Chapala.com Webboard

Changing name on CFE account?

Apache

Please would anyone know what papers are required to make a change to an existing

name on a CFE(electric utility) account.   Am assigning my interest in a residential property

to a family member.  Current account in my name. 

What list of items would be needed by my family member to make the change?

And change would need to be done without the family member on site in Mexico.

A friend could deliver the needed paperwork and information in his absence.

Many thanks

I changed the name on a CFE account to my name. I needed the "escritura" in my name to do it [that was the only thing they would accept at that time at that office] and brought the original and a copy for them to keep but they didn´t want it, only to see the "escritura". My wife originally had the CFE account put in my name when we built our new house and she did not need to show the "escritura" only apply for the new connection with my CURP card and my photo ID when I was back in San Diego. So I guess it depends on where and who you talk to. Some landlords won´t let a renter with a lease change their account to the renters name so I presume CFE knows this or is helping the landlords out [capital gains tax considerations]. I have heard of renters getting the CFE account changed to their name by bringing in a lease and a notarized letter from the owner stating this was OK to do but can´t confirm it. Possibly without a CURP your heir can´t get the account in their name, I suspect.

Why do you care whose name it is in?  All CFE cares is that the bills are paid. And be aware that when you Do change the name on the account, a hefty fee (they call it a security deposit) accompanies same.  That's why many of us (renters) change the Telmex bill and leave the CFE bill alone.  Because believe me, getting that security deposit back if you leave that property, or are making a change for ?? reason, is next to impossible even though the next named person will also pay!

In my case, when I bought this house last year, the previous owner took a copy of my passport and my Inmigrante card (front and back) and changed it into my name before we even closed. Charge was 500 pesos. Then she needed to have it changed back into her name for tax considerations... another 500 pesos. Then it finally got changed back into my name for another 500 pesos. The last time I accompanied her to the CFE office... but never did have to produce my Escritura.

Nothing, absolutely nothing is written in stone in Mexico.

As Ferret points out, if you are the owner you definitely want it in your name for tax purposes if you ever sell and want to use the Capital Gains Exemption.

Archived