Chapala.com Webboard

Tijuana to Ajijic

Sam Laundon

My wife and I will be coming to Ajijic for the first time at the beginning of October and we will be crossing the border at Tijuana. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to stay along the way from Tijuana to Ajijic? We will probably take 3 or 4 days to make the trip. Our Spanish is very limited, so hotels with english speakers is important.

Thanks in advance - Sam

Our Spanish is very limited, so hotels with english speakers is important.

Sam, when you walk into a hotel they know why you are there. Study a few words and pantomime the rest to ask to see a room and ask how much. Your going to have to anyway and check out the hotels and try along the way. No reservations is cheaper and the flexibility for the drive allows maximum choices. Do not stop at a motel as they aren't family orientated and usually have a garage per room.

You may find it more convenient, and cheaper, to drive to Tucson, then take I-10/I-19 south to Nogales and cross at the Mariposa crossing.  It will save you time and gasoline, which is much more expensive in Mexico, and put you on route D-15 from Nogales to Guadalajara. It is a safe and easy drive on that toll road, with many cities along the way with fine hotel options. Just consult your map and plan to stop in the late afternoon to check into a hotel and find the restaurant options long before dark.  Enjoy your trip.

Archived