Chapala.com Webboard

Libramiento speed advice

Bob Myers

I go between 60 and 80 and just ignore the crazy, useless speed limit signs, as does almost everyone else. Don't really want to go that fast,  but tired of getting honked at and passed by everyone when I go much less. In over 12 years I have never seen the police stop anyone there or even show a presence on that road. Sad and sometimes scary. It is a gold mine for speeding tickets if they ever enforced them.

I decided years ago that there is something about seeing tail lights that drives Mexicans crazy.  No matter how fast you go, someone will pass you, preferably on a hill or  a blind curve.

Until the cameras started showing up, speed limits were just suggestions.  

I drove the libramiento today and was amazed  by the speed signs coming from Chapala to ajijic going from 40 to 30 to 60 to 30 to 50 to 30 to 40 I think. I would have been rear ended several times if I had slowed that fast to comply. Just had to keep up with traffic kind of. Thought we were told to expect speed traps set up on the libramiento shortly. While driving over the set limit in all the speed zones to keep up with traffic I was still being past several times and had to break to allow a passer to break in b/4 oncoming traffic. I use to love dodgem car at the carnivals but this is a little much.    

I counted 10 different speed signs on that short stretch. And part way along they have that crazy traffic light that flashes red and orange. Nothing in the rule book as to what it is supposed to mean. They put one at the western entrance to Jocotepec also. Red flashing is supposed to mean stop and then proceed when clear. Orange flashing means caution. So which is it? 

Archived