Chapala.com Webboard

Buying a new toilet

Al Berca

Or you can buy a regular  height toilet (16- 16 1/2") and have a plumber make a 2 -  2 1/2" concrete base on which to mount the toilet.  Then use small ceramic tiles on the lip to match the toilet/floor or whatever. Looks fine and if you've ever broken a hip or whatever the increased height is better. 

5 hours ago, Al Berca said:

Any place to go locally other than Amutio and Casa del Plomero? Thanks.

Mr. Pool: Locally, no.

Are you looking for something special? Or just a toilet? We bought one from Amutio, after checking all over the place and finding we could ONLY get beige or white, which is a real annoyance. Then, the in situ toilet got fixed. If you are on FaceBook, you can see it here at Beg/Borrow/Blah... https://www.facebook.com/groups/785666514831385/permalink/1517065028358193/?sale_post_id=1517065028358193

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

We got our new toilets in Guadalajara at El Surtidor -  lots of selection. Round and oval, low and high...the ones made in Mexico (Helvex) were more affordable and very similar to USA made. I must say the toilet seats were kind of cheap though...you may want to splurge on a better quality seat. We got the ones that go down slowly/silently.

They have an online catalogue and they deliver....google...

When I first moved here two of my four toilets needed to be replaced as they had heavy mineral deposits in the bowl. I told the contractor to replace them. Little did I know that he would put such small crappy ones in. Now I would shop very carefully myself for replacements.