Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard

Shaw Direct missing channel


Recommended Posts

When giving channel numbers you need to identify the name of the channel. Why? Because those of us who have had Shaw Direct for many years when it was still owned by Star Choice have the classic channel listings. You with newer accounts have the new TV schedule which is different. I for example I get CNN in SD on channel 500. CNN in HD can be found on channel 95

Persons with newer accounts have different channel numbers.

And we all know that Shaw Direct is upgrading to Mpeg-4 and older receivers can not receive Mpeg-4.  Only the 600 series and new 800 series receivers can pick up the channels once they upgrade to Mpeg 4

Link to post
Share on other sites

HiDef channels are aleady being moved over to the newer satellite at the rate of a few every month. I don't know about regular def channels.

A list of sorts is kindly being provided here by a member of digitalhome.ca: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/11-shaw-direct-satellite/159494-shaw-direct-free-previews-thread.html#post2954386

Link to post
Share on other sites

592 and 595 are coming in fine for me (on Anik F1 at 96 signal strength).  What receiver are you using?  If you have 300 or 500 series box the problem may be that these channels have switched to MPEG-4 and you can no longer decode them.  I am using only 600 series receivers.

There are a lot of people freaking out about losing channels because Shaw is moving them off of the older two satellites and onto the new 3rd satellite.  This is not really what is happening (yet).  Maybe over the course of the next 10 years they MIGHT do this as the satellites we receive signal from are nearing end of life - but for now they will need to continue broadcasting on the older satellites until every subscriber in Canada has been upgraded to new dishes with the new LNB's.  This will take a long time and so will not affect us here until such time as they shut down the old satellites.  When will this happen??  Who knows.

For now the issue is to upgrade to the new 600 series HD receivers.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Ezzie, I phoned my satellite  dealer yesterday in BC and asked him to order me a couple of 600 series receivers. Guess what I just learned. The dealer told me Shaw has  upgraded to the 800 series models. When I double checked by going on line. Shaw Direct only showed the 800 series receivers for sale on their webpage . Also if one wants to pick up all of the channels from all three satellites one does not need a new satellite  dish up north, he only a new LNB capable of picking up the added frequencies that the new satellite broadcasts at 97.3 where Anik F1R already is. Sadly this new Satellite called Anik G1 has a signal more closely following the Canadian border and does not reach this far south let alone the Mexican boarder  Apparently with a 2.4 meter dish you might get the Anik G-1 signal as far south as San Francisco. 

 I suspect that some retailers might still have some 600 series receivers available until they are sold out, but apparently Shaw is only shipping the 800 series

Please someone, if you know that this latest information I just posted is wrong, correct me. I think but do not know that all of the  above is true. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Ezzie.  I have two 600 series recievers & 75 dish.  My Shaw is my own acct from Canada

595 CNN is now coming in.  WHO KNOWS WHY......  592 Nat Geo I still not up .   What I was wondering is - my gardener was lopping off branches over the dish.  I know some fell on the dish.  If the dish is out of sync would it just affect two channels??   I would think it would affect many more but I know nothing......

Link to post
Share on other sites

My satellite dish needs to be boresited or tuned in, that is; it is pointed a little off and my signals still come in but are a little weak. Now when it is cloudy I often loose the HD feed of CNN which on the classic lineup is on channel 95. My standard definition CNN (Channel 500) usually comes in. In my case I usually loose my CNN HD channel more easily than any other HD channel.

My National Geo HD channel comes in loud and clear on channel 91.  Channel 92 is National Geo. Wild HD and I get the standard grey box with Receiver has lost signal ..........   message. I am using the 75E dish with matching quad LNB. I am not sure but I don't believe I have been able to get this channel for quite some time or if ever.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, johanson said:

My satellite dish needs to be boresited or tuned in, Ie; it is pointed a little off and my signals still come in but are a little weak. Now when it is cloudy I often loose the HD feed of CNN which on the classic lineup is on channel 95. My standard definition CNN (Channel 500) usually comes in. In my case I usually loose CNN more easily than any other HD channel.

My National Geo HD channel comes in loud and clear on channel 91.  Channel 92 is National Geo. Wild HD and I get the standard grey box with Receiver has lost signal ..........   message. I am using the 75E dish with matching quad LNB. I am not sure but I don't believe I have able to get this channel for quite some time or if ever.

Who would you recommend to re tune my dish.  I know a few guys I will not allow back.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tuning in a satellite dish is quite simple for the satellite expert. Up north I repoint my dish quite often. Why? Because I live in a condo and my 60E is mounted on a large piece of wood that sits on my desk and points to the south out my window . And often when I open or close my curtain, I accidently move the dish. (Yes the signal reaches through the window and the curtain to my receiver) and just 10 feet away is my TV and I can use the receiver signal strength meter displayed  on my TV screen, while moving my dish.  Down here because the Sat Dish is on the roof and the rates are so low and the experts are better than me, I like using someone like Mario who works for and with Mike Maryman at Ajijic Electronics at 766-1117.

There are several other great folks out there as well

Link to post
Share on other sites

In our RV days, we had a dish that we mounted on a tripod.  Whenever we relocated to a new RV site, we had to set it up on a long cable.  To aim it, we had a little signal strength meter that we could temporarily insert between the dish and the cable and it worked quite nicely; much easier than shouting back and forth to another person in the motorhome watching the TV.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, windstar said:

Who would you recommend to re tune my dish.  I know a few guys I will not allow back.

windstar can you pm me who you would not allow back. There is one on my list.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Windstar,

An easy way to check the signal strength (on your 600 series receiver) is to tune to the channel you are having difficulty with then on your remote, press the MENU OK key. 

Scroll to the right with the right arrow key until the little gear icon is highlighted (called Settings Menu) and press the ENTER OK key.

Once in the Settings Menu, scroll to the right again to the rectangular looking icon (called the Status menu) and press the ENTER OK key.

You are now highlighting the System Status icon.  Press ENTER OK again and a bunch of technical information about the channel you are tuned to.

At this point, press the little round RED "A" key on the remote and you will get a signal strength display.

This will show a different signal strength for each channel you tune to so it would be helpful for us if you could tune to 592 and tell us what the reading is.  If the bar display is green and above about 85 (meaning about 85%) you should be receiving the channel just fine.  If the bar graph is in the yellow or even red then you likely have a dish alignment issue.  If your dish is slightly off you could experience some channels not being seen but others that you can see.  I have a dual dish setup with a separate LNB on each dish (a converted Direct TV setup) and a 4x4 combining switch and I am currently getting a signal strength of 84 (in the yellow) for 592 (NAT GEO WILD) and 95 (in the green) for 595 (CNN HD) but still getting both stations fine.  You can see how much variation there is from channel to channel so if your dish is off just a tiny little bit - you may have a problem getting 592 because it looks to be a slightly weaker signal from the transponder it is using.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ezzie said:

Windstar,

An easy way to check the signal strength (on your 600 series receiver) is to tune to the channel you are having difficulty with then on your remote, press the MENU OK key. 

Scroll to the right with the right arrow key until the little gear icon is highlighted (called Settings Menu) and press the ENTER OK key.

Once in the Settings Menu, scroll to the right again to the rectangular looking icon (called the Status menu) and press the ENTER OK key.

You are now highlighting the System Status icon.  Press ENTER OK again and a bunch of technical information about the channel you are tuned to.

At this point, press the little round RED "A" key on the remote and you will get a signal strength display.

This will show a different signal strength for each channel you tune to so it would be helpful for us if you could tune to 592 and tell us what the reading is.  If the bar display is green and above about 85 (meaning about 85%) you should be receiving the channel just fine.  If the bar graph is in the yellow or even red then you likely have a dish alignment issue.  If your dish is slightly off you could experience some channels not being seen but others that you can see.  I have a dual dish setup with a separate LNB on each dish (a converted Direct TV setup) and a 4x4 combining switch and I am currently getting a signal strength of 84 (in the yellow) for 592 (NAT GEO WILD) and 95 (in the green) for 595 (CNN HD) but still getting both stations fine.  You can see how much variation there is from channel to channel so if your dish is off just a tiny little bit - you may have a problem getting 592 because it looks to be a slightly weaker signal from the transponder it is using.

 

Thanks for the info.  I Googled Shaw set up manual for 75cm dish.  Tuned to Channel 700 & saw a green bar 90.  Channel 595 yellow bar 67.  Channel 592 red bar 43.  I have a friend coming over this pm with a meter to help me adjust the dish.   You got me started in the right direction.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes Ezzie. Those are great instructions.  And work great with 600 series receiver.  Sadly all I have up North is a 500 series, and there it is done a little bit differently. This way is much easier.  Well soon my two older 500 series receivers are about to be replaced with two 800 series units, one of which will returning with me for the second TV down here

After following your instructions I saw that it was time to go up to the roof balcony and visit my 75E satellite dish and it's matching Quad LNB.  And yes in my case it is time to work with the connections and to  have the experts point the dish for me.

I guess I am getting old, I would rather pay someone to bore site my dish in down herein Jalisco than to try to do it myself.

Up north where it costs a lot more, I shall try to do it myself, as usual.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/2/2017 at 3:14 PM, Ezzie said:

There are a lot of people freaking out about losing channels because Shaw is moving them off of the older two satellites and onto the new 3rd satellite.  This is not really what is happening (yet).  Maybe over the course of the next 10 years they MIGHT do this as the satellites we receive signal from are nearing end of life - but for now they will need to continue broadcasting on the older satellites until every subscriber in Canada has been upgraded to new dishes with the new LNB's.  This will take a long time and so will not affect us here until such time as they shut down the old satellites.  When will this happen??  Who knows.

For now the issue is to upgrade to the new 600 series HD receivers.

Categorically wrong, sad to say. Check the link I provided to see what channels are being moved off and which ones have left already. In fact, that website chat board is a wealth of information concerning Shaw. I have lost SuperChannel on two of my boxes: a 600 and a 605. Interestingly, some folks who have two single LNBs and a non-Shaw dish, are still getting those channels. All the HD channels are going over. We will be left with the SD channels for a long while, however. My problem? I like HD, and SD looks pretty sad compared to it.

Also? The 600 series, in conjunction with the new LNBs, are perfectly capable of receiving those missing channels.

The 600 series is on its way out; I have already been offered deals on the new and already shipping and in-use 800 and 830 boxes by Shaw. Unfortunately, they won't get the third dish either, because as Pete says, the footprint doesn't come anywhere near us.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The link you provided was to a "Free Preview" thread and I don't see where it says that Shaw is actually shutting down the broadcast of any of its HD channels that are currently being carried on either of the satellites we receive signals from (Anik F2 or F1R) and broadcasting them ONLY on the G1.  What I do see in some Shaw discussions is that the plan is to shut down the SD channels that are broadcast in HD as well on the F2/F1R satellites but to keep the HD versions that are already there (for now).  There are probably thousands of dishes out there on Canadians's homes still that are not capable of receiving signals from the G1 satellite so it is going to take some time before Shaw disrupts the current HD broadcasts they are doing from F2/F1R.

There are some channels that are currently broadcast in HD ONLY from G1 that we cannot get (such as CBC News Network) but we can still get that in SD for now.

As far as I can figure out, the reason why some dish/LNB setups can "see" some channels that others can't depends on what MAP Status the receivers are configured to.  If all of the receivers on any one account are different or if there are multiple and different dish/LNB combinations on any one account it can become a configuration nightmare to try and setup and maintain.  This is especially problematic when trying to get support from Shaw for these remote installs.

The 800 series receivers appear to be functionally identical to the 600 series, in fact if you click on the documentation for the receivers on Shaw Direct's web site - up comes the 600 series manuals still.  Looks like they are just switching suppliers (from Motorola to Ariss).  The 830 PVR actually has less features than the 630 PVR (no status lights or front panel clock display) but it does have a larger capacity hard drive, USB 2.0 port and is WiFi capable.  Prices are the same as what the 600 series receivers were.  I think I will stick with the 600 series for now and wait for others to see how they work down here.

  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Whoops, sorry... too many pages open at the time. I can't seem to find it again. I will get on that. I have already lost a few channels, most notably as I said SCH 1 & 2, but also some movie channels. Actual account holders received mails several months ago detailing the changeover and the timeframe, which I scanned and posted here back then.

Meantime, here are channels moving away this month:

( sept 19 & 21 )
CMT HD
DTOUR HD
Gusto HD
Teletoon (Francais) HD
Animal Planet HD
BNN HD
Cooking Channel HD
Crime + Investigation HD
OWN HD
RDS Info HD
Travel + Escape HD
Yes TV HD
Max HD

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ezzie said:

As far as I can figure out, the reason why some dish/LNB setups can "see" some channels that others can't depends on what MAP Status the receivers are configured to.  If all of the receivers on any one account are different or if there are multiple and different dish/LNB combinations on any one account it can become a configuration nightmare to try and setup and maintain.  This is especially problematic when trying to get support from Shaw for these remote installs.

The 800 series receivers appear to be functionally identical to the 600 series, in fact if you click on the documentation for the receivers on Shaw Direct's web site - up comes the 600 series manuals still.  Looks like they are just switching suppliers (from Motorola to Ariss).  The 830 PVR actually has less features than the 630 PVR (no status lights or front panel clock display) but it does have a larger capacity hard drive, USB 2.0 port and is WiFi capable.  Prices are the same as what the 600 series receivers were.  I think I will stick with the 600 series for now and wait for others to see how they work down here.

If you have multiple boxes, you obviously need to keep track of them. I have been dealing with Shaw for a very long time, and am quite familiar with the setup. That does not account for the movement of channels on a properly configured 600 series box with the correct LNB setup.

Yes, as far as we know, the receivers are "functionally" identical. I believe there is more memory for the OnScreen Guide, and a variety of software changes for other technical reasons, but to the user, it will pretty much look the same. You can order PPV using the WiFi; the 830 has a new UHF antenae; and the USB allows for easier external storage on the 830.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Channels changing through 2018; as you can see, while a lot won't affect most of us, a lot will, such as the major US networks.

Big Ten Network (BTN) HD 112 612 HD Convert to MPEG4 HD Tuesday, September 19, 2017 410 124
Sportsnet East HD 103 603 HD Convert to MPEG4 HD Tuesday, September 19, 2017 416 117
Sportsnet One HD 107 607 HD Convert to MPEG4 HD Tuesday, September 19, 2017 414 110
Sportsnet Ontario HD 104 604 HD Convert to MPEG4 HD Tuesday, September 19, 2017 417 118
Sportsnet West HD 105 605 HD Convert to MPEG4 HD Tuesday, September 19, 2017 418 119
Stingray Juicebox 530 159 SD Convert to MPEG4 SD Wednesday, October 11, 2017 - -
Stingray Loud 586 227 SD Convert to MPEG4 SD Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - -
Stingray Retro 588 229 SD Convert to MPEG4 SD Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - -
Stingray Vibe 587 228 SD Convert to MPEG4 SD Tuesday, October 24, 2017 - -
TVA Sports HD 265 445 HD Convert to MPEG4 HD Tuesday, October 31, 2017 747 747

2018 Upcoming Conversions
Channel Classic Advanced Current Resolution Action New Resolution Customer Impact Date SD Equivalent - Classic SD Equivalent - Advanced
CBC Calgary 306 015 SD Convert to MPEG4 SD Tuesday, May 29, 2018 - -
PBS Spokane 374 091 SD Convert to MPEG4 SD Tuesday, May 29, 2018 - -
OMNI.1 343 042 SD Convert to MPEG4 SD Tuesday, May 29, 2018 - -
CHEX 348 048 SD Convert to MPEG4 SD Tuesday, May 29, 2018 - -
CTV Two London 349 049 SD Convert to MPEG4 SD Tuesday, May 29, 2018 - -
CTV Two Barrie 346 044 SD Convert to MPEG4 SD
Tuesday, May 29, 2018 - -
CBC Ottawa 303 045 SD Convert to MPEG4 SD Tuesday, May 29, 2018 - -
CTV Two Atlantic 340 062 SD Convert to MPEG4 SD Tuesday, June 5, 2018 - -
CKWS Kingston 334 054 SD Convert to MPEG4 SD Tuesday, June 5, 2018 - -
OMNI.2 395 043 SD Convert to MPEG4 SD Tuesday, June 5, 2018 - -
CTV Ottawa 311 046 SD Convert to MPEG4 SD Tuesday, June 5, 2018 - -
Global Saskatchewan 337 030 SD Convert to MPEG4 SD Tuesday, June 5, 2018 - -
CTV Sudbury 356 050 SD Convert to MPEG4 SD Tuesday, June 5, 2018 - -
CBC North (Yellowknife) 333 014 SD Convert to MPEG4 SD Tuesday, June 5, 2018 - -
CTV Two Vancouver Island
(CTV2 Victoria)
389 008 SD Convert to MPEG4 SD Tuesday, June 5, 2018 - -
PBS Buffalo 388 081 SD Convert to MPEG4 SD Tuesday, June 5, 2018 - -
CBS West HD 065 565 HD Convert to MPEG4 HD Wednesday, June 6, 2018 381 084
NBC West HD 063 563 HD Convert to MPEG4 HD Wednesday, June 6, 2018 379 082
ABC West HD 064 564 HD Convert to MPEG4 HD Wednesday, June 6, 2018 380 083
Fox West HD 066 566 HD Convert to MPEG4 HD Tuesday, June 26, 2018 382 085
Food Network HD 129 629 HD Convert to MPEG4 HD Tuesday, July 17, 2018 561 194
HGTV HD 127 627 HD Convert to MPEG4 HD Tuesday, July 17, 2018 564 192
Space HD 087 587 HD Convert to MPEG4 HD Tuesday, July 17, 2018 528 169
Fox East HD 061 561 HD Convert to MPEG4 HD Tuesday, July 17, 2018 363/365 078
NBC East HD 058 558 HD Convert to MPEG4 HD Tuesday, July 17, 2018 360 075
ABC East HD 059 559 HD Convert to MPEG4 HD Tuesday, July 17, 2018 361 076
CBS East HD 060 560 HD Convert to MPEG4 HD Tuesday, August 7, 2018 362 077
PBS East HD 062 562 HD Convert to MPEG4 HD Tuesday, August 7, 2018 364 080
City Toronto HD 035 535 HD Convert to MPEG4 HD Tuesday, August 7, 2018 344 040
Global Toronto HD 032 532 HD Convert to MPEG4 HD Tuesday, August 7, 2018 331 039
ICI Tele Montreal HD 210 380 HD Convert to MPEG4 HD Tuesday, August 28, 2018 700 700
V Montreal HD 212 382 HD Convert to MPEG4 HD Tuesday, August 28, 2018 721 721
TVA Montreal HD 211 381 HD Convert to MPEG4 HD Tuesday, August 28, 2018 711 711
12 French Radios - - Radio Convert to MPEG4 Radio
Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - -
ICI Tele Estrie (SRC Moncton) 729 729 SD Convert to MPEG4 SD Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - -
V Sherbrooke 726 726 SD Convert to MPEG4 SD Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - -
TVA Sherbrooke 718 718 SD Convert to MPEG4 SD Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - -
TVA Gatineau-Ottawa (TVA Hull) 713 713 SD Convert to MPEG4 SD Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - -
TVA Saguenay (TVA Chicoutimi) 717 717 SD Convert to MPEG4 SD Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - -
TVA Rimouski 716 716 SD Convert to MPEG4 SD Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - -
Canal Savoir 720 720 SD Convert to MPEG4 SD Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - -
TVA West 714 714 SD Convert to MPEG4 SD Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - -
Avis de Recherche 731 731 SD Convert to MPEG4 SD Wednesday, September 12, 2018 - -
CTV Toronto HD 034 534 HD Convert to MPEG4 HD Tuesday, September 18, 2018 313 038

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am an actual account holder and received no notification of any hardware upgrade requirements but I have never had anything other than 600 series receivers on my account..

Thanks for the above list ComputerGuy - it is good to know.  This is the schedule of when each channel is going to convert to MPEG4 (which requires the 600 or 800 series to decode) but what makes you think they will be moving any of the existing HD channels we can get off of either F2 or F1R satellites??  On my setup here I can still receive Super Channels 1&2 in SD on channels 260 & 261 and in HD on channels 651 & 652.  These are being broadcast currently on F2 in QPSK. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ezzie said:

I am an actual account holder and received no notification of any hardware upgrade requirements but I have never had anything other than 600 series receivers on my account..

Thanks for the above list ComputerGuy - it is good to know.  This is the schedule of when each channel is going to convert to MPEG4 (which requires the 600 or 800 series to decode) but what makes you think they will be moving any of the existing HD channels we can get off of either F2 or F1R satellites??  On my setup here I can still receive Super Channels 1&2 in SD on channels 260 & 261 and in HD on channels 651 & 652.  These are being broadcast currently on F2 in QPSK. 

 

Using the meter we improved the sig strength from 7.5 to 9.   However checking the sig strength on Shaw setting saw only slight change.

Ch 700 green from 90 to 95; Ch 595 red 65 (but it is viewable)  Ch 592 red 41  ( receiver lost satellite) ;   Ch 651 & 652 red 40 (no pict or message)  .

Ch 260 &   261 yellow 80  (message not subscribed).   We have Platinum Package

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was up North, last June I phoned up Shaw Direct on several occasions and what bothered me most was that I would get what I thought was an important piece of information, post it here, only to learn later that what I was told was incorrect. I will be up north Wednesday if the flight isn't cancelled and will try again to learn more. I will also be able to see any letters recently sent to me by Shaw Direct.

The latest rumor I have heard, which may be false is that we don't need the new LNB down here and that we will not be cut off from all channels should we not have an LNB able to pick up Anik G-1. Time will tell. I shall pick a new Quad4 LNB for my elliptical dish, just in case what I have heard is another false piece of info. I will not install it though, until I have to.

All I know is that I do need new receivers to replace my old 500 series receivers if I want to get Mpeg 4

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...