Chapala.com Webboard

Teaching English to local children

HarryB

A group of local parents came to me to ask if the expat community would help support English in the local elementary schools. No one is asking for money. They are asking for time. Are there English as a second language teachers in the community who would be willing to train volunteers? Are there volunteers who would be willing to teach classes.

I know that LCS has classes, but, I assume that their teachers are devoting as much time as they are able, already.

If you are interested in the idea , please pm me or email ms1cb@yahoo.com

This would be a maiden effort for the state to bring english into the elementary schools. They'll approve it , but, not financially support it; because they can't afford to do it for the entire state. Same reason they'll provide us a dentist, but, not pay for anything beyond basic services. Thankfully, Chapala Rotary is helping out with dental materials.. 

Twenty years ago there was an active programme teaching the elementary students in Upper Ajijic. I assisted the teacher for one year until I got involved in other charities. Cannot remember who organized the programme but it was strictly volunteers involved.

• 2 weeks later...

Well we have gotten some good guidance and made some decisions

Here, kindergarden is three years ages 3 - 5. We are planning to start with 4 year olds.

We will be looking for  teams of three volunteers. Classes will get 1/2 hour three times a week. Teacher and a parent must be in the room at all times. We are hoping a parent will run parallel classes for parents in the evening or weekend.

LCS is on the verge of signing a contract with University of Guadalajara, but, there are no details at this time. We are assuming they will be working with older kids.

There are tons of materials on the internet and video on you tube.

We are looking for a kindergarten teacher or curriculum person to work with us on a basic curriculum.

Archived