Chapala.com Webboard

Keureig Coffee Maker

gwynne

Time for a new coffee maker and I LOVE flavored coffees.  I'm not interested in the one they have at WalMart because you have to use THEIR pods.  I want a Keurig because (if I understand correctly) if you run out of pods, you CAN use generic coffee.  Now the problem is where to find one.  Someone said there's a store in Guadalajara on Avenida La Paz that carries all things coffee.  Has anyone been there?  Do you know approximately WHERE on La Paz it is?  Or......any other ideas of where to find a Keurig?

Do some research if you're planning to not use the pods. Some models require them. I checked into another brand, planning to use universal cups that you refill. They have a habit of breaking the part that pierces the cup. Destroys the machine.

Like I said, research it a bit, lots available online. File under: Nothing is simple.

Honestly if you like flavored coffees and are living down here you're better off buying instant flavored or looking into the flavored creamers. Capsule and pod systems are very expensive on a per-cup basis, the coffee is lousy and the whole point of those systems is to lock you into buying the company's refills. Mexico is Nespresso and Nescafé territory, not Keurig so if you go that route I suggest buying a cheap Nespresso machine at Wal Mart and buying their capsules. 

Flavored coffee (other than café de olla) isn't popular here, but on the other hand Nescafé quality is easily as good as much of the brewed coffee you can buy. 

More on coffee options on my blog post about it here:

http://eatinglocalatlakeside.blogspot.mx/2012/06/buying-brewing-good-coffee-at-lake.html

Mexico does not sell Kureg pods here.....I am not sure why Costco would sell them....but we have also been told you can buy pods at Soriana....but they were Nescafe...

Absolutely not true. I was just in Costco this afternoon and they have a Keurig machine for sale and also large boxes of pods. First time I've seen one here but they were there today on an end stack.

Absolutely not true. I was just in Costco this afternoon and they have a Keurig machine for sale and also large boxes of pods. First time I've seen one here but they were there today on an end stack.

It being Costco, right now is the only time you can count on the machine and pods being there. No one should purchase the machine assuming Costco will continue to sell the pods. You could go back in a month (or two weeks) and it all could be gone never to be seen again.

It being Costco, right now is the only time you can count on the machine and pods being there. No one should purchase the machine assuming Costco will continue to sell the pods. You could go back in a month (or two weeks) and it all could be gone never to be seen again.

They are also available "on line" at Costco.

After a day of searching, here's what we have found:  Yes, Costco has a lovely Keurig machine and lots of pods....including a generic Kirkland brand pod for the Keurig machine.  BUT....while we were looking, a nice young Mexican man walked by, looked at the price ($1,500.00) and said he should have waited because he paid $2,000.00 for the same machine last week.  To me, that sounded like Costco was trying to get rid of them (and they would never be seen again).  We went on to Liverpool (nada), Best Buy (nada) and Sears (nada).  HUGE displays for the Nescafe machine.

Result:  We bought a Krups machine at Costco and I'll start searching for flavored creamers to fill my flavor-fix.   

I DID find an aluminum dish drainer that was on my wish list....so the trip was worthwhile.

After a day of searching, here's what we have found:  Yes, Costco has a lovely Keurig machine and lots of pods....including a generic Kirkland brand pod for the Keurig machine.  BUT....while we were looking, a nice young Mexican man walked by, looked at the price ($1,500.00) and said he should have waited because he paid $2,000.00 for the same machine last week.  To me, that sounded like Costco was trying to get rid of them (and they would never be seen again).  We went on to Liverpool (nada), Best Buy (nada) and Sears (nada).  HUGE displays for the Nescafe machine.

Result:  We bought a Krups machine at Costco and I'll start searching for flavored creamers to fill my flavor-fix.   

I DID find an aluminum dish drainer that was on my wish list....so the trip was worthwhile.

I think you made a wise choice, Gwynn. Which Krups machine did you get at Costco? 

Yes Costco, Galerias, has the Keurig machine for $1499 and the Kirkland dark roast pods for $899. That is .43 cents each, not too bad for purchase here. I was a bit tongue in cheek regarding going to US to get more pods but you could fill up a med bag with hundreds of pods for a small extra bag fee. Kirkland or Starbucks has far superior coffee than is available here. There is a reason that in all of Starbucks coffee blends there is not one single Mexican variety in them. 

Archived