Chapala.com Webboard

CFE Burn Out

Paco Loco

Upper Chula Vista had a five hour power outage yesterday. CFE managed to let the power surge to over 210 volts AC which fried several 110 to D.C. Transformers and the surge protectors that I have for my big screen TV and sat receiver.  My old "beer fridge" motor is buzzing and I expect that it took a hit too. This was the worst power surge in eleven years. 

Without a proper ground on your ac outlets a surge protector won´t work. Some homes have no ground wire or the ground is not real ground potential they have it connected to. The quality of your surge protector bars also are a factor in protecting appliances efficiently.

Seriously, Lakeside, is that a question? Homeowners insurance is pretty standard in most parts of the developed world. Ours covers theft, earthquake, electrical surges and probably most important, liability and medical for guests and workers.

9 hours ago, geeser said:

When you replace those burned out surge protection strips you should also add a whole house surge protector as well. But you need to be sure your house receptals  are indeed grounded although the whole house one will work anyway. Look for something like   this.

I wonder if a local electrician could connect it properly. Where would you put it?

1 hour ago, cedros said:

I wonder if a local electrician could connect it properly. Where would you put it?

The device mounts in a hole the electrician will punch our that is pre-punched in the breaker box. It has two wires that go across both hot legs. One of mine had a chassis ground and one did not  I can give you the name and cell of the electrician that installed two at my house over the years. But I believe any jack-legged electrician can install it. The nice thing about these surge protectors is that they leave you with electricity with just a throw of the breakers that flip. It protects both legs of electricity. On a service with only one hot leg it goes hot to ground. It will have to be replaced because it burns out with a big surge like lightning..In 20 years only one has burned out. On a two leg system it isn't necessary for it to be grounded to work it just shorts the two and flips the breakers. It is certainly possible to just ground the unit. They drilled thorough the slab years ago and hammered in a second ground rod down below the breaker box. 

Hi Paco Loco! Would you be kind to tell me which part of Upper Chula Vista was affected with the CFE Burnt Out a few days ago? I have a place there but I am  currently North of the Border.   I  just am worried about my appliances too.Thank you.

Archived