Chapala.com Webboard

That is true, but there are different machines and often people have questions about the reading or what to do.  The person performing the test may have questions such as when did you last eat, are you on medication, do you have a doctor, do you test yourself etc.?

2 hours ago, Newjersey expat said:

That is true, but there are different machines and often people have questions about the reading or what to do.  The person performing the test may have questions such as when did you last eat, are you on medication, do you have a doctor, do you test yourself etc.?

All things anyone can do. I would suspect that you are going to have just 1 type of machine. Canadian and British machines are different calibrations than the ones used here and in the US. It's really a no brainer. The people being tested should be told to fast before being tested and then show the results to their doctor, in any event. You don't want the tester giving medical advice either,no matter what qualifications they claim. You really don't need to make this more complex than it is.

• 2 weeks later...

. The tester is told never to give advice but if a reading is very abnormal we have it double checked by another medical person.. If still abnormal recommend to see,  a physician. If one does not have one, go to Ajijic clinic.   Sorry but disagree on "all things any one can do."  Yes, I agree there are different machines, so if you are in a position of testing, one should be familiar with the common ones.  I think we are on different pages with regard to no brainer.   At LCS we are all professionals and do ask those questions. It actually doesn't make it more complex but assess whether certain behaviors are contributing to the reading and may lesson anxiety

I assume you know what influence blood glucose..

. It sounds like you are not in the medical field.

17 hours ago, Newjersey expat said:

. The tester is told never to give advice but if a reading is very abnormal we have it double checked by another medical person.. If still abnormal recommend to see,  a physician. If one does not have one, go to Ajijic clinic.   Sorry but disagree on "all things any one can do."  Yes, I agree there are different machines, so if you are in a position of testing, one should be familiar with the common ones.  I think we are on different pages with regard to no brainer.   At LCS we are all professionals and do ask those questions. It actually doesn't make it more complex but assess whether certain behaviors are contributing to the reading and may lesson anxiety

I assume you know what influence blood glucose..

. It sounds like you are not in the medical field.

Canada and UK non diabetic[4.5 mmol/L] and type 2 diabetic should maintain a reading below 8 and above 4 at fasting. A median of 6.5-7.5 is quite acceptable. the common tester available here is the same one primarily used  in the US  which checks in mg/dL Any one can do this simple test and why not have a list of doctors instead of referring to one clinic Apparently I  know more than you give me credit for. Let's just say that I  have certain experiences in certain medical areas including this. You just need to give the person doing the tests what the norms are and instruct them not to play doctor and give the tested person a list of MD's if their reading is not normal.

16 hours ago, ned small said:

Canada and UK non diabetic[4.5 mmol/L] and type 2 diabetic should maintain a reading below 8 and above 4 at fasting. A median of 6.5-7.5 is quite acceptable. the common tester available here is the same one primarily used  in the US  which checks in mg/dL Any one can do this simple test and why not have a list of doctors instead of referring to one clinic Apparently I  know more than you give me credit for. Let's just say that I  have certain experiences in certain medical areas including this. You just need to give the person doing the tests what the norms are and instruct them not to play doctor and give the tested person a list of MD's if their reading is not normal.

It would interest me to have the anonymous members come forth and explain why my medically accurate and educated opinion is worthy of the sad emoticon. have you ever consistently read The New England Journal of Medicine and the Lancet and do you have or ever have had a Merck Manuel and Vademecum[sic]in your library ?

I did not give you the sad faces, as you can see I speak my mind.. Certain professionals ( nurses) are educated to assess factors that may contribute to an issue. It may be "I just ate a liter of ice cream " or " I have had nothing to eat for 5 hrs."  There are many situations that could be easily taken care of and not require a physician visit.   So yes, I agree with you that the process of taking glucose readings does not require a mental giant. But I disagree that just being able to do it means it is safe practice. This seems to be getting a little silly.

Do you have a point you are trying to make??  I have made mine and do not want to continue this exchange.

Archived