Chapala.com Webboard

SuperLake Pricing

tomgates

I was in SuperLake earlier today and asked Pancho if he was going to lower the price of the imported rye bread from $159 back to $129 where it was before the peso tanked to 21 to the USD. The peso is back up to 17 and change. He said he has to buy the rye bread in 2 pallet loads from NY. He bought the last shipment when the peso was over 20. He has to rent a space in Guadalajara to keep it frozen. He will be ordering another shipment in a month or so. As usual, Pancho has to jump thru several hoops to get stuff from the US or Canada or France to allow us to buy those things. Some like to highlight differences between Lake Chapala and San Miguel. One big difference is that San Miguel doesn't have a SuperLake! 

Nor Puerto Vallarta.  At least we have Casa Imports and a nice deli in Los Mercados that does carry a few things that Pancho does, but not nearly the selection.  When you just want it, price becomes minimally important.

Hope he keeps plenty of buttermilk for BG.

About every three or four months I just HAVE to have spoon-size Shredded Wheat. Last time this happened the price was up to about 150 pesos. I hesitated, stood there pondering for a few seconds, and then bought it. I enjoyed every tasty bite with gratitude. I live in the central highlands of Mexico and, thanks to Poncho, I can have Shredded Wheat!

I know that feeling, Xena. I found some Vlasic pickles at Casa Imports a short while ago, $165! I pondered more than a little but finally bought them. My wife and I enjoyed every "crunch" of them!

We have been exceedingly pleased with the breads at the Scandinavian Bakery.  Their prices are excellent given the quality of their bread, IMO.  They list rye and caraway on two varieties, but we have not tried those.  Here is a link to breads and prices.  BTW, they have a slicing machine if you want loaves sliced.  

http://www.peterpanaderia.com/bread/

Been here only (2) weeks.  I have been doing our grocery shopping at Walmart.  Does this Superlake have products others don't?  Are their prices competitive or is it simply a store closer to your residence?  Just wondering.

HoosierMex, I sent you a private message. You should see an envelope icon at the top right of your page. It should indicate that you have a message, so just click on it to view. 

7 hours ago, HoosierMex said:

Been here only (2) weeks.  I have been doing our grocery shopping at Walmart.  Does this Superlake have products others don't?  Are their prices competitive or is it simply a store closer to your residence?  Just wondering.

Super Lake does have a lot of items not seen anywhere else.  It is worth the trip to go there. He also carries many items from Costco.

He also carries a lot of bulk items from the abastos in Guad.  I don;t mind paying the upcharge.  It saves me from having to drive to Guad!!

maw

But does HEB have US products at nice prices, Ranch Style Beans, Van Camp's Pork n' Beans, Campbells Tomato and Chicken Noodle soup??  These are most often priced in Texas at $.50 a can or 8 or 9 pesos. 

1 hour ago, tomgates said:

But does HEB have US products at nice prices, Ranch Style Beans, Van Camp's Pork n' Beans, Campbells Tomato and Chicken Noodle soup??  These are most often priced in Texas at $.50 a can or 8 or 9 pesos. 

Tom, you know NAFTA doesn't work that way!

20 hours ago, Xena said:

About every three or four months I just HAVE to have spoon-size Shredded Wheat. Last time this happened the price was up to about 150 pesos. I hesitated, stood there pondering for a few seconds, and then bought it. I enjoyed every tasty bite with gratitude. I live in the central highlands of Mexico and, thanks to Poncho, I can have Shredded Wheat!

For me it's Grape Nuts

6 hours ago, maw7815 said:

Super Lake does have a lot of items not seen anywhere else.  It is worth the trip to go there. He also carries many items from Costco.

He also carries a lot of bulk items from the abastos in Guad.  I don;t mind paying the upcharge.  It saves me from having to drive to Guad!!

maw

Thanks.

Wise shopping at SuperLake should include being aware that there are often Mexican-manufactured versions of imported items. For example, my Mom would always grab the U.S. imported Oreo cookies, which back six or seven years ago were about 90p a box. Across the aisle in Superlake, the Mexican version was 1/4 that price. The soup aisle has one side loaded with imported soups; the other side of the aisle has the Mexican version, at much, much cheaper prices. You can pay $120p or more for imported chicken broth, or 18p for Campbell's Mexican variety.

(Note to Oreo fans: the Mexican version is definitely not the same as the imported version, but is really the exception to the rule.)

On 8/19/2017 at 4:17 PM, IMBurnen said:

For those of you without scruples, like me, buy Rye bread at Walmart for 69pesos a loaf. Also pumpernickel. Yes you have to gaze past the rows of Bimbos to find it, but it is worthwhile.

Must check that out...

Good to hear people speaking up for Superlake.  I sometimes get exasperated when everything's an import and I can't find basics, but then I scoop up the last bottle of shao hsing cooking wine for my char siu and I feel like I won the lottery!  I've shopped there for 18 years and probably couldn't have survived without some place to indulge my cravings, even if it meant cooking the treats myself!

On 8/19/2017 at 4:17 PM, IMBurnen said:

For those of you without scruples, like me, buy Rye bread at Walmart for 69pesos a loaf. Also pumpernickel. Yes you have to gaze past the rows of Bimbos to find it, but it is worthwhile.

Could not find any rye. Found some great whole wheat arandano bread, though. Were you saying the rye bread would be in this section, past all the Bimbos...?

bread.jpg

Archived