours and menu is about as purely gringo-oriented as a place can be - is 245 pesos. Tony's has never been anything special but it's hard for me to see why (other than sheer convenience if shopping at Super Lake) anyone would go there now with Adelita's and Mario's just a few blocks away - among many nearby options. 

5 hours ago, ned small said:

Tony's father is running that place east of Santa Cruz it's open Fri.,Sat. and Sun. to cater to the weekend Tapatio crowd one could speculate.

We have eaten there three times and Tony was there each time. He was doing the cooking and even singing once.

We have eaten there three times and Tony was there each time. He was doing the cooking and even signing once.

As in, signing for the hearing impaired? I knew he was talented, but.............

•  

21 hours ago, canmex87 said:

We have eaten there three times and Tony was there each time. He was doing the cooking and even singing once.

It is ironic that one of the first things to keep me away from Tony's was his singing...

27 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

It is ironic that one of the first things to keep me away from Tony's was his singing...

Agree completely!  I was just hoping canmex87 was correctly describing Tony as SIGNING as opposed to singing. He obviously thinks he can sing whereas the vast majority of his customers tend to disagree. Always enjoyed his caldo de frijoles and those small chicken tacos with the fresh tortillas. Most of the other fare was better at El Sarape, IMHO. When he grabbed the mic our group was asking for the check.

• Ezzie changed the title to Tony's "Campestre" Now Open
On 10/11/2017 at 10:46 AM, ibarra said:

Remember Saturday Night Live -Croatians and Crustaceans!  Sorry, off topic, but I couldn't help myself.

Remember the Golden Girls episode about and with Marlo Thomas?

Went to there this evening and got the best pork ribs yet SOB. They were not boiled before grilling. Seven baby back ribs were all I could stuff down. There were some mosquitoes bothering us, so the waiter brought some repellent that worked. After the ribs I was given a finger bowl, a first for me lakeside. Will be back.

11 hours ago, dennis clark said:

What  else did they have to offer on the menu ? How much for a full rack?

If I remember correctly, the menu is the same as was at his place in SAT. There the ribs looked like a different cut.

Archived