Chapala.com Webboard

What happened to summer?

jrm30655

It was here just yesterday, I remember it distinctly because my housekeeper was complaining about the heat.  Now, I'm having to wear a warmup suit to stay warm.

Someone is responsible for this and I want punishment.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's the Russians.  I saw an article where some Russian scientists said a new ice age is coming, but I didn't think it was going to start TODAY!!!!

Maybe Trump and the Russians are doing it just to embarrass Al Gore.

18 minutes ago, jrm30655 said:

I think it's the Russians.  I saw an article where some Russian scientists said a new ice age is coming, but I didn't think it was going to start TODAY!!!!

Maybe Trump and the Russians are doing it just to embarrass Al Gore.

Yeah. Nothing political about this post. 

3 hours ago, MtnMama said:

Actually we told you Global Climate Change is real.  Now will you believe us?

I didn't realize that it meant climate change HERE!!!!

Yesterday, my recording thermometer said 82 was the high, today 68.  

2 hours ago, betty7 said:

love this weather, keep it up. never felt better. sun stay away.

Betty, I agree with you, this cool rainy weather is truly wonderful after the hot dry sunny weather we´ve had for most of the year.  It reminds me of where I come from, from Western North Carolina.  But after like two or three days of this dark weather I remember why I left that land to come to beautiful sunny Jalisco where it rains mostly at night and the days are warm, sunny, and surrounded by gorgeous flowers year round.  For those that dislike the sunny warm weather here and are becoming disillusioned with Chapala, I encourage them to check out the gorgeous city of Xalapa Veracruz where the weather is cool and rainy throughout the year.  They call it the chipi-chipi or constant drizzle.  The city offers a much more affordable life style than here and is truly a wonderful place to be, especially for those that hate the sun.  During these rainy days, generally on day three, I begin to pray to the ancient Mesoamerican gods beseeching Tlaloc to go away and take his rain clouds with him and I beg Tonatiuh to return with his wonderful rays of sunshine.   Mexico is a huge country, with a special place for everyone.  If you are miserable here, there are many other wonderful places in this blessed land where you, G-d willing, will be much happier.

Slow moving, spread out tropical storm.  Nothing unusual in that at all.  Should finally start to clear later today.  The good news is the rain made up for the dry June.  Now if that lake would just start rising faster.  Wouldn't you just love to see it back at 96 meters?

7 hours ago, MtnMama said:

Actually we told you Global Climate Change is real.  Now will you believe us?

Yes, but that is like saying sunrise is real.  I'll go with the Russians on this, they live up close and personal with cold weather.  No sunspots = Maunder minimum = colder.  That BTW is the prediction for this winter.  We had a high number of cold fronts pass through Mexico last winter, over 50, it will be interesting to see if that continues and amplifies.  They may be weak but they do drop the temperature and humidity.

Rains here in late August into October from tropical disturbances in the eastern Pacific is quite normal and can be very important in rounding out the rainy season.  As the easterlies wane in September, the storms can curve northward instead of just marching to the west.  Unfortunately that can lead to some really rough weather along the SW and W coast of Mexico.

It is interesting that a big reason Harvey did so much damage is that its normal movement to the NE was blocked by a fairly early cold front that turned stationary north of the storm and held it in place. 

Geologic history tells us that at times the climate on this planet has changed constantly between extremes of heat, cold, drought and flooding.  I would expect that to continue and as the planet gets more crammed with people, inevitably more will be hurt by weather events that are not at all unusual in climatic history.  

For some interesting reading, look up how a great southwest drought caused the ancestors of the Aztecs to move south and east and the conditions they found fostered their creation of a great civilization by a people formerly mostly nomadic hunter gatherers.  The Aztecs, Mayans and Olmecs absolutely rivaled anyone in the world when it came to engineering and city building prowess.  The movement of the Aztecs forced by the weather absolutely changed the history of this country.

I have been telling you disbelievers that state that there is no global warming. That we are really having global cooling. It doesn't matter that we have had record high temperatures in Seattle or that we are having more serious Tornados in and around Houston, Texas.

The proof is here. During the last week it has been colder than usual and there has been more rain this month than ever recorded (10 years) on the Lake Chapala weather Net.

We are having global cooling not global warming. Ask the blond leader.

3 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Geologic history tells us that at times the climate on this planet has changed constantly between extremes of heat, cold, drought and flooding.  I would expect that to continue and as the planet gets more crammed with people, inevitably more will be hurt by weather events that are not at all unusual in climatic history.  

True, climate change is nothing new, but I believe that in the past, something triggered the climate change, such as massive volcanic activity.     This time Man is the trigger and hence, we should be able to control our own behaviour.    As for the Aztecs, that was a localized climate change, not a global climate change, perhaps caused by over harvesting of trees near by

Anyone reading the news should be rejoicing about our nice, moderate climate here, rain and all.  It's awful in some other places.

For the history buffs among us.........in the middle ages, it was hella cold all across the continent of Europe.

Whether it's man made, influenced by man's activities, Mother Nature in a beetchy mood or all of those factors,  climate does change over time. 

Altitude cools the climate, in clear skies, it is normally 3.5 F per 1,000 feet. So at 5,000 feet we are naturally 17.5 degrees F cooler than say sea level. If clouds move in, the cooling effect is much, much greater, but difficult to predict or even measure from an average point of view. The warmest part of the day here, cloud or sun, is late afternoon. For many people that is a long time to wait for their houses to heat up. So from mid July (this year, anyways, sometimes earlier) until late September, early October (hopefully) expect a lot of light rains, therefore dark, cloudy skies, therefore cooler days. Then starts the truly cool days. We have never been so cold in our lives when we moved here from Puerto Vallarta on November 1st, many years ago. And I have lived in many Northern towns, cities and wildernesses. Completely unprepared.

A lot of this has to do with simple physics, not climate change.

No summer? - up here in TX, it was normal, Austin had over 40 days 100+ and then of course that little thing named Harvey, so as usual, we didn't notice, same old same old. Global hooha is a religion for folks who don't have a regular one. It has all the components to make them believers without the obvious downsides, no one passes the collection plate, Gov takes care of that?

18 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Very few people can turn a weather discussion into a combat zone.

The reference was to climate, not weather.

"Climate is what we expect, weather is what we get." - Mark Twain

13 hours ago, dichosalocura said:

Betty, I agree with you, this cool rainy weather is truly wonderful after the hot dry sunny weather we´ve had for most of the year.  It reminds me of where I come from, from Western North Carolina.  But after like two or three days of this dark weather I remember why I left that land to come to beautiful sunny Jalisco where it rains mostly at night and the days are warm, sunny, and surrounded by gorgeous flowers year round.  For those that dislike the sunny warm weather here and are becoming disillusioned with Chapala, I encourage them to check out the gorgeous city of Xalapa Veracruz where the weather is cool and rainy throughout the year.  They call it the chipi-chipi or constant drizzle.  The city offers a much more affordable life style than here and is truly a wonderful place to be, especially for those that hate the sun.  During these rainy days, generally on day three, I begin to pray to the ancient Mesoamerican gods beseeching Tlaloc to go away and take his rain clouds with him and I beg Tonatiuh to return with his wonderful rays of sunshine.   Mexico is a huge country, with a special place for everyone.  If you are miserable here, there are many other wonderful places in this blessed land where you, G-d willing, will be much happier.

I grew up in Western North Carolina and remember the winters there.  That's one of the reasons I'm here.

My sister has been trying to get me to move back.  Not likely if I'm above room temperature

Archived