Chapala.com Webboard

Ajijic/Chapala subdivisions

ccw

On 9/4/2017 at 0:38 PM, Yo1 said:

La Reserva sounds like your kind of place.  No chickens or horses roaming around and no barking dogs.  Also no Mexican kids playing the streets.  Also, no Mexican experience or being connected to the culture.

I always find it kind of hilarious when people who don't live in gated communities but think they know all about them,  and don't approve of them as what they feel to be a true experience of living  in Mexico,  don't realize that numerous Mexicans who can afford them, also buy in gated communities. 

Regarding internet speeds, the farther west of Ajijic you go, the slower the speeds. From previous posts, fiber optic lines pass by Chapala Haciendas on the highway out of Chapala on the way to Guadalajara and they have some higher speeds. In Ajijic centro we get 5-7mb. Some in Las Salvias get a bit higher. 

3 minutes ago, tomgates said:

Regarding internet speeds, the farther west of Ajijic you go, the slower the speeds. From previous posts, fiber optic lines pass by Chapala Haciendas on the highway out of Chapala on the way to Guadalajara and they have some higher speeds. In Ajijic centro we get 5-7mb. Some in Las Salvias get a bit higher. 

I am west of Ajijic, past Los Sabinos but before the first Pemex, and we get 10mb.  I think it varies all over because I have heard of low speeds in Riberas and someone else in Riberas once posted that they were getting about 20mb.

12 minutes ago, gimpychimp said:

I always find it kind of hilarious when people who don't live in gated communities but think they know all about them,  and don't approve of them as what they feel to be a true experience of living  in Mexico,  don't realize that numerous Mexicans who can afford them, also buy in gated communities. 

How would you know if I now, or ever, have lived in a gated community?

Just now, Yo1 said:

How would you know if I now, or ever, have lived in a gated community?

I don't, and I didn't say whether I knew your circumstances  or not.  However, your comment inferred that La Reserva is a place unlike what some people think of as the "real Mexico" in the village of Ajijic, for example. Mexicans own property in there and they do have children and grandchildren who can play in there .  There are barking dogs nearby, just like everywhere in  Mexico.  

Although you suggest that you can do without a vehicle, you 'may' find that you will be able to accomplish much more while here the first time by renting a car. There are a couple of places/people who rent older vehicles at a very modest rate. I have nothing against riding buses but you may find that 1) a bus may not go near a place you really want to check out, or 2) they do but you will 'waste' a lot of time waiting around for the bus to come, going the direction you want to go. 

In any respect, enjoy your trip and your hunt!

On 9/4/2017 at 1:24 PM, ccw said:

Yes, those maps were developed by former long time resident Tony Burton (see each map) and are still the go-to maps. Interesting that accesslakechapala.com is using them, but hopefully they have rights assigned by Tony.

1 hour ago, tomgates said:

The OP should also be aware/reminded that just because a location is said to have a certain rate, those rates can be and often are different from house to house within the location depending on the condition of the wiring/connections etc. (talking mostly about TelMex DSL here...)

Also, that there are at least 3 ways to get an Internet signal.... telephone lines (TelMex DSL), cable Internet (Telecable) and cellphone signals (usually TelCel). Yes, cellphone Internet can get expensive but should be checked out if for only a backup. 

About having no car, we did without one for the first six months and it really got quite exhausting trying to get errands done.  Some people do fine without one.  I think it really depends on your lifestyle.  You can use cabs.  We got really tired of that as well.

4 minutes ago, Zeb said:

About having no car, we did without one for the first six months and it really got quite exhausting trying to get errands done.  Some people do fine without one.  I think it really depends on your lifestyle.  You can use cabs.  We got really tired of that as well.

Same experience .. agreed.

Guest English Rose
4 hours ago, cstone said:

I live here without a car. Occasionally I ride to CostCo with my neighbors who have a car. They have the car, I have the CostCo card. Works out all around. Now, we use the Lakeside Shopping Service and it definitely curtails that impulse buying !

We chose a location with easy access to the bus. That is usually my mode of transportation. I can walk to WalMart or ride the bus, and take a taxi back with a full trunk. I walk to Riberas and SuperLake, too. For visits to GDL, I know how to take a bus from Chapala and take taxis in the city. For the airport, I have a regular driver, and for major DR appointments when I can't take the bus, I have the same driver.

Living without a car can be done, and it isn't that hard. We had no car for 11 years before we came here, so it was not a big deal. We certainly do miss the marvelous train system of Tokyo, but that was another world and a long time ago now. As we age, we are considering a golf cart, as from where we live, we can get many, many places by the back roads. 

Many good replies here but I think cstone has given you the better one considering buses, shopping and walking and getting around to things you will need/want. Welcome to the expat community.

We recently helped some people to find a rental in Las Brisas, a true gated community in the hills, very quiet,very safe. Two bedroom, two bath, its own heated pool, and complete solar power system. Pretty, clean house, panorama lake view. The renter only pays for gas and high speed internet (10 mps). $650 U,S, per month. The only minor downfall is the owners stay in a separate and private casita for two months a year.  You need a car - about 10 minutes (one mile) to Chapala, or 15 to 20 to Walmart area. There are still lots of places around, you just have to keep looking. Once your name becomes known as a responsible renter, willing to chip in for the small stuff, you will get all sorts of offers. We get them all the time.

Peopled who are accustomed to having a car, or 2, will find it very helpful to have a car here. Everyday errands, getting bags of salt for the water softener and the pool, shopping, going to the beach or Texas, etc etc. I have taken some of these carless people to Costco and they bought so much stuff I hardly had room for my stuff! 

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 0:24 PM, ccw said:

Can everyone give me comments or feedback on subdivisions in Ajijic and Chapala?  We are looking for a quiet neighborhood, 2-3 bedroom, house (maybe a closed apt), reliable internet, garden, possible access to a pool. We will not have a car. 12 month rental around $1100. I am not looking for specific rentals, just areas to research.

My advice - your lack of knowledge of the area will impede your decision making ability.   In your position I would pick something in Upper La Floresta.   Might be tight on an 1100 dollar budget but probably doable.

I have sent you a PM message.  We will be in Baltimore - Ridgley's Delight at the Inner Harbor area between the stadiums - for about 10 days in October.  Let's get together.  We've been here almost 13 years from Ohio.  Hopefully you have seen all the YouTube videos entitled:  Ajijic, Chapala, Lake Chapala, Jocotepec.  There are oodles of them and they give out great information and of course, visuals.

Archived