Chapala.com Webboard

New construction next to coca cola

Kyle

On another note, all these ugly strip malls you keep predicting, I don't see that happening anytime soon.  It has taken them almost 10 years to fill our small Centro Laguna mall up with businesses, and it still ain't full yet.  The small new shopping center they built across from Farmacia Guadalajara in Chapala about 7 years ago has been totally vacant, only one business moved into it, and that was less than a year ago.  Where is all this talk of doom and gloom coming from?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Three stories high, 23 three bedroom apartments, and a condo hotel and 24 business units with 77 parking spaces in addition the those for the apartments and hotel, All on a 2 lane highway with traffic jams every day currently. This is during the low season, God only knows what it will be like when open during the high season. Yeah, there was not much study beforehand of the impact on the infrastructure of San Antonio at all, the sewer system, the water situation, the streets. Wonder who in town is getting all the under the table money for this? What a shame, so much greed. Wonder what will be put on the other two lots west of that site? 

I'm not to sure that I would put too much stock in a newspaper article from 18 years ago. But I do give you an applause for being able to remember with detail something that was said back in the last century.

If all these dire predictions were even close to being true, the three beautiful lakes between here and Guadalajara would be overstuffed suburbs by now - they are not. These are the the commuters, living in newly built, carefully planned, middle class, communities, not INFONAVIT, they have at least one less mountain range to cross before getting to Guadalajara, or school, or work, or airports, or country clubs, or hospitals, or strip malls -NOBBERS and Mexicans love their strip malls, sorry, but true. The Beebopper keeps bringing up La Floresta, she obviously has no idea how difficult it is to build on alluvial clay soil, and the prospect of digging out parking spaces, under the water table is also extremely difficult, and dangerous. There is a property market for young professionals working in the Chapala/Ajijic area - doctors, accountants, senior managers, and I can tell you many do not want  to live in, or maintain,  the folksy, down at the heels, type of houses their grandparents and relatives lived in, and expats seem to adore. I also don't get where they say there will be no elevators in this building. Where does it say that please?

http://www.accesslakechapala.com/2014/12/11/a-visit-to-lake-cajititlan-jalisco-mexico/

It's only a mater of time. If you look, you will see that both the libramiento and Riberas are slowly turning into a vast wasteland of highway-side businesses, just like taking a trip into Guadalajara once you pass highway 35. First, llanteras who require nothing more than a tin shack. Next, auto-repair shops. Then, ferraterias to support the small businesses. Then, campestre eateries to support the people who work there. and it seems as if anybody with a plastic tarp and some corrugated metal can open a shop.

What we are left with is a whole lot of ugly "store" fronts, with no proper ramp access or sideroads, causing more traffic and more accidents. Check out the libramiento right now, after you pass Omar's folly. Then look at Riberas. Where the new gas station went in, and the old Toscana pizza place was, there is a mechanic's shop, with so many cars bulging out to the street that they have taken to parking on San Juan. I can neither enter nor exit my neighbourhood anymore without taking wide berths, because I can no longer see around the cars to get in, or around the cars to get onto the highway.

Check out San Antonio: at least two, maybe three new ferraterias in the last few months. You can bet the empty stretch east between the new courthouse and the curves going into the park before Chapala will soon fill up with exactly the same kind of make-work businesses.

And pretell where is the employment for these people going to be coming from? There is already a market for local young professionals, and a few wealthy Tapatios who prefer large suburban properties where they can assemble their clans of all ages. But commuters to Guadalajara, even to the airport area - what a nightmarish existence that must be. People go where the jobs are. Even Jocotepec is much different than Chapala or Ajijic, because its proximity international, large scale agriculture.

So unless a significant employer enters the scene here, I forsee little change. Sorry. Just a bunch of well meaning business people, rolling the dice with their retail stores or restaurants, hoping to hit it lucky. Soon as they leave the table, broke, someone else is ready to take their place.

THE SKY IS FALLING!!!

When I moved here in 2008 Walmart was just starting construction and the Chicken Littles on this board were ranting about the complete devastation it would cause with traffic, destruction of local businesses and the area being unlivable. I do not think that Walmart had added much, if any traffic congestion due to the access space on the highway and large parking lot and on balance I think that it is a plus to our living conditions. I also believe that it is a definite plus to the locals here if you observe all the Mexican families there stocking up on low cost staples and products not readably available anywhere else. Also they provide entry level jobs for a lot of young folks here. As far as living conditions in San Antonio I could be a spokesman for the Chamber of Commerce here (if there was one).

4 minutes ago, betty7 said:

who cares? walmart is an ugly unneccessary blight. (IMO only). the mex stores are just as cheap as walmart, even cheaper. you walk in, get what you need & getout. not everyone wants to buy 26 rolls of toilet paper & a dozen soaps. this is warehouse, not a store. an entry level job @ walmart offers nothing. slave labor, working in a dreary dead job. i would open a fruit stand outside before i would do that. ask some mexicans, you may not know what is best for them. people lost their independence & private businesses & many lost land. 

You are entitled to your opinion but I think you are wrong on all counts. I live in a very Mexican neighborhood and there is no dissension in their opinion that Walmart is a net plus to the locals here. 

Let's don't turn this into another Walmart thread.  The topic is the construction next to Coca Cola.  On the former, I agree with GH.  Far more Mexicans use that store than expats.  We use that store and are glad to have it.

I'm skeptical of the market for this development.  But I don't see it having a lot of impact on the area.  I'm wondering how long before we see some sort of commercial construction on that big lot between it and Walmart.  Also, there are several big vacant parcels on the carretera right in Ajijic.  Just a matter of time for these too. IMO.  Just a matter of time.

If one has an upper level job in one of those factories south of the airport, it would seem to me this area is a much better choice for living than trying to get across town to Zopopan to a similar level of ambiance and housing.  That will be the suburb aspect.  I don't see a lot of people working in the GDL core coming down here to live.  Roads are too bad IMO.

It's OK though, when the new road to PV opens, all the Tapatios are going to descend on Pappys and we will be saved! :D

8 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Let's don't turn this into another Walmart thread.  The topic is the construction next to Coca Cola.  On the former, I agree with GH.  Far more Mexicans use that store than expats.  We use that store and are glad to have it.

I'm skeptical of the market for this development.  But I don't see it having a lot of impact on the area.  I'm wondering how long before we see some sort of commercial construction on that big lot between it and Walmart.  Also, there are several big vacant parcels on the carretera right in Ajijic.  Just a matter of time for these too. IMO.  Just a matter of time.

If one has an upper level job in one of those factories south of the airport, it would seem to me this area is a much better choice for living than trying to get across town to Zopopan to a similar level of ambiance and housing.  That will be the suburb aspect.  I don't see a lot of people working in the GDL core coming down here to live.  Roads are too bad IMO.

It's OK though, when the new road to PV opens, all the Tapatios are going to descend on Pappys and we will be saved! :D

You're probably right MC! PV has the same basic problem as the Lake.  Only 3 ways in and out down here but with all the construction slated to take place north of here towards R de G and the exits that are being constructed to accommodate them I think many Tapatios will be attracted there. Even an hour or so less than coming all the way into town and our traffic. It may well draw many of them away from the Lake. If they stop in the middle it's a win/win for you and us. A Plan C will have to be devised! 

Sunset from our balcony.

2017-07-10 20.40.41.jpg

All this ranting, and I somehow doubt that there are ten Mexican Citizens on here doing it.  First, we expats are completly powerless to do anything whatsoever to stop the tide. And second, our only option is to adjust to the new reality of move elsewhere.  Some of the posters are such frequent ranters that they repeat themselved ad nauseam, with not a single solution offered. 

"All this ranting, and I somehow doubt that there are ten Mexican Citizens on here doing it.  First, we expats are completly powerless to do anything whatsoever to stop the tide. And second, our only option is to adjust to the new reality of move elsewhere.  Some of the posters are such frequent ranters that they repeat themselved ad nauseam, with not a single solution offered. "

Unknown-1.jpeg

I agree with Natasha wholeheartedly.  We have been here since 2009, just before Walmart opened.  How many would like to see Walmart close.  It is frequented by as many expats as Mexicans.  So, as Natasha said, if you don't like it, move to the south shore, or walk to Walmart and don't complain about the traffic.  Ever been to Joco and seen the traffic there, and they have a bypass.

If you and your camera are at the right point at the correct time, and if you know how to use that camera, you can find many wonderful places to take a picture like the beautiful picture shown above.

That is a beautiful picture.

On 8/25/2017 at 0:21 PM, Mainecoons said:

Sheesh what a lousy location.  I guess that means dusty chicken will have to move.  Hope not too far!

Last week the Dusty Chicken folks told me they were planning to move directly across the street--mountainside. There is some parking in that lot.

I have to giggle every time I read these "the place is going to hell" posts. 

I lived in the San Fransico Bay Area and listened to how the influx of tech companies was ruining the city. 

I lived in Portland, OR and listened to people gripe that the influx of Californians were ruining the city. 

I lived in Sugar Land, TX and listened to how the influx of wealthy Asians was ruining the city. 

I lived downtown Houston and listened to how the influx of young upward mobil whites was ruining the area. 

Fact is, if you live in a nice place, others will want to live there too and the dynamics will change. 

If you want to be assured that you are going to never be bothered by rising prices, more congestion, and changing demographics move to a sh$& hole. I suggest any town in the Oklahoma panhandle, any part of Mississippi, or a boarder town. 

11 hours ago, TheBestSideOfTheWall said:

I have to giggle every time I read these "the place is going to hell" posts. 

I lived in the San Fransico Bay Area and listened to how the influx of tech companies was ruining the city. 

I lived in Portland, OR and listened to people gripe that the influx of Californians were ruining the city. 

I lived in Sugar Land, TX and listened to how the influx of wealthy Asians was ruining the city. 

I lived downtown Houston and listened to how the influx of young upward mobil whites was ruining the area. 

Fact is, if you live in a nice place, others will want to live there too and the dynamics will change. 

If you want to be assured that you are going to never be bothered by rising prices, more congestion, and changing demographics move to a sh$& hole. I suggest any town in the Oklahoma panhandle, any part of Mississippi, or a boarder town. 

You just said it all!  There's an article on how long a million bucks would last in various cities and it mentioned that all the nice places  like Hawaii or CA would run you broke in ten years or less, and the BEST places to go where it would last over twice as long were lovely spots like Mississippi, Arkensaw and the like.  We have CHOICES, folks.  Ain't that great?  It it time to quite the bitchin' yet?  ROFLMAO.

Archived