Chapala.com Webboard

Costco Shopping

willtravel

It's not just a matter of cheaper or better- Costco carries items which are not available at Walmart or other grocery stores, unless they have purchased them at Costco and then mark them up. Aged cheddar cheese, large bags of snacks made with organic ingredients, marinated frozen wild salmon filets, good quality linens, to name a few. Plus their return policy, in my experience, is far superior to anywhere else.

Costco has the best prices on wine and liquor, period.  We also find good quality linens there and US sized clothing in addition to paper products, US beef, pet food, US and European cheeses, salami, artichokes, sweet corn, breakfast sausage, and a host of other things you won't find at Wally world.

I get Idahoan Mashed Potatoes there. Expensive, but ever since that guy moved back to Texas and quit smuggling Idaho potatoes here, the Idahoans have been a good fall-back. Pancho has them once in a while at SuperLake, but he gets them from Costco, too, I believe.

image.jpeg.379dce561a9ac262f4d1963a43c93d3c.jpeg

38 minutes ago, Aquaponicsman said:

I get Idahoan Mashed Potatoes there. Expensive, but ever since that guy moved back to Texas and quit smuggling Idaho potatoes here, the Idahoans have been a good fall-back. Pancho has them once in a while at SuperLake, but he gets them from Costco, too, I believe.

image.jpeg.379dce561a9ac262f4d1963a43c93d3c.jpeg

Those are by far the best instant mashed potatoes I have found and much cheaper than buying them by the individual pouch at Wally. Their hashbrowns are also excellent as long as you don't overcook them. Follow directions and do not turn them. If you have to have both sides brown stick em under the broiler of your toaster oven for a minute.

Being a cost conscious shopper I checked Consumer Reports and discovered that there is a list of items (very popular, as per above) that are actually more expensive at Costco than at grocery outlets like Walmart. It doesn't stop me shopping there for the items that aren't available locally but you can check out the reports (google works) and make up your own lists of what's worth driving in for... And if you don't want to make the trip (I never go during school holidays) there is a perfectly competent shopping service that goes on Tuesdays, delivers to your house on Wednesdays. I've used them before and never had a problem. And yes, paying their small fee is way cheaper than the gas + wear & tear on my car. Happy shopping!

Kirkland basil pesto. The deli whole roasted chicken is exceptional. Japanese Gyozas - pot stickers. They are packaged in trays, frozen with the liquid they cook in. You plop the whole thing in a pan and admire the cleverness. Case of small water bottles, 50p

Everything that folks said above. I use the shopping services for the huge convenience, especially the great prices on Kirkland dog food that I don't have to lug around myself.

Being a cost conscious shopper I checked Consumer Reports and discovered that there is a list of items (very popular, as per above) that are actually more expensive at Costco than at grocery outlets like Walmart. It doesn't stop me shopping there for the items that aren't available locally but you can check out the reports (google works) and make up your own lists of what's worth driving in for... And if you don't want to make the trip (I never go during school holidays) there is a perfectly competent shopping service that goes on Tuesdays, delivers to your house on Wednesdays. I've used them before and never had a problem. And yes, paying their small fee is way cheaper than the gas + wear & tear on my car. Happy shopping!

Consumer Reports provided Mexican Walmart prices?  Could you give some examples of items that are more costly at Costco?

We go every couple of months and stock up on the U.S. stuff we find indispensable.  While it is true that Walmart made it possible to take the Costco trips less frequently, there are things Costco has and generally their quality is superior to Walmarts.  We didn't keep our Sams Club membership even though Sams is just a short hop down Lopez Mateos from Costco because of the quality issue.  

Having Costco, even though a bit of a hike to get there, in this area so far from the U.S. is a major benefit for the expat who lives here IMO.

Being a cost conscious shopper I checked Consumer Reports and discovered that there is a list of items (very popular, as per above) that are actually more expensive at Costco than at grocery outlets like Walmart.

This would be the Mexican Consumer Reports, right?

Sorry to contradict El Saltos, but I buy a good plonk here at La Paz in San Antonio for 89 pesos and the cheapest comparable in Costco is 126 pesos. I used to buy all my wines at Costo but have not for a long time although I check their shelves every month when I go there. They used to carry an excellent French wine for 101 pesos but it appears that was a one time effort.

Archived