Chapala.com Webboard

Lety's Mariscos

hensley

Went there tonight just after 6pm, can't believe this gem of a place was empty on a Friday. It is located in San Antonio, just down about 1/2 block on your left from ISHOP.

We had the garlic shrimp with veggies and rice and it was enough for us to split and 2 margarita's which I think are the best in town and our bill was $225p + tip.

We also think their hamburgers and fries are the best in town, but we visit this place at least once or twice a month and it is always consistent, in out opinion.

Alejandro the bartender is the one that makes all the trucks, motorcycles, shoes, boats, helicopters and more out of tin cans, his work is incredible!!

IMG_0594.jpg

IMG_0591.jpg

IMG_0592.jpg

IMG_0593.jpg

We used to love the place. then it got "discovered", gringos stormed the place, and prices shot up. At the same time, family members who worked there moved on to other things, and replacement staff was not so accommodating. Then customer service started to slide, unless you talked to the ol'man himself. Burnt and overdone food was not replaced, on more than one occasion. Thus, we could no longer count on consistency.

Then they moved, and service got worse, as prices continued to climb. Once we asked if there was anything besides basa for the fish dinner, and were given something else (don't remember what now). When the bill came, it was 40p extra. This is something they should have told us about when we ordered. We discussed it with them, which didn't help.  It was just one more thing that they could have handled a little differently. Since then, I know a number of former patrons who feel the same and can't be bothered going back.

The son Alejandro, daughter Nena and another daughter still work there. Service is stiill OK. Margarita is good and reasonably priced..but on two occasions, I had burnt and overcooked food as well. I didn't bother to complain though..I should have.

The last time four of us lunched there, the owner wasn't around.  We ordered shrimp since we'd heard good things about it.  We waited, waited and waited while we could see the employees just standing around having conversation.  When our food finally arrived, it was cold. Enough.  There's plenty places to get good shrimp, hot off the burner. We won't be back.

I find shrimp dishes, number of shrimp keeps getting less and smaller and price continues to go up.  If you need to raise prices, keep what you order the same, not reduce the amount of food and charge more.  People do notice this and it is not good for business.

4 hours ago, gringal said:

The last time four of us lunched there, the owner wasn't around.  We ordered shrimp since we'd heard good things about it.  We waited, waited and waited while we could see the employees just standing around having conversation.  When our food finally arrived, it was cold. Enough.  There's plenty places to get good shrimp, hot off the burner. We won't be back.

Used to love Lety's shrimp and bacon ? Then we discovered Lake Taco! No comparison. That said we have not been to Lety's for some time and might have to give it a go one more time.

Love shrimp, so I'm picky.  Not to entirely change the subject, but the very best shrimp I've had aren't breaded; they're done Chinese style with the result being very tender and tasty:  try it at Cocinart when it's on the menu.  Perfect every time.

Lety's has been and still is one of our favorites. Going back to the previous location and continuing to the new place the same staff has always provided us with good, friendly service. It is a family operation.

I'm glad I saw this thread. We were just discussing where to eat so we are going there tonight. My only problem is what to order - I have too many favorites there. Thanks everyone.

On 8/26/2017 at 11:55 AM, ComputerGuy said:

We used to love the place. then it got "discovered", gringos stormed the place, and prices shot up. At the same time, family members who worked there moved on to other things, and replacement staff was not so accommodating. Then customer service started to slide, unless you talked to the ol'man himself. Burnt and overdone food was not replaced, on more than one occasion. Thus, we could no longer count on consistency.

Then they moved, and service got worse, as prices continued to climb. Once we asked if there was anything besides basa for the fish dinner, and were given something else (don't remember what now). When the bill came, it was 40p extra. This is something they should have told us about when we ordered. We discussed it with them, which didn't help.  It was just one more thing that they could have handled a little differently. Since then, I know a number of former patrons who feel the same and can't be bothered going back.

CG -- the same family owns and runs this restaurant now onto the 3rd generation of said family. We have watched their children and now grandchildren grow up there. 

I have been ordering Lenguado, which is Flounder their the last couple of times I've been this summer. They have salmon, mahi, mahi, and trout too. It's all on the menu in Spanish and English.  So they serve other fish then "basa." I am glad you are not going back cause I don't want to insult this lovely family with your negativity. 

Gosh, I have been quite familiar with their menu over the years. I can't tell you exactly which item we were ordering, but the type of fish for that item was not described.

So sorry to have upset you, k2tog, but then that has been your typical reaction ever since you started on this board. One thing you might try doing is consider the fact that some of us have been here just as long as, if not longer than, you... and maybe, just maybe, we know a thing or two about the history and the families that live here.

Negativity? I think not. Truth? Absolutely.

I have so far kept my fingers off the keyboard, but here is my two pesos FWIW.   My first time to order coconut shrimp, it was very good.  The next visit the coconut batter was burned to a blackened crisp and of course the shrimp were tough.  This can happen certainly, but to serve it to the customer is not acceptable.  This was after they moved to the new location and the restaurant wasn't busy, so no excuse and I have never returned.

That is one of the dishes that was a favourite of ours and my Mother's, and one of the reasons for us leaving. After getting the same burned meal three times, and being told they would NOT redo it, we were less than happy.

On 8/27/2017 at 5:16 PM, REC said:

Lety's has been and still is one of our favorites. Going back to the previous location and continuing to the new place the same staff has always provided us with good, friendly service. It is a family operation.

I'm glad I saw this thread. We were just discussing where to eat so we are going there tonight. My only problem is what to order - I have too many favorites there. Thanks everyone.

I'm interested to know if you found it any different.

Archived