Chapala.com Webboard

La Vie En Rose # 2 on Independencia in Ajijic

Bisbee Gal

This weekend there was a large mobile cart at the corner of Colon and Independencia advertising crepes.  Yesterday I stopped and got their basic sugar crepe.  The young woman made it on a genuine cast iron crepe maker (as opposed to using a pan).  She handed me the folded crepe inside of a nice little cardboard pocket seemingly designed for the crepe.  I was impressed with the taste, texture of the crepe as well as the upscale-ish serving container.  It was 24p.  They had a small menu with a few fruit filled crepes and a few savory ones.  There was a sign also advertising Belgium waffles. 

Just now, I walked past that area and there are signs up announcing the opening of La Vie En Rose #2 at .... Independencia #2.  It opens later this week.  Their FB poster says breads, macaroons, crepes, etc. 

FB link is:   https://www.facebook.com/pateleriafrancesaisabelleetfrederic/

vie.jpg

The reference was to now defunct Restaurant # 4, which later became just 4, and their habit of adding a service charge for larger seatings. Originally this patisserie was mentioned as having owners of that place involved with this place.

17 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

The reference was to now defunct Restaurant # 4, which later became just 4, and their habit of adding a service charge for larger seatings. Originally this patisserie was mentioned as having owners of that place involved with this place.

Larger setting must mean 2 people for them. Good thing we checked the bill to notice what we ordered didn't add up. After asking them what that was about and them making us wait for a good 15 min to "sort it out", it was determined as a "service fee" but then it was said it was up to us to pay it (although it was reflected in the total). They got ZERO tip and I won't even give their new business a try now. 

Been stopping in once or twice a week for croissants, pastries, mini-quiches, etc.  Very happy with all their baked goods. 

New sign on outside wall today says there will be a French restaurant, Oui Oui, on the premises sometime in October, serving lunch and dinner daily.   

Ok. Unclear as to its location.  The photo shows two aderesses with different hours.  What is the difference?

Is one a bakery and the other something else?

I don't know where Plaza del Flores is.  Can someone be a bit more specific?

The original is where arquitecto Don Pedro's restaurant is, although I have never heard the name of the "plaza". The newer place is down on Independencia, which runs parallel to the lake. I am xxxx EDIT: thanks to Bisbee Gal for reminding me of the location. I had forgotten there was a discussion recently about the poor parking there.

The original is where arquitecto Don Pedro's restaurant is, although I have never heard the name of the "plaza". The newer place is down on Independencia, which runs parallel to the lake. I am guessing from the #2 that it is at the west end, south of Seis Esquinas.

The new place is just one property west of the corner of Colon and Independencia, where 16 de Sept. name changes to Independencia.  It is at the former home of Flossie, the Hummingbird Lady, to those who knew her.

The baking is done at the West end location (near Pedro's Steak House)  and brought to #2 Independencia location.  The #2 Independencia location also serves breakfast and light lunch fare (quiches, sweet and savory crepes, Belgium waffles, egg dishes) with table service.  When you walk into their gate, the baked goods are sold in a separate building to your right.  

The location at West end sells baked goods, coffee and has some seating; I do not know if they serve breakfast or lunch.  

"I wonder if anyone who has been there already might have noted the time that the restaurant opens, and could pass that info along?" "Yes, you are right... I am too lazy to read previous postings."

I get it!

I'm a little confused.  Somewhere along the postings, this place was said to be opened by the folks who had Restaurant #4, but I'm hearing about the baked goods actually coming from the French Patisserie in West Ajijic near Don Pedro's restaurant.

Could someone enlighten me as to who is running what and where the food is coming from (regular breakfast and lunch items?)  I'm too lazy to go all the way back, too.B)

Larger setting must mean 2 people for them. Good thing we checked the bill to notice what we ordered didn't add up. After asking them what that was about and them making us wait for a good 15 min to "sort it out", it was determined as a "service fee" but then it was said it was up to us to pay it (although it was reflected in the total). They got ZERO tip and I won't even give their new business a try now. 

Membership to that little group is confirmed. Really, the best part is the non-frequentation.

Punitive tariffs remain the deterrent to keep the targeted members of that tiny group at bay.

Gringal :opened by the folks who had Restaurant #4, but I'm hearing about the baked goods actually coming from the French Patisserie in West Ajijic near Don Pedro's restaurant."

Gringal, you are correct, so not sure what the confusion is about. Anyhow, Bisbee Gal already explained it perfectly in a previous post.

Bisbee Gal: "The new place is just one property west of the corner of Colon and Independencia, where 16 de Sept. name changes to Independencia.  It is at the former home of Flossie, the Hummingbird Lady, to those who knew her.

The baking is done at the West end location […] and brought to #2 Independencia location.  The #2 Independencia location also serves breakfast and light lunch fare (quiches, sweet and savory crepes, Belgium waffles, egg dishes) with table service.  When you walk into their gate, the baked goods are sold in a separate building to your right.  

The location at West end sells baked goods, coffee and has some seating; I do not know if they serve breakfast or lunch." 

Just a note, The West End location does serve breakfast from 8 am.

Thank you for your patronage.

Potential customer!!! Really? What are you talking about.

Either way you are posting without reading previous post(s) or you are reading them without understanding.

Reading the prior posts provides no clue as to who or why a group is unwelcome at your establishment.  The only information is that a group of two people had a 30% "service fee" added to their bill for an unknown reason and were upset.  Unless this is untrue, it would be a real negative to any potential diners.  Our lunching "group" of four were expecting to try your new place next week and would like to know what to expect when the bill comes.

Potential customer!!! Really? What are you talking about.

Either way you are posting without reading previous post(s) or you are reading them without understanding.

Then please explain this second post you have made about this "tiny group". Specifically, which tiny group, and what do you mean? We all took it to mean your high disdain for anyone who would dare complain.

Membership to that little group is confirmed. Really, the best part is the non-frequentation.

Punitive tariffs remain the deterrent to keep the targeted members of that tiny group at bay.

Obviously, there are absolutely no service fee for guests. Unless of course, you belong to that tiny group of . . . 

If you do, punitive tariffs are mandatory. :)

Reading the prior posts provides no clue as to who or why a group is unwelcome at your establishment.  The only information is that a group of two people had a 30% "service fee" added to their bill for an unknown reason and were upset.  Unless this is untrue, it would be a real negative to any potential diners.  Our lunching "group" of four were expecting to try your new place next week and would like to know what to expect when the bill comes.

Gringal,

All of our patrons are guests and are treated as such. The staff received specific training to that end and employee who could not understand that concept did not last. Over two years, “4” served close to 10,000 dinners, delivering a great experience to its guests on and offsite. There was always a manager or one of the owner on site to resolve any issue(s). Covers for live music, special events and holydays, absolutely. 15% gratuity for groups of 5 or more, indeed. All these were duly noted at the entrance, on menus, on special menus, etc… Simple: the entire team treats guest the way they would want to be treated. That is the reason why waiters at “4” routinely have received very large tips (100% or more than the actual dinner tab).

At “4” many steps were taken to ensure accurate bills, restaurant software system, touch screens, cashiers controlled computerized tickets, security camera system, hidden camera, etc . . . Now mistakes are always possible and we were always more than glad to fix them, if and when someone brought it to management. So, can it be believe that a restaurant waiter, including at “4” would charge a 30% “service fee” (which does not exist), bypassing the software (with the manager password) and the cashier printer, and get away with it.  

It is simple. Either the entire “4” team was a bunch of low lifes  thieves, all in it, with the only intend to steal from its guests, or the poster with his 30% fee, is full of it. It is cut and dry.

The only thing we can do is to tell you that, what that poster claim could not have happened, and therefore belong to that little group.

We have always and continue to focus on giving our guests the best food, wine, entertainment for a great experience; La Vie en Rose will do exactly that with the Bakery, the Pastry shop and the breakfast currently being served. Gringal, you are welcome to come and see for yourself, what the new place is about. In doubt,  or if it is not written, fell free to ask your waiter any questions regarding prices, what is included, what is not. Finally, your bill should be accurate, but never hesitate to check your bill if you have a shadow of a doubt.

That is of course, unless you believe the poster from that little group to be truthful.

Archived