Chapala.com Webboard

Scam Caller back from vacation

We got a call yesterday from our gringo-ish scam called. This time he got my husband to volunteer his name because the connection was bad. He hung up and re-called and I answered. He said he wanted to talk to his Uncle ***. I asked his name and he said he didn't want to spoil the surprise...I insisted and he said he was his nephew Johnny...I told him to go #&*?!

Just wanted to alert the group that he is back from "vacation" and eager for victims...

Wish that were true, Tingting. First, a very small percentage of foreigners living here read this (or any other) web board. Second, apparently the scammer is very, very good. Heard about the friend of a friend who just got taken for 12,000 pesos. They read this web board.

I have had a few over the years. and I try to keep them busy talking to me as long as I can. They usually have a few facts right but get most of them wrong. The last person who tried somehow thought my last name was Johnson, not Johanson.

I get them on my US internet phone too. But usually they are from a tech support team from Microsoft and ask me to turn control of my computer over to them, so that they can take care of the bad virus I have (really to steal information so that they can have access to credit cards )

It's fun to string them along acting really dumb  and finally telling them, of I forgot to pay my internet bill, I am not connected to the internet or telling them oh, I only have an apple computer you need to talk to my son, he works for Microsoft too.

Just don't tell them any true facts, that someone might use later.

We haven´t had a scam call since about a year after we took our name out of the Telmex telephone directory. It costs a few pesos a month to unlist our number. This was about 3 years ago. I feel they used the phone directory as the reference to call us and knew we lived in a upscale area.

Next time he calls one of you, ask him if when he was a little boy and people asked him what he wanted to be when he grew up, if his answer was "I want to be a sleazebag telephone scammer".

Or tell him  you kept him on the phone so long because you're sitting there with your son-in-law who's a federale and he was tracing the call.

Archived