Chapala.com Webboard

Looking for travel advice-Chapala to Santa Teresa NM

Mainecoons

Headed to Albuquerque NM soon and looking for some route and travel advice from anyone here who has driven from Chapala to the Santa Teresa border crossing west of Juarez.  Definitely know to not go through Juarez.

1.  Is it reasonable to get as far north as Jimenez on the first day?  I'd prefer not stopping in Torreon as it appears all the hotels require quite a diversion from the bypass into town.  But if you know of a hotel that is easy to access from the main road, I'd opt for that.

2.  Would you take the free road north from GDL or go via Aguascalientes?  I have driven the former on my moto which of course would be quicker than driving a car.

3.  If I could get as far as Jimenez, do you know of a place to stay there?

I am a fairly fast driver and since we know the roads in the area we can leave around 5 AM from here and are able to drive 12-13 hours before stopping.

Thanks!

I have driven Ajijic to Jimenez many times 'in the summer' when the days are longer.

When I drove 54 up from Guad to Zacatecas last year ...to retest my opinion that it is no quicker than by cuota through Aguas..... I verified  my opinion. It was on a Sunday too and I therefore did not have many trucks or buses get in front of me. Leaving Ajijic I did take the bypass so my time was better than driving 'through' Guadalajara to get to where 54 goes north.  I was driving a quick VW Rabbit and for the first 100+  miles I averaged only 40 mph. I was not sightseeing. Lots of topes. I arrived Zacatecas in about the same time I usually do going through Aguas. No tolls 'tho.

I always overnight at Hotel Jimenez Plaza... on the right coming into town. Fairly new, security in and out, park right at your room door with restaurant on-site if you wish. Reasonable price.  Pool also if you are so inclined.

When taking that route we usually stop in Delicias at the American Inn.

I must say though that we just drove up to Colorado Springs in the last 2 days and have a new favorite route. That would be to drive to Del Rio Texas on the first day, spend the night, then take 90 to 285N. Taking this route also will give you much better roads and 1/2 as many tolls.

The trip to Delicias or Del Rio would take you about 13 hrs.

Thank you.  That's a very interesting alternative.  I actually went somewhat that way on my moto trip to NM and AZ last year.  Del Rio is a piece of cake to cross and once done, the roads are excellent.  I'll give it a hard look again.

At this point I'm thinking to start early and stop in Jimenez first night.  The hotel Jimenez Plaza comes well recommended and it is right along side the route. 

• 2 weeks later...

the jimenez plaza is a new hotel, large rooms, very small crappy beds. you will not like. my recommendation would be the hotel santa fe in camargo, or the wim. 150 km farther but better overall, around 900 pesos. when we travel, we go very early and stay at the holiday inn express in chihuahua city, very nice. happy hour at six, and great breakfast. highway 49 south of cuencame, beware bad pavement.

Appreciate the feedback however we are specifically avoiding Chihuahua because of the problems of crime there including some against tourists.  We're going to use the new toll bypass and miss that town altogether.  Will check out Carmargo, it is on the way however the Hotel Santa Fe is off the route somewhat.  We have had to move up our departure one day because it seems all the hotels all through that area are booked solid Thursday-Saturday.  I wonder what is up?

Thanks for the heads up about Cuencame.  When I rode the moto through there last fall it was OK.  

Good to hear that the road surface south of Cuencame is "OK".  Last time through for me (1.5 years?) it was a real bit*h for many miles. One could not even change lanes to miss bad potholes.  MC, would you mind verifying when you pass through in your car this trip?

dan, i prefer the wim, newer, better maintained and has complimentary breakfast. there is constuction in aguascaliente, with detour, unavoidable. if you miss rush hour not too bad, add one hour. the pavement between rio grande and cuencame has been repaired, but some potholes remain. chapala to camargo is an 11 hour slog, no getting around that. camargo to albuquerque is around 9 hours. border at santa teresa is a breeze. can't really recommend any restaurants, we always get pollo feliz take away. the las palmas pemex station, north of fresnillo takes us credit cards. our car gets about 400 miles on a tank of gas, so we fill at las palmas and camargo, and fill again in el paso. gas in the us is around 2.50 gallon, up because of hurricane harvey. artcraft road and i 10 has a rudy's bbq, gas is usually cheaper there and you can eat. tolls run around 2000 pesos. hiway patrols are increased around gomez palacio, torreon, so be aware. other than that, bien viaje...

I really appreciate all your help here mtech.  So the Google maps detours are current and should be followed?  This is very good to know as my GPS will probably not pick up on this.  We may stick with Jimenez just because it splits the trip into two equal 10-11 hour days although the WIM definitely does look nicer but it is another hour further.

I dunno, if there are significant delays in Aguascalientes, maybe it does make sense to drive libre 54 instead up from GDL.

On 9/10/2017 at 6:29 PM, Mainecoons said:

Not sure how you went 10 years ago, now there is a toll bypass cutoff that starts well south of town and does not go through any urban areas at all.  That may not have been there 10 years ago.

It was not an urban area.  It looked like a junk yard that had been bombed, then burnt.  Worst area I've ever seen.  I almost turned around and went back NOB

Archived