Chapala.com Webboard

Why not to buy printer ink at Walmart

maggiemae

When I bought a new HP printer in last spring, the computer store did not have the black ink cartridge I needed, so I purchased ink at Walmart. About 6 weeks later I inserted the new cartridge only to be informed that it was defective. I tried to return/exchange the cartridge at Walmart but was refused because a return must be made w/in 30 days of purchase. Lesson learned.

Since then I have replaced the ink successfully with cartridges purchased at Walmart.

Last Friday I noticed the print was light and the ink was low. I purchased an HP ink cartridge at Walmart, saving the receipt. On Sunday, I installed the cartridge only to ....once again...be told that it was defective. Tuesday I tried to return/exchange the cartridge. It took over an hour to get an response from a customer service rep. I was told that Walmart will not credit/exchange ink cartridges.

Warning to all....purchase your printer ink elsewhere.

I've never ever owned an HP for those and other reasons. I use Canon exclusively. If you look at them you'll find many, if not most, use ink "tanks" not integrated with the print head. My current one uses 5 different color/black tanks, I just ordered 2 complete sets, 10 tanks, for $8.50 from eBay.

18 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

I own a EPSON printer and have had great satisfaction in buying my cartridges there..the Black at approx 195 pesos is some times less expensive than I can obtain from Office Depot etc. The only "problem" I have is that they are not always available.

The answer is Epson printer and Epson ink.  No problems.  Have tried some of the refills, but never that satisfied.

You guys do know that the items, including ink cartridges, that you buy from WalMart are not the same as those you buy from say Office Depot or Costco don't you? The WalMart items are made for WalMart according to their specifications - make it cheaper, little or no quality control, make it look the same. Of course they're not going to take it back.

Years ago I quit buying inkjet printers,  The whole thing is a ripoff.  I buy cheapo black laser printers (last one Samsung 980P).  They last quite a while and if I can't get a toner reload I just toss them and buy another cheapie.  Toner reload is around 400P and good for several thousand pages. It is seldom that I need color prints and if so, the Pharm, Guad  does then off a USB stick for a few pesos.  Inkjet  HP is a plague and the rest aren't any better.  HP often counts pages instead of ink levels and it is rumored that after a certain amount of pages the printer will start having phony  "paper feed" problems.

Archived