Chapala.com Webboard

Booked a Trip in Oct - What about Travel Advisory?

1 hour ago, Al Berca said:

Read this week's GDL Reporter including headlines and lead article.

Good one Al, that's one way to report but not get in trouble! 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, bontepar said:

I do not have to worry to the US travel warnings LOL

Not that funny (lol?)

Actually the last non Mx murders here at lakeside were  2 Canadians who complained about the loud music of construction workers next door. Next day they were robbed & killed (about a year ago)

Warning says beware of kidnappings. Do you really think yelling "I'm from Canada" will help?

2 hours ago, MarkEliot said:

Not that funny (lol?)

Actually the last non Mx murders here at lakeside were  2 Canadians who complained about the loud music of construction workers next door. Next day they were robbed & killed (about a year ago)

Warning says beware of kidnappings. Do you really think yelling "I'm from Canada" will help?

For the record it was 3 1/2 years ago

The real dangers that foreigners face in Mexico presently are not necessarily covered in the warning and are drunk drivers, loose livestock in the road at night, potholes and poor road conditions as well as the hurricane hitting the northern border by Texas.  Warning or not and regardless of your nationality these dangers are consistent and do not discriminate. 

7 hours ago, MarkEliot said:

Not that funny (lol?)

I do not have to yell I wear a pin with 2 flags Canada and Italy since I am both a Canadian and an Italian, good friends (both) of the mexicans

7 hours ago, MarkEliot said:

Not that funny (lol?)

I do not have to yell I wear a pin with 2 flags Canada and Italy since I am both a Canadian and an Italian, good friends (both) of the mexicans

15 minutes ago, bontepar said:

It is kind of sweet that you believe a flag pin protects you. I felt the same way about my St. Christopher's medal when I was a kid.

8 minutes ago, bontepar said:

I got news for you st.Christofer was demoted, no longer a saint!

Not a problem. I am no longer a Catholic. I don't believe that metal or plastic in the shape of a man (or two flags) is going to protect me from harm. 

2 hours ago, bontepar said:

Not too many Mexicans flocking to live in Canada or Italy.

Mexicans love Americans here because they TIP

28 minutes ago, bmh said:

The French have the same believe that being French give them points in Mexico.. what a joke.. whether Europeans or Canadians  we are all in the same bag ...foreigners.. even if we are naturalized.. 

So you're telling us the expat game of "I'm more Mexican than you are" is an exercise in futility.  Thank you for that insight, I couldn't agree more.  I hope the folks who worry about someone leaving out a letter in a Spanish word or who tell other expats to "go home" when they don't like the opinion being expressed will take note of your very true observation.

Couple of observations.  First, Mexican crime statistics are a joke, very little crime is reported here.  Second, much of it if not most of it is related to narco crime and the people involved in it.  For the most part and in most places the streets are safe.  Stay out of sleazy bars and far away from drugs, don't flaunt wealth like wearing expensive jewelry or watches, and be aware of your surroundings.   Be careful of who you hire and let into your property for domestic help or contractor services.

As a tourist area we get our share of petty thieves and pick pockets.  Use the same precautions for those as you would for, say, visiting NYC or Paris or any tourist area.  They will hang out where we hang out.  For example, I know of two purse snatchings at Salvadores, a very popular expat place for breakfast.  Both were easily avoidable. 

I definitely feel much safer here than in any major U.S. or European city these days.

On 8/24/2017 at 7:23 PM, dichosalocura said:

I believe that if you ask most expats that live in Lake Chapala and most expats that live throughout much of Mexico, they will tell you that they feel as safe here or safer than they did in most US cities.  Mexico has and has had violent problems related to drug cartels fighting other drug cartels.  Usually much of the violence has ocurred in rural areas and sporadically in certain specific cities.  And in those specific cities much (of course not all) of the violence has ocurred on the rough sides of town and at hours you most likely will be home asleep (kind of like back home!) I personally feel that you are more likely to be affected or harmed in the many daily shootouts that occur in the US than being murdered here in Mexico.  In Mexico, you are more likely going to be robbed, scammed, or taken advantage of, money wise, your first year until you learn the ropes of what to do and what never to do while in a foreign country.  After the first year, it should be pretty easy sailing.  Just don't walk down dark alleys in the middle of the night, drunk, and try to score some drugs, that is a recipe for an eventual disaster.  By not doing asinine stuff like that you dramatically reduce the chances of becoming a casualty in Mexico.  Life here is sweet if you use common sense!

We lived in a suburb of Dallas for 10 years.  The news was full of violent crimes but we never saw or experienced any.  We are pretty cautious.

On 8/24/2017 at 7:30 PM, Seren said:

I think what MarkEliot was trying to say is that we don't need any more expats or others of any sorts coming here - the place is full up ... find somewhere else .... we want to enjoy the paradise we found without any more infiltration. So - it's very dangerous and don't even think about it! 

LOL!  Don't blame you for trying to stop more people for moving in.

On 8/24/2017 at 9:24 PM, geeser said:

NAFTA won't affect the cartel's trade it isn't covered by NAFTA. There has never been a state department warning for Lakeside Jalisco.

My reference to NAFTA was that by issuing the travel advisory, the US Govt is trying to reduce visitors and retirees going to Mexico, thereby reducing the number of tourist/retiree dollars that Mexico gets.  Tourism and ex-pats are a big business for Mexico.

9 hours ago, snaimpally said:

My reference to NAFTA was that by issuing the travel advisory, the US Govt is trying to reduce visitors and retirees going to Mexico, thereby reducing the number of tourist/retiree dollars that Mexico gets.  Tourism and ex-pats are a big business for Mexico.

Please cite anything from anywhere that substantiates this.  There are more warnings because there is more crime.  Period.  We who live here know how to protect ourselves but the average visitor may not.  And if you look at the tourism statistics, these warnings are pretty much being ignored by U.S. and other tourists.  Tourism in Mexico is setting records.

http://www.virginrealtymexico.com/mexico-tourism-climbs-the-unwto-rankings/

On 8/24/2017 at 7:51 PM, bmh said:

However I can tell you that some of the road in Chiapas have a lot of assaults of regular people and until now it has never been published. 

THe warnings are blanket warnings and do not reflect the dangers to the tourists or foreigners who mind their own business.

Hola BMH, I was in Chiapas earlier this year on a tour to San Cris and then to Palenque.  After arriving back home I did hear about a "bandito" attack on a tourist bus on that isolated mountain road between the those two locations.  How much of that is actually happening?  Are these all narco attacks?   What is happening in San Cris??  I felt very safe and happy there, had a great time and thought about moving there.  If there is narco trouble there, are the Zapatistas getting involved in  fighting them?  How are the foreigners generally regarded there?  I'm planning another solo trip there next year.  Please advise, gracias!! :)

Here is my video of San Cristobal night life, very pleasing to me, nothing too noisy, everything very cool!

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 8:38 AM, Mainecoons said:

I definitely feel much safer here than in any major U.S. or European city these days.

Maybe that is because this is NOT a MAJOR city either. People seem to always compare this place to MAJOR US cities where sections have rampant crime/violence. To be honest and fair, one would have to say they feel as safe as a similar populated resort type area in the US or Canada. When that comparison is made, based on my limited travels to US resort type cities of very similar population, I honestly can not say that Lakeside is as safe. But, that is just my/our experience.  YMMD.  (Maybe a place like Marble Falls/ Horseshoe Bay Resort area in Texas would be a good comparison area).

I have heard that crime is up in San Cristobal but I live on a very safe street next to a clinic and where all the neighbors have been there for ever and some ar related.. They all watch out for the street and we do not j¿have problems.. Some neighborhoods are not so safe but the tourists usually do not venture in those areas so the town for tourists is very safe and the locals know which areas have problems.

The Palenque San Cristobal os not particularly safe. There are lots of assaults especially at night. The Simojovel area is not safe either and neither is the road going there. Those roads are very curvy and without much traffic so it is easy for bandidos to stop a car. A lot of the crime is between indigenous  and a lot of it is not reported. A few weeks ago 4 people were killed in a conflict between indigenous and that was not reported. I was with reporters from televisa this week and they did not know about it, I also was with government people and they did not know about it..None of it is aimed at tourists .

The Palenque road always had bandidos so there is nothing new.. no it is not related to narcos and the Zapatistas are not fighting the narcos A lot of the narcs are from Chamula and it stays between them.

Palenque San Cristobal road is a main road.. you should see some of the isolated roads... they are usually not paved..Do not think you have been on an isolated road because you have been between San Cristobal and Palenque or in the Lacandon jungle.

It is not a good idea to venture with a car in some isolated community , better go with public transportation and check if you can come back the same day during the day if you want to venture out. I work with various communities so I go into very isolated areas but I usually am with a local and can stay at his or her place if I cannot come back.

I have been going a lot to a village called San Caralampio to check out sand, always with a local and I was just reminded by a local to never go there alone with my car as I would be viewed as a rich target . I find Chiapas safe as a rule except for some areas but I have been travelling the various communities for  10 years and I know a lot of locals.. I never venture to an isolated area without check in with several people ..I am invited in October to a wedding where the land conflict has claimed several people and I will pass  as gathering like that are targets.. I know many people there and many people amongst the other faction but I will not go near the place right now..

There are lots of foreigners in San Cristobal and  I have never heard people talk about them one way or another.. they are tourists that come and go and leave money so no one has anything against them.

There are also quite a few foreigners involved in various organizations like Human Rights, Medecins sans frontieres. and all kinds of NGO´s many have made friends with the communities where they work and I have not heard of any problems. As long as you respects the customs and do not try to put your nose in conflicts there are no problems.

The foreigners are usually young, speak Spanish and help out .

If you are thinking of moving there, be aware the climate is really rough. lots of weather changing every few hours and lots of rain, cold days and fog in the mountains. The housing is pretty lousy, expensive for what you get in the center, cheap everywhere else but pretty dismal.  I always tell people that the first words you learn in Chiapas are  No hay , chaval mayuk or moyuk as there are lots of things you cannot find.. whether it is food, medicine, or anything for construction.  The coletos appear friendly but you probably will not be friends or invited in their house for years, unless you work with them.. the people from other areas including Mexico city who live here are way friendlier.

If you do not speak Spanish  you will be living in a bubble and will be cut off from what is going on. The local news are on the radio , the local press is dismal so you have to understand Spanish to know what is going on,

your video does not represent San Cristobal street life at night..it was taken during the feria or one of the fiestas. The danzantes there are just trying to make a buck at night and have nothing to do with the local indigenous. .There are lots of young people doing street theatre and who have acts during the spring feria or Christmas, Easter and in July but the street scene can be pretty dead as well, most if not all restaurants are touristy restaurants and overpriced as well. There are people there but most are Mexican tourists as the locals fo not have a  whole lot of money, San Cristobal is a poor town with a small middle class and a few rich families who have places  in Tuxtla, Mexico CIty, the States, Paris etc..

People who are not from here usually do not stay unless they have a business.. many foreigners come and go.

Archived