Chapala.com Webboard

Update on Telmex speed issue

econ man

Please feel free to weigh in with opinions.

Original issue was neighbors getting 8 megs, us only 5, all paying for up to 10.

Called Mexico City, very polite and helpful, in ingles; checked the system,  said there were settings that could be optimized. Said most of it would probably be done on their end, but if needed a tech would call, gave me a work order number.

Next day a tech calls and (as always, and maybe this is just procedure) has no idea what the complaint is. Shows up 10 minutes later, spends 1.5 hours using his meter, making phone calls, mostly waiting for something to happen. At the end of that time, directs us to the home site of the modem and shows us that their (Telmex) diagnostics indicate the download speed is 12 megs (claims it was only 6 before "tweaking" took place). Directs us to speedtest which indicated, you guessed it, 5 megs. Says their data is "real", other speed test sites are unreliable.

Did not really have a (polite) response prepared for this.

Their speed tests are the same as everyone else's; I've used it. Your modem setting is probably Maxed at 12; that can be changed from Mexico City, but has nothing to do with the actual speed you are getting. The local guys have no frikkin' clue; not the office employees or the linesmen. (They are really good at phone stuff, though, when they want to be.)

If you are on the same box as your neighbour, then you can get what your neighbour gets. But the problem area needs to be tracked down. If you are getting 6, then it is most likely not physical.

I would call again.  Very much like home; just keep hammering at them until you  get a bright one who actually does something.

I am in Mazatlan. Over the last 4 or 5 years I have experimented with several of the modems that Telmex gives us to use. I have found that there are some modems that seem to be set or fixed at a download speed of 5 Mbps and there is nothing we can do to get them to go faster. Whether a Telmex tech can get them to run faster than that by changing some options, I do not know. But as you can see, the techs do not seem to know about the modems having a set download speed, or they would do something to help cure your problem. And it may be that these modems, like yours, have a fault that will not allow them to go above 5 Mbps.

If your neighbor will allow you to do it, ask to borrow their modem and put it on your line. I would not be surprised if you find that you also get a download speed of 8 Mbps or greater using the neighbor’s modem on your line. Or if not the neighbor, see if you can borrow someone else’s. If you get the higher speed with another modem, you should ask Telmex for a replacement modem for yours.

In particular, I am talking about the Huawei HG532e modem. And it is possible some of the earlier Huawei modems do the same thing. I have had, over time, two of those HG532e modems that would not go over 5 Mbps. In one case, I replaced it with another Hg532e and that gave me greater speed. In another case, I had another 532e that would not go over 5 Mbps and I replaced it with an earlier model Huawei modem and that also gave me a higher speed. 

The Internet speed test that most people go by is at www.speedtest.net. I’d say it is as good as, or better and a more accurate speed test, than Telmex’s.

I have posted this same information before, but I am doing it again so that those who are reading the above posts have a better idea how things work. And, yes, my speed is faster than some of you are getting, but it is less than half of what some are getting now in Chapala

I have had the same older Thomson Modem for more than 8 years (I think)  During that time, the powers that be have entered my modem and changed the maximum speed allowed a handful of times. I am able to enter my modem with my laptop and my screen will display what speed they have set. And when I do a speed test my results are about 85% of those set in my modem. How do I get into my modem to see what Telmex has set to control my speed, I think I go to  192.168.1.254  (Why don't I know? I am on another computer at another location as I write this.)

I am paying for the $389 package which gives me a speed up to 10 Kb/sec download speed

My settings show 12.5?? down by 0.612 Mb/sec up  Doing a speed test I get about 85% thereof often about 10mb/sec down by 0.5mb/sec up and that is what I am paying for.

Now according to a Telmex office computer checking my account. My modem is 1070 meters from the internet connection point (Dslam card) and that my connection could handle higher speeds. It's just that they do not have the extra bandwidth to offer higher speeds in my neighborhood at this time.

I hope this explanation helps you understand a little more about how Telmex internet works.

I can't find it at the moment, but TelMex uses Ookla, so rest assured almost all tests are the same.Try Bell Canada's/Netflix's test. Or speedof.me. It is important for any speedtest server to put a large file out for downloading. The longer the test, the more accurate the results. We used to do this long ago with tucows.com, by picking a huge file and watching the count in Windows as it downloaded.

I reiterate, you must know how to read the firmware in your modem, or you may be misinformed. Note from this screengrab of my own modem that there is a downstream rate (blue arrow) and a maximum downstream rate (red arrow). (Also note that it says my line standard is VDSL.)

If your max rate is set too low, then your actual rate is going to be... obviously... low. This can be changed quite easily by TelMex technicians in CDMX. Your area and your modem type will determine what that is. VDSL plays a big part; older modems with only ADSL shown cannot get the new, higher speeds. That's why they spread millions of the new modems around last year.

Any technician worth his salt will ask you what these settings are, as well as the SNR margin and line attenuation. Then, adjustments will be made.

Finally, the older HG532e Huawei modems are not capable of VDSL. But you don't need to, and would not be wise to, simply go in demanding a different modem, just because your neighbour got a better speed. It's quite possible he has different settings.

HUAWEI Home Gateway HG658d.jpg

To Computer guy: speedtest.net is Ookla.

To Johanson: The Telmex 389 peso package says you are supposed to be able to get  UP TO  10 Mbps download speed. The settings in your modem that Telmex has set up in your modem software would allow you to get a download speed of 12.5 Mbps, if your house was sitting next door to the Telmex facility that provides you with Internet service. The further your house is from their facility, the more the speed will decrease. Same with the upload speed. If your house was next to the Telmex facility, theoretically your uploads would be at ,612 Mbps.

What you are seeing is typical of what people in Mazatlan with the 389 peso package get. About 9 or 10 Mbps download speed and about .5 Mbps up, depending upon how far they are from the Telmex facility.

Using WiFi, as long as your computer or other device is close to the modem, it should not matter, compared to readings using Ethernet. Try testing using the Ethernet and then try using WiFi. I think you will find they will both show very close or the same speeds. 

I do both. There isn't that much difference at the speeds I get in Ajijic. But if I had a much faster connection like I get up north, the difference between WiFi and cable is even a greater % difference but the speeds I get. However either way the speeds are more than I need. so I usually fgr WiFi

Archived