Chapala.com Webboard

Hacienda ruins in the area east or north of Chapala

cedros

For those who live in the area of Ixtlahuacan, Santa Cruz, San Nicolas, or Atequiza do you know if there are any remains of haciendas that were in those areas?

The ones that I'm aware of are in Cedros and La Calera. The one in La Calera you've probably passed by going to and from Guadalajara and not noticed. It's just south of the the turnoff to Cajititlan on the right side. It was bought by the singer, Joan Sebastian, and was in the process of being refurbished but with his death it seems to be falling back into disrepair.

The one in Cedros is definitely a ruin. I've been in to see what is left several years ago. The church is still there and some rooms of the old house.

There is a still functioning hacienda in Buena Vista that was owned at one time by the bullfighter Manuel Capetillo and is now owned by the Urea family (Urea Plumbing).

Thanks dcstroker. I will have to check them out. I found the one at Ocatlan. There may be one at Atequiza also. 

Tony Burton's " Western Mexico A Traveler's Treasury" 4th edition has the first two chapters devoted to places of historical significance and within a three hour drive of GDL and lakeside. Complete with anecdotal information, drawings by Mark Eager and specific directions to find them. Includes several nearby haciendas. Some in ruins. Some still open.

Charter Club Tours used to periodically offer an all-day hacienda tour. They visited 3 haciendas. One was being refurbished/rehabbed. Another, which had been huge, was destroyed except for the spectacular church. You can still see the enormous courtyard that was circled with buildings. Rosie does an excellent job of painting a mental picture of what these buildings were and how they looked. The third hacienda is now a luxurious hotel/spa and horse ranch. This is where we had a late lunch.

You may want to check with Charter Club Tours (now in its new location) to see if they still offer the tour. If not, perhaps they can direct you the haciendas.

17 minutes ago, Al Berca said:

Tony Burton's " Western Mexico A Traveler's Treasury" 4th edition has the first two chapters devoted to places of historical significance and within a three hour drive of GDL and lakeside. Complete with anecdotal information, drawings by Mark Eager and specific directions to find them. Includes several nearby haciendas. Some in ruins. Some still open.

Yes, I use that book.

14 minutes ago, maggiemae said:

Charter Club Tours used to periodically offer an all-day hacienda tour. They visited 3 haciendas. One was being refurbished/rehabbed. Another, which had been huge, was destroyed except for the spectacular church. You can still see the enormous courtyard that was circled with buildings. Rosie does an excellent job of painting a mental picture of what these buildings were and how they looked. The third hacienda is now a luxurious hotel/spa and horse ranch. This is where we had a late lunch.

You may want to check with Charter Club Tours (now in its new location) to see if they still offer the tour. If not, perhaps they can direct you the haciendas.

I've been on that tour.

We were invited on a tour of La Calera with a bunch of other expats probably in 2004 or so. Turned out it was paid for by Perry March and he used it to try and convince people to invest in one of his ventures. We enjoyed the tour and did not invest.

25 minutes ago, Al Berca said:

Currently serving a 56 year sentence for the killing of his wife.

Yes, he was very incensed when they grabbed him and bundled him off to the US to stand trial. There was a bit of outrage among some expats about how cruel that was to his Mexican wife and children. Just because he was accused of killing his wife, I mean, gee......  I don't remember for sure but I'll bet there were some of the usual Lakeside "fundraisers", LOL.

When I worked and/or volunteered at Lagunanet, the first internet service provider lakeside, I was assigned the  job of collecting the monthly charges from him. For a murderer, he was very polite and did his best to make people think he was innocent.

For obvious reasons I did not try to be friends or socialize with him.  What I remember was that he had a very nice wife, who was from the local area.

Perry's father lived here too.. I could tell you many funny stories about him too. But there is no point.

Does anyone know if there there are any hacienda buildings left at San Nicolas de la Labor, San Jacinto, Antequiza, or Miraflores, 

On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 9:16 PM, dcstroker said:

The ones that I'm aware of are in Cedros and La Calera. The one in La Calera you've probably passed by going to and from Guadalajara and not noticed. It's just south of the the turnoff to Cajititlan on the right side. It was bought by the singer, Joan Sebastian, and was in the process of being refurbished but with his death it seems to be falling back into disrepair.

The one in Cedros is definitely a ruin. I've been in to see what is left several years ago. The church is still there and some rooms of the old house.

There is a still functioning hacienda in Buena Vista that was owned at one time by the bullfighter Manuel Capetillo and is now owned by the Urea family (Urea Plumbing).

I am having trouble finding maps for Haciendas Cedros and Buenavista. My haciendas map shows Cedros about 8 kilometers west of Ixtlahuacan and Buenavista about 5 kilometers north west of Ixtlahuacan. But I think  there might be other Buenavista haciendas. Can you give me any clues please as to where they are?

3 hours ago, cedros said:

I am having trouble finding maps for Haciendas Cedros and Buenavista. My haciendas map shows Cedros about 8 kilometers west of Ixtlahuacan and Buenavista about 5 kilometers north west of Ixtlahuacan. But I think  there might be other Buenavista haciendas. Can you give me any clues please as to where they are?

The hacienda in Buena Vista is just past the church in the town, on the left hand side at the end of the street. Originally the hacienda encompassed a lot of what is now Aguas Caliente.

The one in Cedros is actually close to the Chapala/Guadalajara road. It's been several years since I've been there so I'll have to go back and recheck my directions. We're up north now  so it'll be several weeks before I can check. 

Cedros, Do you know about ruins of Hacienda La Maltaraña—also called La Bella Cristina near Jamay on east side of the lake? Or is it out of the area of your interest?

Build by Manuel Cuesta Gallardo, in 1873..... I do not know if it served as a typical Hacienda or was just a  "La Mansión".

10 hours ago, dcstroker said:

The hacienda in Buena Vista is just past the church in the town, on the left hand side at the end of the street. Originally the hacienda encompassed a lot of what is now Aguas Caliente.

The one in Cedros is actually close to the Chapala/Guadalajara road. It's been several years since I've been there so I'll have to go back and recheck my directions. We're up north now  so it'll be several weeks before I can check. 

I find this quite confusing. There is a Buena Vista north of Ixtlahuacan (I think this is the one you are referring to) and there is another north of Poncitlan. For the one north of Ixtlahuacan you cannot zoom in on a map of it to print a map out as the page gets high jacked by someone trying to sell you something.  The small map I have shows Cedros quite a bit west of that highway. I need a helicopter.

7 hours ago, Islander said:

Cedros, Do you know about ruins of Hacienda La Maltaraña—also called La Bella Cristina near Jamay on east side of the lake? Or is it out of the area of your interest?

Build by Manuel Cuesta Gallardo, in 1873..... I do not know if it served as a typical Hacienda or was just a  "La Mansión".

Isalnder I have been to that one 3 times. Interesting. I think it was both. People are still living in the large building that was the granary. The house itself is quite separate-not the usual case.

On 8/26/2017 at 9:18 AM, pappysmarket said:

We were invited on a tour of La Calera with a bunch of other expats probably in 2004 or so. Turned out it was paid for by Perry March and he used it to try and convince people to invest in one of his ventures. We enjoyed the tour and did not invest.

Well, Perry March has his own estate and big house now on hundreds of acres.

5 hours ago, cedros said:

I find this quite confusing. There is a Buena Vista north of Ixtlahuacan (I think this is the one you are referring to) and there is another north of Poncitlan. For the one north of Ixtlahuacan you cannot zoom in on a map of it to print a map out as the page gets high jacked by someone trying to sell you something.  The small map I have shows Cedros quite a bit west of that highway. I need a helicopter.

The Buena Vista I'm talking about is the one just  north of Ixtlahuacan. Not sure what map you're looking at but I have no problem with Google maps. Cedros is to the west of Buena Vista. Not really that far, kilometer maybe.

For me Google maps shows 5 Buena Vistas in Jalisco-none near Ixtlahuaacan.

The paper map I'm also looking at is "Colonial haciendas of the Guadalajara region".

2 hours ago, cedros said:

For me Google maps shows 5 Buena Vistas in Jalisco-none near Ixtlahuaacan.

The paper map I'm also looking at is "Colonial haciendas of the Guadalajara region".

Driving north from Ixtlahuacan, approx. 5.5 km, when you come down the hill there is an entrance to the town on the right side. There is a large cross at the entrance. Follow the road around and then head straight to the village. Go straight past the church to the end of the road. There is a driveway on the left that takes you to the entrance of the hacienda. There is also a chain link gate before you go down the driveway that might be open. Honestly don't know if they are open to the public anymore. They used to have a nursery in the back that you could make purchases from but that has been closed for over a year now.

You can get to Cedros easily from BV. Instead of driving up to the main road when you leave go straight, under the bridge, then continue to the town which will be on your right.

Archived