Chapala.com Webboard

Costco Shopping

willtravel

Sorry to contradict El Saltos, but I buy a good plonk here at La Paz in San Antonio for 89 pesos and the cheapest comparable in Costco is 126 pesos. I used to buy all my wines at Costo but have not for a long time although I check their shelves every month when I go there. They used to carry an excellent French wine for 101 pesos but it appears that was a one time effort.

Perhaps especially Costco but really anywhere in Mexico: If you see something you really like buy as much of it as you can depending on your storage room and how long it will stay good. You're not NOB anymore and it will surely disappear before you are ready for seconds. Just one more of Murphy's Laws. If you like things from the import store, make a run before the Snowbirds show up as that's one of the first places they go. Many of them have learned and they buy enough for their entire stay. We all know how long it takes for a restock of those items.

Derailing the thread, but yes, they are the only instant mashed that actually taste like mashed potatoes instead of some chemically-induced "similar".

You really didn't de-rail the thread. The original question was "what do you buy at Costco?"

You also wisely hit on a topic that we all consider, living here... how to live healthy with as few preservatives (other than Margaritas <g>) as possible!

T.P.!!

How many sheets on a Kirkland roll of T.P? How many sheets on other brands of T.P.?

Why does it take only 1 sheet of Kirkland Paper Towel to clean a window and four of another brand? And the Kirkland brand will still be in one piece but the others are in shreds.

So, are we talking about COST or VALUE?

How many sheets on a Kirkland roll of T.P? How many sheets on other brands of T.P.?

Why does it take only 1 sheet of Kirkland Paper Towel to clean a window and four of another brand? And the Kirkland brand will still be in one piece but the others are in shreds.

So, are we talking about COST or VALUE?

You are entirely correct about the paper towels.  And, hopefully discreetly, the same can be said of the toilet paper.  For those who have endless storage, this works.  Not so sure about little bitty casitas re those 40 rolls of Kirkland T.P.

I agree, Ferret. Hensley is referring to toilet paper. Of course, Costco is not the cheapest on that, either, but in size and quality they are tops. Same with paper towels and many other items. Costco does not claim to be the cheapest other than when comparing identical items, not just a generic product. If you want cheap and don't mind inferior quality Costco is not the place to shop.

You see many middle class Mexicans shopping at Costco. They don't generally buy their vegetables or meat at the Tiangus or other local shops. As many have said, quality, not the cheapest.

I actually prefer Kleenex toilet paper, which I have only found at Mega in 4 roll packs. What I don't get is that Costco sells Kleenex paper towels, but not toilet paper.

And I'm not pleased that they seem to have replaced the Edwards frozen key lime pie with "Jon's", which is grainy and not nearly as good.

Also one of the reasons I joined Costco was for their multigrain bakery loaves. Now, at least at the PV Costco, they only make it on the weekends, when I never drive into PV. They also stopped carrying their own Kirkland brand of packaged multigrain bread and now only carry Orowheat, which is so sweet it's disgusting, or very expensive organic multigrain.

I still like Costco, but they don't seem to be nearly as consistent with their stock here in Mexico as up north. But yeah, I know we're not up north.

Would someone who can recommend a delivery service from Costco to Lakeside please PM me with contact info on that? TIA.

I actually prefer Kleenex toilet paper, which I have only found at Mega in 4 roll packs. What I don't get is that Costco sells Kleenex paper towels, but not toilet paper.

And I'm not pleased that they seem to have replaced the Edwards frozen key lime pie with "Jon's", which is grainy and not nearly as good.

Also one of the reasons I joined Costco was for their multigrain bakery loaves. Now, at least at the PV Costco, they only make it on the weekends, when I never drive into PV. They also stopped carrying their own Kirkland brand of packaged multigrain bread and now only carry Orowheat, which is so sweet it's disgusting, or very expensive organic multigrain.

I still like Costco, but they don't seem to be nearly as consistent with their stock here in Mexico as up north. But yeah, I know we're not up north.

Costco NOB does the same things. They are constantly rotating different items in as they get good buys on products. If you Google them you will also see that 3 or 4 times a year they intentionally move things to different areas of the store. Why? They claim when the customers have to go on a "Treasure Hunt" to find something they are exposed to more products and spend more. Here in PV they love to move the bottled water which everyone knows is a bargain, LOL.

• 2 weeks later...

For somethings, I check the Costco website (as well as Walmart's website). I just bought a wrist blood pressure monitor on Costco's website. This model is not carried in the store. I got free delivery to my place in Guadalajara. I don't know about delivery to Lakeside. 

Archived