Chapala.com Webboard

Visit Ajijic area during rainy season?

ccw

Hello,

I am a first time poster.  I have read a lot of information on this site!

My wife and I will be visiting Ajijic in Feb 2018 for 2 weeks.  We want to get a feel for the area so we can decide if moving there is an option. Many people have suggested making a second trip during the rainy season before making a decision. Can someone explain to me why this seems so important.

Thanks, CCW

My wife and I visited 3 times during the dry season, made a purchase and finally moved down a couple weeks ago.  We we're here in the winter (great weather) and also in May (where it does get warm).  What an INCREDIBLE difference between the two seasons; dry and rainy.  The biggest is the mountains seem emerald green during the rainy season.  They're spectacular and maybe that's the reason many people prefer this time of year.  It's not rained during the day since we've been back; only in the middle of the night ... although it is warmer.  Anyway you look at it, you'll likely make the move like most people do.

Hi CCW! Rainy months in Ajijic has its upside too, aside from some flash floods in some areas and power outages. The mountain is so much  greener and the air more fresh. It used to be that the rain mostly comes at night and it still is...which I find amazing. . You'll survive.

Welcome to this board!

I have found rainy season not to be very rainy because I moved here from Houston where I have seen cars floating down streets. But, if your from a less stormy area, thunder and lightning at night might bother you.

Oddly, my youngest dog had to be given Xanax during Houston thunderstorms or he would barf the whole next day. Even though there are some real boomers here, the heavy construction of my home means I can turn on white noise and close the drapes in the back bedroom and he will sleep right through them. Makes me wonder if the fear was more from vibrations than the actual noise. Regardless, I'm happy to report he is now drug free ;)

I feel if you love this place during the season you visit it, you will love it year long weather wise. My only advice is to visit during snowbird season to see if you can handle the extra congestion. 

Monster under the bed 5.jpg

Have not had to use a umbrella all this rainy season. Rain, thunderstorms at night usually in the early morning...cools everything and the plant life flourishes. All year the weather is almost perfect; this is why even the most expensive homes have neither heating nor air conditioning; maybe a little space heater for a month or 2 in the winter and a fan in the summer. Low or no humidity, and spring like weather all year. Whats not to like?

As usual, MC hit the nail on the head... This is an excellent time to see where there is runoff and if it will impact where you decide to live... We discovered after we had purchased that a portion of the wall surrounding our compound washed out earlier... To date, we have not had a reoccurrence. Unfortunately, the local realtors do not use seller disclosure statements... Which makes purchasing a caveat emptor situation...

I would check out different times of the year. Have been here 6 years now, before that Puerto Vallarta. The weather April, May, June most of July was nice - a little hot, yes, but all the pools get heated and not too many bugs, you can comfortably sit outside without insect screens and repellents. This year, and previous years when I think about it, when the rains came, there was a big hatch of mosquitoes, houseflies and what they call bobo flies. Even now, many of our favorite "open" restaurants have so many flies you cannot enjoy a meal. The other problem, since we are a mile high here, is that if the sun gets clouded in, there is a real chill in the air, and when the sun comes out it is warm, yes, but muggy with humidity into the mid to high 80's. Then September, October, the rains lessen, but it still gets more chilly. November, December, January are cold. On cloudy days you will not see the heat get above 65 degrees - and that is late afternoon. In the mornings you will be wearing sweats and fleecies - no thermostats here. Sometimes, I even wear light gloves. We have two propane heaters and a large fireplace, but they are not much use if you have 30+ foot ceilings, and the doors and windows are not properly sealed. Seems February March anything can happen. All in all the weather is pretty mild here, dramatic weather events have been fairly rare but are not unheard of, and there has never been any frost here, ever. I'm just saying the weather can be a factor, I know of two couples who have moved away specifically because they didn't like the weather. A few lucky ones can afford to keep a beach house from November to April. I would say Lake Chapala is part of a paradise, but it is not paradise by it's self.

Great comments so far!

We will be renting for a few years. Since we do not know what rental property we will get, do you think it is still important to visit?  We live in Baltimore so we are used to the changes in temperature. Multiple visits will be difficult with the expense. I am going to start another thread on a timetable before possible moving in the beginning on Jan 2019.

My two or three or six pesos:

I  first moved to San Miguel; Colder than heck in the winter and hot in the summer; typical high mountain weather. After three years, moved here. Bought a low ceilinged old Mexican house which makes a bunch of sense since it's easy to heat or cool.  Being wusses from California, we need a minisplit A/C  in the bedroom for the hot months of late April, May and part of June. Love the rainy season since it's not a cold rain and mostly at night.  Great views of thunderstoms over the lake if you have a view.  Good time to pick a house, since the water pours down from the mountains and some streets running North to south turn into sluiceways.  You'll want to know this because the realtors will tell you NOTHING negative and there ARE NO disclosure statements. Don't worry about the typical bars on the windows you may see;  remember that these are common in Latin countries and the purpose isn't to lock you IN; but to keep potential bad folks OUT.  High walls are also typical; enclosed "paradise gardens" often can't be seen from the street.

If you want a dog, it's best to get one that's born and grown up in Mexico; they're used to the storms, the fireworks and the rest of the noise and won't freak out.

There are great restaurants; the people are warm and the pace of live is comfortable.  The traffic lately is pretty bad, but just take your time.  We've lived in our current home for nine years and wouldn't go anywhere else.

Welcome, and good luck if you move here!

7 minutes ago, ccw said:

Great comments so far!

We will be renting for a few years. Since we do not know what rental property we will get, do you think it is still important to visit?  We live in Baltimore so we are used to the changes in temperature. Multiple visits will be difficult with the expense. I am going to start another thread on a timetable before possible moving in the beginning on Jan 2019.

I spent one week here in February and moved down in April. Rented in a completely furnished and decorated, all-inclusive apartment. I was open to staying after that or moving back to the U.S. Nine years later I am still here. If you are flexible, have no expectations, are willing to adapt, and open to the adventure, you will be fine.

Of course - where you rent will play a big part of your experience. If you live in the so called "village", or Chapala or Jocotepec it gets a lot hotter, drier and dustier in warm season. There is not much greenery, but you still get bugs from the Lake. We live in the hills, with 50-60 year old gardens, so this is also a bigger cause of bugs. The air here is clean and green all year round. Many visitors comment on it. Weather is just weather, you work your way around it, or let it rule your life.

Mosquitos are bad this year.  If you have any kind of fountain, keep it well bleached.  Two other lines of defence are working for us:  "Fly out" spray (Deet free) works and those tennis shaped things that you can wave around to zap the buggers work as good killing machines.  They sell them at the "dollar store" on the South side of the plaza in Ajijic for under 10 bucks, or they did.  The rechargeble kind are best.

Interesting what people are saying about mosquitoes. I live two blocks from the lake and have had very few mosquitoes this year compared to last year which was my first rainy season in this house. I drained the fountain, filled it with pea gravel and put pots with citronella in it. I also have other pots with citronella... and also planted lavender. Installed a new gutter and changed a couple of downspouts. No saucers under plants during the rainy season. Amended the soil so that it absorbs water. Installed good fans with a downward draft... small house 1 bedroom house with 6 fans in total so the air is moving constantly even on low.

It has really made a huge difference. I love the rainy season here with its green green hills and low hanging puffy clouds snagged on the top of the mountains surrounding the lake. Actually, there is no season that I am not in love with here. It's my Camelot.

Archived