Chapala.com Webboard

Pueblos Magicos more about money?

Mainecoons

http://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/magical-towns-more-politics-than-tourism/

The Pueblos Mágicos program was designed to promote tourism but an industry representative claims that the scheme is more about politics and that many towns awarded the designation lack the infrastructure to cater to visitors’ needs.

The president of the Mexican Travel Agency Association, Jorge Hernández Delgado, says decisions about which destinations receive the “magical towns” designation come down to negotiations between state governors and federal authorities and money is the main motivator.

In an interview with the newspaper Milenio, Hernández said that in their eagerness to receive federal resources, state governments will do everything they can to get the elite status, such as building infrastructure or remodeling town squares and historic centers.

The federal government allocates large sums of money annually to the upkeep of magical towns, meaning that inclusion on the list can translate into a windfall.

Hence the interest in this locally?

No wonder they keep pushing for the designation, they only want more money from the Federal Government .

IMO, Ajijic is very far from the pueblo magico designation, but I would not be surprised if they get it because of political interests in the area. Real State price will surely raise if they obtain the designation .

Well of course we have, that's not the point.  What I find interesting here is the source of the candor and criticism of the program.  Why the locals push for it is obvious.

I doubt this would be a good thing when placed in the hands of a government that takes from all but spends mainly on one.  Given the condition of the infrastructure in this town we don't need more visitors.  However, there is no shortage of accommodations here between the hotels and B&Bs.

I don't see any place at "the trough" for an association of travel agencies.  They were mainly addressing the program has degenerated into pork for local politicians and also that it doesn't address the question of hotel space.  I suggest you direct your question to them.

4 hours ago, Xena said:

Sounds like the Mexican Travel Agency Association never had or lost its place at the trough. This has been going on for a long time. Why the "candor" now? 

4 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

I don't see any place at "the trough" for an association of travel agencies.  They were mainly addressing the program has degenerated into pork for local politicians and also that it doesn't address the question of hotel space.  I suggest you direct your question to them.

In Mexico there is always a place at the trough somewhere. Those that can not find or get one then complain about those who did. Of course the problems actually do exist. It's just that they are not mentioned until someone is missing out. I directed my question here as part of this discussion. I mentioned what it "sounded" like. I could, of course, be wrong. I am surprised that the first to doubt the supposition is the person who most believes in the absolute corruption in Mexico. 

3 hours ago, Xena said:

In Mexico there is always a place at the trough somewhere.

Are you suggesting everyone in Mexico is corrupt?

I don't assume this association is corrupt and I think they are making some pretty good points here after having visited some of these very dubious "Pueblo Magicos."  There's some pretty scruffy ones in there. :)

However, perhaps you have made a good point with that statement.  Seems a lot of Mexicans agree with you.

http://mexiconewsdaily.com/news/government-is-corrupt-but-so-are-citizens/

Please note the primary source is OECD.

Anyway given your first statement, you must be referring to yourself with this statement since I haven't reached the point where I agree everyone is "at the trough" in this country. :)

3 hours ago, Xena said:

I am surprised that the first to doubt the supposition is the person who most believes in the absolute corruption in Mexico. 

Your words, not mine.  :D

I guess it only seems as though you see all of Mexico as corrupt. I may be thinking of your many, many, many posts about local government. I honestly don't know if this Association is sincere or not. I just threw out the possibility of what is behind their commentary. I thought you would understand cynicism and belief in bad intentions since it is your go-to position with local government. I happen to agree that PM status would be a very bad thing for Ajijic and also that they will likely get it because the concept has been politicized into meaninglessness. I remain suspicious of the motives and timing of the Association.

Actually, and like most Mexicans as well, I see government as mostly corrupt here and, again, like every Mexican I know from gardener right up to abogados, I believe the local government is quite corrupt and the results are right in front of our eyes, from that rotten Bridge To Jesus to the piles of trash and potholes.  The latest grand theft government:

http://www.animalpolitico.com/estafa-maestra/

And while you are complaining with that exaggerated "many many many posts" comment you might want to notice that it is you who turned this thread into a discussion of corruption, local or otherwise.

How you extended my clearly stated and generally shared belief that government is corrupt to claiming I see everything as corrupt is beyond me but I have noticed you like to read things into my posting that is not there.  I'll ask you again to read more carefully and cease putting words and meanings into my posts that are in your head, not in my posts.

As per the OP I see nothing there except some candid observations from people in a position to know about how this very well meaning program has been turned into a pork machine.  I agree with what the Association is saying and because I DON'T think everything in Mexico is corrupt and I DON'T automatically suspect everyone of corruption as you seem to be doing here.  I don't see ANYTHING in this piece that warrants that suspicion.

And if you want to carry on a personal discussion here, which as you know is strongly discouraged on the open board, please use PM.  Thank you.

Since this is my thread and you decided to make it personal, I get to decide to close it.  So I did.

Archived