Chapala.com Webboard

Dog Surgeon , I need one

I will be moving to lakeside soon, I have a dog with a knee cap that pops out , she needs surgery but they want $3000 where I live to do it. We come there often and are planning on moving in early spring. I will be bringing my dogs next month for 10 days and will also need a vet for a health certificate. Any help is appreciated. 

I am guessing that maybe the problem is luxating (sp?) patella; I am sure that there are a few surgeons who would handle this type of surgery Lakeside.  We have always sought the advice and attention of Ladron's clinic for our dogs and would highly recommend them.

See Dra. Berenice at the Pet Place in Plaza Interlago.  Before opening her own clinic 3 years ago she did most of the surgery for the Ladron clinic!

I'm sorry, but you are 100% INCORRECT...... yes she did lots of spay and neuters surgeries, but never complicated orthopedic surgeries, etc. while she was there.

Hector Ladron out here, or his uncle Antonio Ladron in their clinic in Guad -- either way you can't find any better.

There is a vet in Guadalajara who does joint surgery.  Can't remember his name but I'm sure someone here will post.

It I still Dr. Velazquez. Dr. Berenice at Pet Place sends all her patients there for any orthopedic surgery. He fixed a screw up that Ladrone did on my dogs torn ligament where he used wire instead of nylon thread. A few years later the wire broke. Very painful. My dog I see fine now. Dr. Berenice's husband will drive your dog in and bring him home. I am assuming your dog has luxating patella which is common for small dogs. BTW! The charge for Dr. Valazquez to do the surgery was only 800p, plus mess & anesthesia. He was very reasonable. He teaches vet orthopedics at Univ. of Guadalajara.

She did way more than spay and neuter!  Were you in on the surgeries?  Sheesh!  Regardless, she's very talented.

There are some things that people "know". I would not argue with Natasha about what happens at the Ladron clinic. She and her husband are the go to Dog and cat people and are personal friends of Antonio.

I've never heard of her in my 12 years here.  We used Ladron Clinic for many years until Dra. Berenice opened her clinic.  She's been very successful and has a large clientele.  Why would "Natasha" attempt to dis her skills and experience?  

Its no surprise that you have never heard of "Natasha", just as she has never heard of "El Saltos".  Who knows, you may have met somewhere but this is what happens when you don't know each other's real name.  I do know "Natasha" and I know that she knows an awful lot about the Ladron clinic, and has dealt with them for many years in various capacities. I doubt she is trying to "dis" anyone, but just wants to clarify the situation to the best of her knowledge.

...and will also need a vet for a health certificate. Any help is appreciated. 

I have driven across the border for twenty years each way with my dogs and have never been asked about a health certificate on either side. I have never flown in or out with a dog, so I have no idea if they are checked that way.

Its no surprise that you have never heard of "Natasha", just as she has never heard of "El Saltos".  Who knows, you may have met somewhere but this is what happens when you don't know each other's real name.  I do know "Natasha" and I know that she knows an awful lot about the Ladron clinic, and has dealt with them for many years in various capacities. I doubt she is trying to "dis" anyone, but just wants to clarify the situation to the best of her knowledge.

She implied that Dra. Berenice wasn't skilled in any surgeries besides spay and neuter which is simply NOT true!

El Saltos, I think you read into it things she wasn't saying.  This thread is about orthopedic surgery.  You recommended Dra. Berenice to do it because she used to do "most of the surgery" at the Ladron clinic.  Natasha clarified that although Dra. Berenice did many more simple surgeries there, the more complicated orthopedic surgeries were never done by her.  Joyfull stated that even today, Dra. Berenice still sends the pets to Guadalajara for orthopedic surgeries and does not attempt to do them herself. Natasha's point, which Joyfull confirms, is that Dra. Berenice does not have the experience at this point to handle more complex orthopedic surgeries which you were recommending her for, that's all. 

I think that folks who choose to use Ladrone Clinic are being a bit defensive. I used them once about 7 years ago for a serious health issue. They came up with an expensive surgery. I did a bit more checking around, determined what was actually wrong, treated it and the problem has never come back- - no costly surgery needed. We are fortunate to have many wonderful, competent Vets in the area. Options are always good. And yes I do use Dra Bernice.

Gimpy Chimp said:  "......You recommended Dra. Berenice to do it because she used to do "most of the surgery" at the Ladron clinic.  Natasha clarified that although Dra. Berenice did many more simple surgeries there, the more complicated orthopedic surgeries were never done by her......"

Exactly. I did not dis Berenice.... in fact she's a lovely person and I'm sure good at many things. I simply corrected an incorrect statement about her time at Ladron's clinic.

Archived