Chapala.com Webboard

Driving mexican plated car to Canada

Christiane

I have been living here for 7 years but still maintain a Canadian 'resident' status. Taxes are still being filed yearly in Canada.  I have a 'permanente' mexican visa, therefore the car I drove down from Canada to Mexico years ago now has a mexican plate. I also have a mexican license although my Canadian license is still valid. Instead of flying this time, I would like to drive to Canada for a month visit. Is this a problem to drive my mexican plated car, given that I am a 'resident', through the Canadian border?  Has anyone been in this situation? I know that if It were 'non-resident', it would not be an issue. Thank you.

Nope - been doing it for years with my Mexican plated vehicle (purchased here).  I still have "Residency" status and a valid Canadian driver's licence but prefer to use my Jalisco driver's licence.  This way, you don't need to worry about getting or paying any tickets you may receive as a result of a traffic violation in Canada.  Mexican driving habits acquired here tend to result in attention from the cops up there (parking in the wrong places, rolling stop signs, speeding slightly over the limits, etc.).

Christiane, I know of no law that requires you to give up your legal "residency" status in Canada when you become a permanent resident of Mexico.  Whether someone holds Canadian "resident" status or elects to declare "non-resident" status has more to do with what property you still own in Canada, how long you are there in a given 12 month period and your resultant tax bracket.

I read the following on another web site:

From the CBSA website: (http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/media/fac...s/074-eng.html)

If you are a Canadian resident, be aware that Canadian legislation places very strict guidelines on temporary importations of vehicles, such as rental cars, into Canada. If you rent a vehicle in the United States and drive to Vancouver, you may be told that your vehicle is inadmissible and turned away at the Canadian border.

There is also a CBSA document which makes it clear that Canadian residents may not drive US rental vehicles into Canada except under special circumstances: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...d2-4-1-eng.pdf

4 hours ago, canmex87 said:

I read the following on another web site:

From the CBSA website: (http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/media/fac...s/074-eng.html)

If you are a Canadian resident, be aware that Canadian legislation places very strict guidelines on temporary importations of vehicles, such as rental cars, into Canada. If you rent a vehicle in the United States and drive to Vancouver, you may be told that your vehicle is inadmissible and turned away at the Canadian border.

There is also a CBSA document which makes it clear that Canadian residents may not drive US rental vehicles into Canada except under special circumstances: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...d2-4-1-eng.pdf

This is about driving a Mexican plated vehicle into Canada...not US rental car

1 hour ago, Joyfull said:

This is about driving a Mexican plated vehicle into Canada...not US rental car

The article is about a Canadian resident driving a U.S. plated rental car (foreign plated) vehicle into Canada. I would be concerned about a Canadian resident driving a Mexican plated (foreign plated) vehicle into Canada.

I agree that there would be no problem if the driver was a non resident Canadian driving a Mexican plated vehicle.

I would suggest that the poster contact CBSA to clarify the situation rather than show up at the border and be denied entry.

Just my opinion.

\.

Hi, I’m new here and also to Canada, more specifically British Columbia. I’m doing pilot training in Vancouver and though it would be a good idea to bring mi car; I’ve seen the same exact car here so I assume is road legal as it is. 

The questioners is, I don’t know if this is the right thread or not. I am Mexican with a valid Mexican license and license plates, I have the option to get a student visa although my train gun is less than 6 months and I’ll be coming and going to a from mexico so I don’t exceed my 6 months legal stay in Canada. Can I drive my car to Canada and keep it there for at least 6 months maybe a year legally? 

Once  again, thank you very much for your help. :) 

OBO, you will have absolutely no problem driving your Mexican plated car along with your Mexican driver's licence while in Canada.  You may get a few "looks" and some friendly inquiries though as it is not a common sight to see a Mexican plated vehicle in Canada (I get it all the time when visiting up there).  Couple of things to remember though, you are not allowed to keep it there for more than six months.  If you are coming in and out of Canada with the vehicle in under six months it is not an issue.  Technically you are a "tourist" if doing this. If you plan on staying longer than six months, it is highly unlikely that you could "import" it into Canada and register it in BC. The only way it would qualify for importation is if it is on Canada's RIV list of eligible vehicles AND you updated it to comply with the Canadian regulations that were in effect at the time of its manufacture - probably at least the addition of daytime running lights, maybe more stuff.   The OP is in a different situation since her car originally came from Canada and as such should still be in the province's database. 

You should also talk with your insurance provider here in Mexico to make sure you have the optional rider on the policy which provides liability coverage during travel through the US and Canada.  If you want additional insurance coverage (such as comprehensive and collision or upset) you should contact ICBC to see if they will add this additional coverage for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I am a Canadian living in Mexico with a permanente resident status. This past summer I drove my Mexican plated car to Canada and was able to cross into the USA and Canada without incident. I was in Canada for slightly less than 4 months.    I wish to point out that it is very important in my view that everyone driving to Canada make certain they have sufficient and actual liability insurance coverage before traveling.   By that I mean be very careful when buying coverage, since in my province a minimum 3rd person liability coverage of $300,000 is required.  Also be careful to read the fine print.  One insurance company will sell you insurance for up to 365 days, however you must not be outside of Mexico for more than 28 consecutive days! Furthermore the company your decide to purchase insurance from must be registered with Canadian insurance authority.  Companies who are registered to provide coverage in Canada issue you what is called a "Yellow Card", which you may be asked produce by traffic authorities (aka police) to confirm the company is legitimate, and complies with Canadian insurance rules and regulations, and of course is financially solvent.   At this time I am actively seeking quotations for such coverage from different providers, as I felt the premium I paid last year was somewhat excessive, compared with what I had paid in the previous year.

On ‎27‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 9:52 PM, Frijoles said:

Three years ago, a friend drove his one-year-old Chevy Sonic up to Canada and was refused entry at the Alberta border. They cited higher safety standards in Canada as the reason. 

Made that one up didn´t you?  :angry:

• Sad 1

On August 27, 2017 at 9:52 PM, Frijoles said:

Three years ago, a friend drove his one-year-old Chevy Sonic up to Canada and was refused entry at the Alberta border. They cited higher safety standards in Canada as the reason. 

This is another one of those " I have a friend who knows someone that has a friend who overheard someone in a bar telling someone how he couldn't get his car in to Canada stories". 

• Haha 2

I have a suspicion that a Canadian is prohibited from driving a foreign plated vehicle in Canada, unless he is a legal resident of the country where the vehicle is registered. Sound familiar?  RT and RP visa holders might be able to drive their Mexican car in Canada.  Perhaps a Canadian will check the official sources and report back.

21 hours ago, TelsZ4 said:

This is another one of those " I have a friend who knows someone that has a friend who overheard someone in a bar telling someone how he couldn't get his car in to Canada stories". 

No, it was a very good friend. In fact I was house-sitting for him while he went up to Canada to work for a few months.

• 4 weeks later...

I have recently been discussing with Transport Canada and Border staff the issue of importing a Mexican plated vehicle into Canada.

First, if you are a Resident of Canada, you CANNOT bring your car into Canada on a temporary basis but must import it through the proper process.

Second, no car purchased in Mexico will meet the necessary requirements for importation unless you specifically had the dealer provide a vehicle that is compliant with Canadian specifications, and this request is very unusual, to say the least.

So, the answer is simple:  If you are a Canadian Resident you cannot legally take your Mexican car across the border into Canada!!  Non-residents, however have absolutely no difficulty to bring the vehicle into Canada temporarily, with no paperwork required.

Having said that, when asked at entry "where do you live", people do lie/misdirect at customs locations when entering Canada and say that they live in Mexico (implying non-resident) and may even flash their Mexican Perm Res card as "proof".  You, as a "non-resident", are then allowed to bring their vehicles into Canada and I am not sure that there is any way for the Customs official to actually check the status.  I am very much not suggesting that you lie,  but you need to understand the rules.  If they follow up with the actual "are you a non-resident" question, you may be in a real pickle for your previous answer.

If you say you are a Canadian Resident, no matter how long you have been out of the country, your vehicle is denied entry.

Not sure if you are always asked about "where you live", but they are not used to seeing any foreign cars other than US, so expect them to ask.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are talking two different things in your post.  Presenting a Canadian passport and driving a Mexican plated vehicle across the border into Canada is not "importing" the vehicle.  The only comments I ever heard from a Canadian Border Services Agent has been they wanted to see the "Tarjeta de Circulation" for the vehicle (I assume to demonstrate I was the owner of the vehicle) and then I was told I cannot keep it in Canada for any longer than six months.  I have NEVER been asked to show my Mexican "residency" card.  Different thing though heading southbound FROM Canada into the US.  I have been asked by a U.S. Border Protection Services Agent to show my Mexican Residency card.

On January 13, 2018 at 3:46 PM, BrianInMexico said:

I have recently been discussing with Transport Canada and Border staff the issue of importing a Mexican plated vehicle into Canada.

First, if you are a Resident of Canada, you CANNOT bring your car into Canada on a temporary basis but must import it through the proper process.

Second, no car purchased in Mexico will meet the necessary requirements for importation unless you specifically had the dealer provide a vehicle that is compliant with Canadian specifications, and this request is very unusual, to say the least.

So, the answer is simple:  If you are a Canadian Resident you cannot legally take your Mexican car across the border into Canada!!  Non-residents, however have absolutely no difficulty to bring the vehicle into Canada temporarily, with no paperwork required.

Having said that, when asked at entry "where do you live", people do lie/misdirect at customs locations when entering Canada and say that they live in Mexico (implying non-resident) and may even flash their Mexican Perm Res card as "proof".  You, as a "non-resident", are then allowed to bring their vehicles into Canada and I am not sure that there is any way for the Customs official to actually check the status.  I am very much not suggesting that you lie,  but you need to understand the rules.  If they follow up with the actual "are you a non-resident" question, you may be in a real pickle for your previous answer.

If you say you are a Canadian Resident, no matter how long you have been out of the country, your vehicle is denied entry.

Not sure if you are always asked about "where you live", but they are not used to seeing any foreign cars other than US, so expect them to ask.

You must have been talking to the wrong people..  ,Because my Canadian neighbor has driven his Mexician plated Honda Civic to Canada (Ontario) severall times to visit family. He has never mentioned having any issues at the border...

i don't believe that every vehicle  purchased in Mexico is not eligible to be imported into Canada.. Some maybe... But every one....B.S.

I heard these kinds of stories when I was going to import a vehicle from the US into Canada many years ago.. From people who claim they were knowledgable on the subject.. I was told you can't do it, it's to difficult, it's would cost to much money.  I finally called the Ministry of Imported Vehicles gave them the make and model, they told me right there on the phone that I could import that particular vehicle.. It was so easy to do.

I know importing and just visiting are totally different situations, But my point is "Don't rely on anything you read on forums".  Speak to the right people and ask them to email/mail you the relevant information .....That's what I did... 

• 2 weeks later...

I think some people are missing the point of my reply,  The issue is whether you are a Canadian "resident" or a "non-resident".  A Non-Resident can indeed drive their Mexican plated car into Canada with absolutely NO problem.  As long as you say that your permanent home is in Mexico, you will get through.  They can ask strange questions (eg. proof) but normally just take you at your word.  However, a Canadian resident cannot legally bring a Mexican plated car into Canada without importing it, and this is no longer easy.  Rules for US plated cars (or any car that was ever US plated, even if converted to Mexican plate) are completely different and their is no problem taking them into Canada (even rentals) no matter what your residency status.  Also, I was told by the Transport Canada official (they ARE the officials in this regard) that the Mexican plated vehicle (2014 Honda) would require major mods to pass the import test and once modified would not likely pass anyways, thereby making importing it a no-go. 

I can't see how a Transport Canada official would know if or what modifications a Mexican plated 2014 Honda would require to pass the import test without a physical inspection of the vehicle. The vehicle could have been manufactured in Japan, the US, or assembled in Mexico. All of which might result in different safety and emissions features.

3 hours ago, mudgirl said:

I can't see how a Transport Canada official would know if or what modifications a Mexican plated 2014 Honda would require to pass the import test without a physical inspection of the vehicle. The vehicle could have been manufactured in Japan, the US, or assembled in Mexico. All of which might result in different safety and emissions features.

That's correct .. That guy is so full of BS..  When you import a vehicle into Canada which I have done. You don't call Transport Canada, you call the Ministry of Imported Vehicles. Give them the make model and VIN.. they will enter it into the their computer which gives them all the info on said vehicle. And they will give you a "Yes or No" right then and there.... If it's a "Yes" they will mail you an importation package which contains all the required paper work...

• Confused 1