Chapala.com Webboard

Modem question for ComputerGuy

econ man

Having read your comments on the possibility that newer TelMex modems may be limited to 5 mbs v older ones as well as your comments about VDSL, and with the knowledge that I currently have a Technicolor modem which I strongly suspect is randomly dropping the local Wi-Fi signal, if I were to purchase a modem on ML would you recommend an older Thomson or 2 Wire or a new Huawei 658D?

Assuming I would like to make a dent in both the 5mb speed limit and the crappy wi-fi.

And I will not hold you to it, just want a professional opinion.

Thanks

No, the older modems are going to be limited in their ability to receive the best DSL; you must have misread. Technicolor has always been the worst in terms of shelf life; Huawei has always been the best, except in the "old days" when 2Wire was tops here. Three years ago, the new Huaweis came with VDSL capability and a 10% greater wireless transmission range; two years ago, the new Huaweis came with a 10% wireless improvement over that.

The current range of modems on offer provides the maximum WiFi that any modem/router can. Anything more, you are going to have to buy specialized and expensive routers or extenders or powerline adapters.

You need to check with TelMex first as to the max speed available in your specific area, and to make sure your modem is tweaked as best it can be. That will depend on your model, too... and I do not keep a list or spreadsheet of modem capabilities.

Archived