Chapala.com Webboard

Forest Grill: Not up to snuff

ComputerGuy

We went on Saturday night, after watching the Globos, because he is open until 10pm. There was one table of six, getting pleasantly plastered.

Owner/chef Manuel was working by himself. As the other table had already ordered, that kept him pretty busy for 15 minutes before we could get drinks, but he was aware of us and apologized a couple of times. This kid was running between stations the whole time. We were inclined to just let it take its course.

It's an unusual menu, with four categories: appetizers, tacos, burgers, and sides.

Unfortunately, he didn't have many things on his menu; he had run out. Could do a shrimp burger; could not do a filet "burger"... could do a shrimp taco, but only one, and so on. Eventually we settled on ribs (a side) and french fries, because many taco items were unavailable. He offered to make a special vegetarian/shrimp dish, equivalent to two tacos, for my partner who doesn't care for anything picante (many of the dishes are).

He did cook as quickly as he could, and was very attentive. No problem there. The ribs, as a small portion of four shorts with lots of meat, were parboiled and then grilled, and very tender. I asked for Bufalo sauce, not realizing that's just hot wing sauce out of a jar. Flavour was average. The fries were amazing, superbly cooked and covered with bacon, cheese, jalapenos and ranch dressing. We did ask for them without jalapenos, but he forgot that part.

The "special" turned out to be two huaraches, with lots of nicely-grilled peppers and onions, and three shrimp. Unfortunately, even though my partner went to the "kitchen" to ensure nothing was picoso, it was pretty picoso. He forgot again. These huaraches were fair-sized, and made of very nice corn flour.

Sounds not too bad so far, right? Except for two things: my partner couldn't eat much of anything, because of the heat. And when we got the bill, almost everything was wrong. Pop was listed at 20p; we were charged 25. Limonada was 25p; we were charged 30. And the "two tacos" huaraches... well, at $120p, that was unacceptable. So apart from questioning the bill, we asked him about the special. He said normally he would put four or five shrimp on a taco, yet here we were with two "tacos", being charged for four, with three medium shrimp (also cooked with chiles).

He was very polite, but not happy, when he dropped the special price to 60 and corrected both drink prices. We left a decent tip, and without much humour. The guy can cook, but he needs to get his poop together.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x842f440648183ec9%3A0xe0f8cc5e9a328208!2m22!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i20!16m16!1b1!2m2!1m1!1e1!2m2!1m1!1e3!2m2!1m1!1e5!2m2!1m1!1e4!2m2!1m1!1e6!3m1!7e115!4shttps%3A%2F%2Fpicasaweb.google.com%2Flh%2Fsredir%3Funame%3D104777825626755962808%26id%3D6438977822088941010%26target%3DPHOTO!5sforest grill menu ajijic - Google Search&imagekey=!1e10!2sAF1QipNN-gKYGXuG3zITf_drfNo_SJkkkkTF1C-NVrVn&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjcqe_51p3WAhXFp5QKHec8BxUQoioIygQwZA

EDIT: Location: Immediately west of Rio Bravo, on the mountainside, which is before the Plaza Comercial La Huerta on the west side of Ajijic.

Archived