Chapala.com Webboard

TelMex and modems

We all know by now that TelMex won't replace your modem if you bring a dead one into their offices lakeside. I don't know if this is a universal policy, or just here. I would appreciate hearing from others, say in PV, Morelia, wherever you might be. (You must now call TelMex in Mexico City and get authorization.)

This unwillingness to properly care for their own customers seems to be spreading outside the office. The other day, I had a customer with a dead modem, and I left a working loaner. She had already contacted support and they said they would send someone over. That repair person came a few days later, but my client tells me it was a fight to convince him to swap modems, for various reasons, but partly because he couldn't seem to accept the fact that the working modem wasn't hers. This is just unacceptable. And yet, what are we to do? Back home, service tends to improve. Here, it often seems to go backwards.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a non working modem.  I called Mexico City to report and got a work order #.  The 3 working day response time ended Tuesday @ 6.  My property manager told me that once I had a work order and the 3 days had passed that I could go to TelMex and get a replacement.  Have not tried that yet.  I am posting this for information only, not to start a complaint thread about TelMex.

I would be very interested to see if that idea proposed by your property manager actually carries any weight. Because TelMex rarely follows through by the dates promised... this would change everything.

I have had mine replaced numerous times ... probably four times in six years. Never had approval, just brought it in  and they gave me a new one. Last time was about 7 months ago.

30 minutes ago, gary c. said:

I have had mine replaced numerous times ... probably four times in six years. Never had approval, just brought it in  and they gave me a new one. Last time was about 7 months ago.

It was January of this year that the methodology changed. I would guess your memory is just a bit shy...

Further:  I called Mexico City again now having waited a full week.  I was very polite but frustrated and asked please is there anything I can do to get this fixed.  I asked again about going to Ajijic.  Was told no, not possible, they don't have them.  After conferring with his supervisor, he said they would make an administrative order to get it fixed within 48 hours which would start Monday.  I think he said it would be fixed by noon on Tuesday, but his English was not perfect.  Since I was not able to even get a power light on my modem, or the extra one that was loaned to me, I went shopping for a power cord this morning.  I got a super duper one at Steren at Laguna Mall.  They were very nice and tested everything for me before I made a purchase.  It turns out that my power cord is bad, my modem is bad (would power on but won't connect to the internet), but the modem that was loaned to me does work.  Yeah.  So now I guess I wait for TelMex but at least I have internet other than my phone.  Yeah!  I know power cord is not the correct terminology, but you know what I mean.

Power cord is just fine, technically speaking. But the more important question: theTelMex office in Ajijic specifically said: "Call Mexico City. Tell them the modem is not working. They will peform some tests and then give you a report number. You bring that report back to us in Ajijic, and we will give you a new modem." They have plenty of modems.

So what the H E double-hockey-sticks is Mexico City doing? Are they trying to tell us that under no circumstances can anyone get a working modem if it doesn't come from Mexico City? In that case, I heartily recommend a life of crime: any time you see a TelMex truck, open the door and steal one.

5 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

I heartily recommend a life of crime: any time you see a TelMex truck, open the door and steal one.

How do you get the modem's MAC address into Telmex's system for authorization? The thread suggests that any modem of theirs is accepted by the network.

Final update.  This week my phone line quit working.  It had become disconnected at a box somewhere other than my residence.  It has now been fixed.   I reported it yesterday at noon, and it was fixed this afternoon.  He also brought me a new modem.  I asked some questions and was told the problem with getting modems replaced is a supply issue.  The guys are not provided the supply they need.  He said it would be the same issue going to the Ajijic office.  If they had one, they would probably give you one.  But most likely they just don't  have any either.   The modem I was supplied when my line was installed last month was one of the old ones.  He said they had lots of problems.  The one he gave me today is a much newer model.  He said it is also a much better modem. 

I recently had a dead modem.  I initially took it into Ajijic (one hour drive each way) and was told that they don't exchange the goners anymore.  It would be two or three days to have a new one delivered from ????? middle earth?  And so began a series of telephone calls and finally after nine days of no internet, we got a modem.  Now some of the delay can be blamed on the courier who drove by our hose at least twice without even slowing to check the number, until we finally noticed him in time and went out to flag him down to collect our modem.  .

When my old modem failed a couple of months ago I contacted Telmex Mexico City and was told I would receive a new one within 3 days.  Of course it never showed up and rather than deal further with Telmex I just bought a couple of new, latest model Telmex modems online from Mercado Libre.  Around 200 or 300 pesos each delivered and I got them the next day.  I bought one each of two different models to make sure one would work.  It turned out that they both worked fine so I'm keeping the extra as a spare.  Solved my problem.

When my old modem failed a couple of months ago I contacted Telmex Mexico City and was told I would receive a new one within 3 days.  Of course it never showed up and rather than deal further with Telmex I just bought a couple of new, latest model Telmex modems online from Mercado Libre.  Around 200 or 300 pesos each delivered and I got them the next day.  I bought one each of two different models to make sure one would work.  It turned out that they both worked fine so I'm keeping the extra as a spare.  Solved my problem.

Thanks for the suggestion.

You are lucky. Mine took three months. If I hadn't had a spare...

Where and how do you get a spare; it sounds like a handy thing to have.

Because my business is computer and Internet repair, I have had occasion to uncover leftovers.

My Telmex modem is at least five years old and it seems there would be a newer model available, but Telmex is such a hassle.  I never thought about Mercadolibre for this, thought it would be a strictly Telmex item.  There's lots of different makes and models available on Mercadolibre, how do I know which is the latest and greatest?

Hmmm.  Do you sell them?

No... I keep a spare in the car so I can test Internet at houses with problems to determine if the modem is at fault, or something else. And I have, from time to time, loaned a modem when a client had problems. Lexy on this board will attest to that. She was fortunate recently that a TelMex lineman only took four or five days to turn up at her house; even then she had to fight for a replacement. But, as CharlieG posted above, it seems they can be purchased on MercadoLibre. https://listado.mercadolibre.com.mx/infinitum#D[A:infinitum]

My Telmex modem is at least five years old and it seems there would be a newer model available, but Telmex is such a hassle.  I never thought about Mercadolibre for this, thought it would be a strictly Telmex item.  There's lots of different makes and models available on Mercadolibre, how do I know which is the latest and greatest?

The old saw "If it ain't broke..." plays well here.

If you shop on MercadoLibre, send me a link to the one which interests you, and I can tell you. As far as I know, there is no "list" indicating the latest.

Archived