Chapala.com Webboard

Korean Invasion!!

Lakesider

Earlier this morning there was a spammer that had been a member for about 6 hours who somehow posted some 400 plus emails using Korean, Chinese or whatever Asian letter or script or whatever it is called.. I was able to delete these posts and label the poster as a spammer.

I have to admit, I was confused at first. all of a sudden all of the recent posts under several topics were in I guess Korean.

So it wasn't your imagination. It was really all over the Chapala Forum. 

12 hours ago, barcelonaman said:

i believe kim jong un is a regular contributor to this board, not sure of his handle , although there are a couple that fit the bill.

Ned Small.  How could you forget?  (That's a JOKE, Ned, don't get your knickers in a twist, pls.)

22 hours ago, moderator5 said:

Earlier this morning there was a spammer that had been a member for about 6 hours who somehow posted some 400 plus emails using Korean, Chinese or whatever Asian letter or script or whatever it is called.. I was able to delete these posts and label the poster as a spammer.

I have to admit, I was confused at first. all of a sudden all of the recent posts under several topics were in I guess Korean.

So it wasn't your imagination. It was really all over the Chapala Forum. 

Mod 5 all you have to do is go to the spammer's personal profile and hit the "flag as spammer" button, the software does the rest, erases all posts and threads and tosses the ID.  It was a real pain when we had to delete their crap one at a time.

On 9/1/2017 at 8:07 AM, barcelonaman said:

was it north or south ?

South.  The characters in the South are regular size while those used in the North are little uns. 

The bot must be figuring out somehow it is getting deleted as it is showing up now at different times.  I did email Admin and alert them to this problem so we'll just have to stay on top of it until they come up with a fix.  This must be machine generated, the average human could probably figure out this isn't a Korean speaking/writing group.

The softwares I have used to run boards like this have the option to "delay registration"; that is, when you sign up as a new member, your application is vetted by a moderator. You don't get instant membership. New applications are eyeballed, and a notification email is sent to the applicant. That email must be responded to via a link, which then uses a "captcha", that only a human can answer. This prevents bots, and spurious :() humans get bored quickly and give up.

The last board I ran eventually got far too many attempts every day, for a while.

Archived