Chapala.com Webboard

Colonoscopy questions

Al Berca

Thank you Ned Small for clarifying the English and gringal also.

In case it hasn't occurred to some posters, I'm trying to help. And, for those who are unaware, neither a colonoscopy nor an endoscopy can see the lower part of the small intestine.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/capsule-endoscopy/basics/definition/prc-20012773

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/gastrointestinal-carcinoid-tumor/detection-diagnosis-staging/how-diagnosed.html

There are also blood tests (for various parts of the body) that are generally called "tumour marker tests". I would suggest that a conversation with a knowledgeable Doctor is in order for anyone who wants to know more. Information is power.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Al Berca made a request for specific information.  He received 4 replies fitting his request. All the rest of the posts are off topic to his specific request.  The board would function much better if those wanting to talk about other things would start a different topic.  Perhaps those of us who would like this kind of efficiency could repeatedly remind others.  Perhaps, then, it would eventually become de rigeur.

28 minutes ago, bdmowers said:

Al Berca made a request for specific information.  He received 4 replies fitting his request. All the rest of the posts are off topic to his specific request.  The board would function much better if those wanting to talk about other things would start a different topic.  Perhaps those of us who would like this kind of efficiency could repeatedly remind others.  Perhaps, then, it would eventually become de rigeur.

Or rigor mortis?

On 8/31/2017 at 6:48 PM, Ferret said:

Thank you Ned Small for clarifying the English and gringal also.

In case it hasn't occurred to some posters, I'm trying to help. And, for those who are unaware, neither a colonoscopy nor an endoscopy can see the lower part of the small intestine.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/capsule-endoscopy/basics/definition/prc-20012773

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/gastrointestinal-carcinoid-tumor/detection-diagnosis-staging/how-diagnosed.html

There are also blood tests (for various parts of the body) that are generally called "tumour marker tests". I would suggest that a conversation with a knowledgeable Doctor is in order for anyone who wants to know more. Information is power.

The large and small intestines combined are roughly 7.5 meters long so no obtrusive instrument can check their whole length from either direction.

5 minutes ago, ned small said:

Or rigor mortis?

Naw, the "spin-off" topic could be as lively, and anecdotal and snarky, as the participants would care to make it.  The original topic would be easy to get information from, as intended.

1 hour ago, ned small said:

The large and small intestines combined are roughly 7.5 meters long so no obtrusive instrument can check their whole length from either direction.

The large intestine in an adult is only about 5 feet long so you will always see all of the large intestine in a colonoscopy and a bit of the bottom of the small intestine since a standard colonoscopy tube is 6 feet long. It's doing an endoscopy from the other end that the problems become apparent with the limiting length of the tube since the small intestine alone can be... "The length of the small intestine can vary greatly, from as short as 2.75 m (9.0 ft) to as long as 10.49 m (34.4 ft).[3] The average length in a living person is 3m-5m."

16 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Geez. What are you, anyway, Ferret, some kind of nurse or something? You probably just know how to Google.

Some of us knew about this sort of thing long before there was a google including ferret who was a health professional of sorts. And as she mentioned her late husband had 6 useless colonoscopies.

5 hours ago, ned small said:

Some of us knew about this sort of thing long before there was a google including ferret who was a health professional of sorts. And as she mentioned her late husband had 6 useless colonoscopies.

It was meant completely as a joke. I know Ferret quite well outside this board. My apologies to those who felt otherwise.

I agree completely with gringal . I had many colonoscopies as well which detected polyps each time .  Those were always removed , however ended up with another medical issue , Hence , the CT scans . So the ' young' age of 52 , I  Ended up with a colostomy .  I thought my life was over .  But then I realized without these tests I May not be alive today .  

The camera one that was mentioned takes too much time , because you have to wait until it 'passes' .  A colonoscopy goes right to the source . .  Per my doctors . 

7 hours ago, Al Berca said:

I have recently been told of a "virtual colonoscopy". I guess it is relatively new and less intrusive, but more accurate, as well as more expensive. Anyone familiar with this procedure?

You've already been told about that here in this thread. It's an MRI by the real name for it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2017 at 2:15 PM, bontepar said:

Can not remove polips that eventually can develop in cancer, and you are subject to radio bombardment, that can cause cancer

The second part of your statement is pure nonsense and was not even mentioned in your link to the university of chicago link explaining virtual colonoscopy in great detail. Can you explain?

56 minutes ago, bontepar said:

The only way polips, (that can develop,  grow into cancers) is with a traditional colonoscopy.

Any kind of radiation can cause cancer, at a minimun increases the possibility of getting cancer

And what is your medical experience? I have asked you to explain and you haven't,now have you.

Archived