Chapala.com Webboard

Visa and MasterCard

liquipure

Both my Visa and MasterCard were compromised early this morning. I haven't even used the MasterCard since March. The only places that I have used BOTH cards are Walmart, Adelita's restaurant and La Playa liquor store. Oddly enough both charges were for $74.88 USD on line purchases. We have reported it of course and are now awaiting new credit cards. Anyone else have false charges recently on credit cards?

My wife left her debit card in the ATM at Banamex the other day. Within an hour there was a cash withdrawal and three purchases on the card. merchants here do not, obviously, care who is presenting a card and do not ask for ID. Beware

2 hours ago, Alfa said:

My wife left her debit card in the ATM at Banamex the other day. Within an hour there was a cash withdrawal and three purchases on the card. merchants here do not, obviously, care who is presenting a card and do not ask for ID. Beware

What about the PIN?

It is more risky using credit cards in Mexico than NOB. If your cards are very important for use in case of an emergency don't use them for little things or they may be compromised and become useless.

Never dared us a cc when we lived here 2008-2012.  Now, with Chip reader technology we use a cc IF there is a chip reader AND the transaction is done in front of us.  

We have used it for large ticket items at Walmart, Home Decor,  Home Depot,  Uou, Costco, Amazon Mex.  We even used it to buy a new car!  

Won't use it at restaurants as they will presumably want to whisk the card away from the table and I won't be sure if they are using a chip reader.  

Our Chase M/C card is set up to email us immediately of any purchase over 50 USD equivalent and of any internet/phone cc transactions.  Great exchange rate and tons of airline miles.  

i do  not use my credit or atm card here mexico only at a hospital or a safe bank.

if you have a mexico atm , they have different rules, check with your bank manager, then can wipe out your whole account in hours, one bank manager told  a few months ago, a card was stolen and over 40,000 pesos was withdrawn.

bank will not reimburse, because bank was not told card was stolen until three days later.

For credit cards issued by US Banks, by law you are NEVER liable for more than $50 if your card is stolen and used fraudulently.  If your physical card is not stolen but your account number is, you are not liable for any charges.  

This from the US Federal Trade Commission site:

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0213-lost-or-stolen-credit-atm-and-debit-cards

How to Limit Your Losses

Credit Card Loss or Fraudulent Charges

Under the FCBA, your liability for unauthorized use of your credit card tops out at $50. However, if you report the loss before your credit card is used, the FCBA says you are not responsible for any charges you didn’t authorize. If your credit card number is stolen, but not the card, you are not liable for unauthorized use.

It happens - several years ago now, my Visa was "grabbed" either at Walmart of Soriana for $800 in computer equip in Guad. Here NOB a year ago I was hit for $400 worth of ladies clothes at Nordstroms Calif? - and they didn't even fit? In retrospect it was a bit amusing, when I talked to Nordstroms they said I had to report it to my "local police". I said "maam, you don't understand, I'm in semi-rural TX and my local police is a sheriff and when I track him down he may be on horseback and telling him about my problem buying ladies clothes probably will cause him to laugh so hard he'll fall off his horse" - so, I didn't bother. But, I do see reports of card skimmers at gas stations in Austin, so it's the world we live in.

Archived