Chapala.com Webboard

DUI checkpoint

tomgates

Then it is possible the DUI checkpoint might be here at La Floresta AGAIN this weekend also. Does that person who was going to have  drivers to drive a one, two or more drinks driver thru the checkpoint without getting arrested, put in jail for a couple of days, car confiscated and fines all totally $5,000 maybe even up to as much as $10,000 pesos in business NOW!  Good to know because I almost always have 1 or 2  drinks while dining out on weekends and $300 pesos or so, for a driver to drive me 1 mile, to me is cheap and comforting to know that I will NOT be spending time in jail etc,etc, like others who are our neighbors who only had One or two drinks and ended up in jail. 

Love it.  Keep these checkpoints coming!  Nobody tolerated drunk driving NOB , why are we  not all clapping hands and supporting this effort here.  Too many lives have been lost to this.  Make the penalties as high as possible I say!   Viva Mexico!!  Set em up all over Lakeside every weekend all weekend and maybe we will get less "party crowds from the city" on  weekends.  We all need to support and encourage this effort.  Well done Jalicso!!!!

Fair question.  We aren't clapping hands because (1), the standard is ridiculously low and (2) the way it is enforced is thuggish, regardless of whether those entrapped and manhandled are expat or Mexican.

It has been proven that people who use cell phones while driving are just as impaired as real drunk drivers.  Do you favor manhandling like this too?

I'm not going to touch a drop when I eat out and I'll let the restaurant owners know why.  

That's why.

10 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Fair question.  We aren't clapping hands because (1), the standard is ridiculously low and (2) the way it is enforced is thuggish, regardless of whether those entrapped and manhandled are expat or Mexican.

It has been proven that people who use cell phones while driving are just as impaired as real drunk drivers.  Do you favor manhandling like this too?

I'm not going to touch a drop when I eat out and I'll let the restaurant owners know why.  

That's why.

I agree!

Having a lot of DUI checkpoints in random places will be applauded by most people, especially if they understand that it might also be a neat way to get a peek into vehicles when looking for narcos, sicarios, & other bad guys while they are trapped in a line of cars.

We need to keep the alerts coming. The BAC levels are too low to be anything other than a shakedown.

In my prior life I worked with legal aid and surprisingly had many clients in the USA on bogus DUI/DWI charges.

In the USA, DUI/DWI is a money-racket $25K - $35K (more than a year's salary for most Legal Aid clients) at substantially higher (but realistically not dangerous BAC levels)

I want drunks off the street... at least kept from behind the wheel.  I have family dead from drunk drivers.

However, I do not want people pulled over by government agents with guns, representing the most corrupt government ever in Mexico, to test to see if the driver had a half a beer.

I don't want to associate with police here, even on weekends at the family estate. (We have family members who are policia.)

What makes anyone believe cops or the government have your best interests at heart?

They do not.

I guess this is a no win situation for Jalisco, damned if they do, damned if they don't. I think it is obvious who the target group is and it is not us, but the tapatios. They are the same ones everyone is complaining about and yet, when something is being done, complain about that also. Bunch of wash women.

Actually,There are several factors to consider .   Weight, medication , dehydration and of course strength of the drink .    Some IPA beers are less than 5% alcohol .  So for a man who weighs approx 200 pounds , It would be safe to have that one IPA Beer with your meal .  On the other hand Barb is 110 pounds and drinks 2 glasses of wine with her pizza  Within An hour , she may be buzzed .  Depending on alcohol content .  (Most wines are 12%) . 

Seems to me that what Jalisco has done is taken a look;you can do this easily; at what a lot of the rest of the world is doing and chosen to follow not the harshest of laws. Some of us don't like the lower end of the Jalisco law, but if you care to check, it could be far worse elsewhere.

I have had clients who were crashed into by locals who were drunk, no license and no insurance and the MP has done nothing and the bad guys would rather pay attorneys to fight then to pay for repairs, it is silly and these checkpoints need to be until 3am not 11pm or 12pm, the crazy crashes happen later. 

They still stop persons who purposely run red lights. I know. I ran one two days ago where one could see that there was no cross traffic. Sadly I neglected to look behind me where a Transito truck was. The driver stopped me and I immediately got out of the car and told him I knew what I did and that I was guilty.  The officer did his duty and we both drove on. Speaking Mexican Spanish made things go much more smoothly and rapidly.

6 hours ago, Aquaponicsman said:

We need to keep the alerts coming. The BAC levels are too low to be anything other than a shakedown.

In my prior life I worked with legal aid and surprisingly had many clients in the USA on bogus DUI/DWI charges.

In the USA, DUI/DWI is a money-racket $25K - $35K (more than a year's salary for most Legal Aid clients) at substantially higher (but realistically not dangerous BAC levels)

I want drunks off the street... at least kept from behind the wheel.  I have family dead from drunk drivers.

However, I do not want people pulled over by government agents with guns, representing the most corrupt government ever in Mexico, to test to see if the driver had a half a beer.

I don't want to associate with police here, even on weekends at the family estate. (We have family members who are policia.)

What makes anyone believe cops or the government have your best interests at heart?

They do not.

My sentiments exactly.

3 hours ago, SunshineyDay said:

Motos are a big problem---locals and foreigners.

If they really want to save lives they could accomplish this easily by checking moto riders for licenses and making sure they all know the law which has changed in the last 3 years. They may not legally share a lane with anyone. They can not legally pass on the right as you drive. The may not legally crash into the right side of your car as you make a right turn with your signal on. We have seen this kind of  accident several times in recent weeks.

I just experienced one of these set ups friday night while being driven home from airport.  After 19 years here in mexico I have to say was first time I felt totally intimidated by a check point or such.  Total overkill...federal, state and traffic police, rifled and armed..lights ablaze...possibly 50 people working..tow trucks ready, big show of rifles and such...

random check, no clue if english spoken as my driver is bilingual.  We were stuck behind a possible victim of this so called protective measure, for at least 20 minutes. 

At best it is intimidating and worst overkill...this was at 10pm at night in Itchluacan. 

I will imbibe of nothing alcoholic while out anymore, sorry to all the restaurateurs and such but the levels are so low ..total overkill and fines high with threat of jail and impounded vehicle. Tourism may come to a standstill with this.  I like one or two drinks when dining out, nowhere near drunk but would come up on breathalyzer as such. 

Oh and they never ask for a license...so it is okay to pass these overkill checkpoints sober with no license or paperwork..insurance etc..

The checkpoint was also in place in the  afternoon so my driver got pulled over twice..no alcohol, but also agrees overkill.

Good time for the bad guys do do whatever while half the police force is handling these spots...what has it all come to here.??

JMHO..so no need for any attacking!

Archived