Chapala.com Webboard

My Telmex Infinitum down

9 hours ago, mtatl said:

It was more than a DNS outage. You could not get through with IP addresses (no domain lookup required) either.

Yes. But, my intention was to help people understand why the Internet light can stay on when there is obviously no Internet coming through. I don't find that it is worthwhile to get into a technical explanation on this board, for most people, so an easily-digested bit of shorthand usually works best. Perhaps that was the wrong approach. (Here the majority of folks are used to hearing the term "DNS" and "server" together, as if they were two separate things, when --for those interested-- DNS actually means Domain Name Server. This is in large part due to TelMex support, happily throwing into the mix any explanation that might cause a user to stop and think "this is above my understanding." In any case, we end up with people saying "there was trouble with the Domain Name Server server.) So I will try to write a brief, proper explanation when I have a moment.

13 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Yes. But, my intention was to help people understand why the Internet light can stay on when there is obviously no Internet coming through. I don't find that it is worthwhile to get into a technical explanation on this board, for most people, so an easily-digested bit of shorthand usually works best. Perhaps that was the wrong approach. (Here the majority of folks are used to hearing the term "DNS" and "server" together, as if they were two separate things, when --for those interested-- DNS actually means Domain Name Server. This is in large part due to TelMex support, happily throwing into the mix any explanation that might cause a user to stop and think "this is above my understanding." In any case, we end up with people saying "there was trouble with the Domain Name Server server.) So I will try to write a brief, proper explanation when I have a moment.

Gives true meaning to "The lights are on but nobody's home".

Okay, here's the technical explanation:

It’s possible there was a backbone issue causing the ISP’s service interruption, maybe a cut fibre set or some other internal problem causing a disconnection to anything outside Telmex’s network.

If the modem is in sync with the port on the xSLAM, the DSL light would illuminate.  Unless there’s an issue with the ONU (xSLAM) or anything between it and the modem, then this light should always come on, since it’s just the modem talking to that ONU.  It would be off if there’s a problem, such as an open tip/ring, disconnected pair, downed ONU, etc.

For those who rebooted their modem, they may or may not have received a WAN IP once it was powered on again.  Telmex may have an IP pool that they use to hand out with PPPoE sessions authenticated internally, regardless of external issues.  This would account for the Internet light illuminating during the outage.  There would probably still be a data block count, but it’s likely data to/from the modem and the xSLAM and internal network only.

Stopped at Telmex this morning and was told it was a big problem across the country.  However, most folks should have gotten back online after 3-4 hours.  We're still out this morning in upper Ajijic near Tobolandia.  She recommended that I call the service line to see if they could troubleshoot our problem.  Anyone else still out?  

19 minutes ago, barcelonaman said:

Just curious to know why telcel data went down at the same time.

Has telmex come up with a reason for the problem?

I only know that once Telmex Infinitum went down several of us tried to stream via a telcel hotspot on our phones and at that time Telcel data was also down. Once could still phone on both Telmex and Telcel

Then someone posted an article above and this article talked about the fact that this outage was wide spread and that it impacted both Telmex Infinitum and Telcel data. I think the article explained what caused the outage but I am not sure.

52 minutes ago, johanson said:

I only know that once Telmex Infinitum went down several of us tried to stream via a telcel hotspot on our phones and at that time Telcel data was also down. Once could still phone on both Telmex and Telcel

Then someone posted an article above and this article talked about the fact that this outage was wide spread and that it impacted both Telmex Infinitum and Telcel data. I think the article explained what caused the outage but I am not sure.

This is the second time in two months this has happened. The first time seemed to be related to a widespread power outage during a thunderstorm here lakeside. Same symptoms: no Internet, no landlines, no cellular phone service. How they are all related is beyond me.

A local suggested to me that there was such an overload during the Eclipse of the Sun some 6 or so hours earlier, that this overload might have had something to do with it.  Trouble is I thought the overload would have been closer to the time of the eclipse than 5PM the same day. when the internet went out.

How do I know what time it crashed, I don't but the last time shown on the local weather station weather page was 4:59 PM and it was not updated at 5:09 PM (I used Telecable to go on line and  to check the time shown on the www.chapalaweather.net web page which I was told at one time used or uses Telmex Infinitum .)

Telmex has reported that this outage affects the entire country and into the USA.  Even the Telmex telephone lines aren't working.  

Some people are reporting that Infinitum comes up and lasts a few minutes and then goes back down.  

I doubt that this is much consolation, but it's not just you folks at Lakeside who are affected.

• 2 years later...

telmex has been horrible for the last few weeks..My internet has shut down every day for the last 5 days for up to 16 hours..I hope they offer a refund..Customer service on the phone is a waste of time..Switching to telcel