Chapala.com Webboard

ÜBER

Kyle

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I was going to a hearing I showed a client my ap at around 2pm and there were 4 Uber cars around downtown Chapala and 3 by the libramiento / Walmart area. 

I took Uber to downtown Guadalajara the other day from Ajijic. It ran around 280MXN. I tipped going up and coming back in cash. The driver I drove up with lived in guad but drove here since there were so few drivers and he's constantly busy. My first attempt I waited a half hour for an uber then  he cancelled a minute away. Guess he didn't want the fare. On the second attempt my uber arrived within minutes and was happy to drive up. He said Guadalajara is flooded with drivers and the average fare is 30MXN. Soon the drivers will figure out the secret and lakeside will be overrun with eager uberers. 

Also. Uner drivers may not get a tip from the app. Not sure because it's not clear on where the tip applies. But It's nice to tip if you can. uber is streamlined  to be used without cash. Although there is a pay in cash option if you choose. But Uber drivers in the states and I'm assuming here rate the passenger just as we rate the driver. US drivers give you a higher rating influenced by tips. The higher your rating the less time you'll end up uberless in the rain. I think you're  rating starts after the fourth time 

You have to know that an Uber driver sees your name and your star rating. A bad rider, no tipping, will have the driver give you a bad rating. You request a ride and the driver can see your low rating and ignore you. Fair warning.

5 minutes ago, tomgates said:

You have to know that an Uber driver sees your name and your star rating. A bad rider, no tipping, will have the driver give you a bad rating. You request a ride and the driver can see your low rating and ignore you. Fair warning.

And if I see a driver gives me a bad rating because of this I give this driver a 1 star rating. If enough people do this Uber removes this driver from the system. Fair warning.

Seriously, if you expect tips from riders you are having the wrong job. One of the main reasons people use Uber is the price and that's why Uber exists anyway. So tipping makes it more expensive which is not why people use Uber. Besides that I hardly ever carry cash with me and you can't tip in the app so tipping is not doable in most cases for me anyway.

Absolutely they do what they want! So if they want to pick up a rider rider with 4.7 and ignore the rider with a .01. That is an independent choice. Drivers don't have to pick up a rider. Uber knows they can pay next to nothing targeting Groupon shoppers! Uber used to keep people in the dark about their rating. Afraid of losing the "bargain" hunter crowd. Now it's right under their picture. Hi! I'm so and so! I'm a .01 and I need a ride. Just sayin. If it's too good of a deal. Someone somewhere is losing. With uber it's the driver. Take advantage of iit now. Eventually its just gonna be another yellow cab or fast food delivery service. 

If you ever saw episode 1, season 2 of BLACK MIRROR, you would know that this "social scoring" is going to be the downfall of our lives in the future. Everything we do will be judged instantly, because everyone will rate our every action instantly on their cell phone. The rating will go... not just to "friends of friends" but to everyone on the network. Your values and life will be judged worthy or inadequate by people you will never meet.

Watch the upcoming movie The Circle, based on the fascinating little novel by Dave Eggars. About a Google-like organization that actively promotes this kind of social judgment.

To be judged by a taxi company? Pah.  Thank god I'll be dead by the time this poop hits the fan...

12 hours ago, Bajabrady said:

Absolutely they do what they want! So if they want to pick up a rider rider with 4.7 and ignore the rider with a .01. That is an independent choice. Drivers don't have to pick up a rider. Uber knows they can pay next to nothing targeting Groupon shoppers! Uber used to keep people in the dark about their rating. Afraid of losing the "bargain" hunter crowd. Now it's right under their picture. Hi! I'm so and so! I'm a .01 and I need a ride. Just sayin. If it's too good of a deal. Someone somewhere is losing. With uber it's the driver. Take advantage of iit now. Eventually its just gonna be another yellow cab or fast food delivery service. 

Exactly. At the current low pricing, Uber is simply financially unsustainable for Drivers. As drivers realize this and leave,  Uber must be constantly seeking to hire new drivers until they quit, also. As the word gets out I see significant price hikes or the end of Uber.

Not that anyone cares but I think competition brings prices down whereas monopolies, like yellow cab was and airport taxes are, drives them up.   Uber’s business model suggest Lyft, a similar service, will keep prices competitive.  To forecast the future I feel it would be necessary to impact the future of autonomous vehicles and proprietary patents held by Uber and Lyft in that acre.  Too, I like that background checks are used for drivers which goes a long way for the end user, us.  Obviously these companies are breaking new ground and fraught with challenges but so were startups like Dell Computer etc.   Personally I’d make my investment with Uber and Lyft before considering Yellow Cab.   As for the drivers, the claim is they are making close to 10,000 pesos a week on average.   I use Uber quite a bit in Mexico City and have never met a driver who’s regretted his decision to go Uber.  Thus I would predict Yellow Cab going out of business before Uber.  One caveat - unless of course Yellow Cab adjusts their business model.

unfortunately they have started a tipping service. fortunately not in mexico. yet. as the fares are reasonable i tend to give them something for a long ride. not much chance of a return fare from here to gdl.

https://www.uber.com/en-MX/ride/how-it-works/tips/

Too bad. Stick with the principal.

Is there anyway to  book Uber ahead of time? I can't figure that one out.

here at the moment you cant but in some cities you can. Maybe in the future this service will be available.

But for an early morning trip to gdl i think i would rather trust a local like miramontes or alex peterson who are reliable .

here at the moment you cant but in some cities you can. Maybe in the future this service will be available.

But for an early morning trip to gdl i think i would rather trust a local like miramontes or alex peterson who are reliable .

Thanks but Alex is too busy.

Hmm - what I mean is he bought a car model which Uber recommended, he mean't to help out a friend. But the numbers, as I described, didn't work, so he sold that car to someone else. Isn't it like taxis, where the owner gets most of the profit (and paperwork) and then in off times the vehicle is leased, or rented, whatever you want to call it.

I thought the big deal about Uber, in the U.S. anyways, was ride sharing. You have to share the ride with strangers but it is very economical - say Chapala to Guadalajara. Maybe computer based dispatch systems make that easy now.

Is there anyway to  book Uber ahead of time? I can't figure that one out.

Was surprised in Ottawa, in July, to learn I could book an Uber in advance for my airport trip, or anywhere else. (Some cities have Uber-like car services, with rates much cheaper than airport taxis.)

Archived