Chapala.com Webboard

Telecable update

johanson

I dropped by the Telecable office just West of Chapala near Mom's Restaurant this afternoon and asked when they were going to offer higher internet speeds.

The previous time I was there was in early July, they  were turning people down who wanted to subscribe to digital TV and/or the  and could not upgrade my internet speed. They were apparently maxed out. This time the two young ladies told me that perhaps by the end of the year, I could upgrade my download speed from  5 Mb/sec to a higher speed. And while I was there a potential English speaking client came in and asked if he could subscribe to the internet.  They said that they were again taking more clients, and asked where he lived.

I had to get going so I didn't stick around. But this time instead of hearing sorry but we don't have faster internet available and we are not taking any new clients even for digital TV, I heard good news.

The problem with telecable is not the speed in my opinion, but the reliability of the service. 

If the wind blows the cable the right way you may be lucky the net won't drop. You are on the wrong side of the street you may be the unlucky one that has to reconnect every hour. 

5 hours ago, Crazydog said:

The problem with telecable is not the speed in my opinion, but the reliability of the service. 

If the wind blows the cable the right way you may be lucky the net won't drop. You are on the wrong side of the street you may be the unlucky one that has to reconnect every hour. 

Agree, that was the problem with our service and when they jacked the price up we decided we didn't need it.  Haven't missed it at all. TelMex is slow but almost never off here and fast enough for streaming.

I get around 5 from telecable at my house and 1 or 2  from telmex.. it all depends in what part of town you live for telmex and the traffic or the wind for telecable.. ha ha  . Telmex told me that in our area that is they could do.. I have not checked with my neighbors to see what they were getting  as I use telecable in the morning, at night the speed goes down to the telmex speed so it is pretty bad. I hope one of them can  improve..

TelMex is very dependent on location.  We had hoped with the change in ownership that Telecable would improve and we could buy just internet service from them but thus far things appear pretty much the same according to a buddy around the corner.  The speed dropping drastically with usage seems to be endemic to cable modem, same thing happens at both my brother's and brother in law NOB.  Even so, up there far faster even at the slowest than anything here.  I'm told it is a lot faster in GDL.

16 hours ago, johanson said:

I dropped by the Telecable office just West of Chapala near Mom's Restaurant this afternoon and asked when they were going to offer higher internet speeds.

The previous time I was there was in early July, they  were turning people down who wanted to subscribe to digital TV and/or the  and could not upgrade my internet speed. They were apparently maxed out. This time the two young ladies told me that perhaps by the end of the year, I could upgrade my download speed from  5 Mb/sec to a higher speed. And while I was there a potential English speaking client came in and asked if he could subscribe to the internet.  They said that they were again taking more clients, and asked where he lived.

I had to get going so I didn't stick around. But this time instead of hearing sorry but we don't have faster internet available and we are not taking any new clients even for digital TV, I heard good news.

My experience is that Telecable employees experience odd verbal spasms where they promise - that's too strong - they suggest that better speeds are coming. Such and such will get upgraded and higher speeds will be offered. These brief periods of good news and hope are accompanied by possible time periods, always some number of months in the future. They may even sketch out a tiered pricing scheme that includes speeds that leave you swooning.

After the allotted number of months have passed and you inquire about the promised upgrades, improved speeds...tier pricing...the girls behind the counter look at you in polite confusion at first. Maybe you have lapsed into Swahili? They shake their heads, frowning slightly, clearly wondering whether you are possessed or just experiencing a mild bout of insanity. They look at each other to confirm they are safe in a public place with you.

If you foolishly repeat, with despair in your voice, their promises; their heads shake a sad no. You may ask about future upgrades and speed increases. No, no. The woman at the desk on the side shakes her head no. The woman sweeping the floor shakes her head no. The TV over the counter somehow shakes its head no.

Now, this was just my experience, johanson. I wish you much better luck. ;)

18 months ago, right after IZZY took over, a rep showed up at my door wanting to provide me with cable.  I paid 150MXN and was told that they would do the install in 3-5 days.  Haven't seen them since.

I consider the 150MXN to be a cheap price to learn how great their service is.......

25 minutes ago, Sea said:

My experience is that Telecable employees experience odd verbal spasms where they promise - that's too strong - they suggest that better speeds are coming. Such and such will get upgraded and higher speeds will be offered. These brief periods of good news and hope are accompanied by possible time periods, always some number of months in the future. They may even sketch out a tiered pricing scheme that includes speeds that leave you swooning.

After the allotted number of months have passed and you inquire about the promised upgrades, improved speeds...tier pricing...the girls behind the counter look at you in polite confusion at first. Maybe you have lapsed into Swahili? They shake their heads, frowning slightly, clearly wondering whether you are possessed or just experiencing a mild bout of insanity. They look at each other to confirm they are safe in a public place with you.

If you foolishly repeat, with despair in your voice, their promises; their heads shake a sad no. You may ask about future upgrades and speed increases. No, no. The woman at the desk on the side shakes her head no. The woman sweeping the floor shakes her head no. The TV over the counter somehow shakes its head no.

Now, this was just my experience, johanson. I wish you much better luck. ;)

One of the very best posts I have read on here! Funny and so true!

Thanks.......Move over Bodie Kellogg.

5 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Pappys, what are internet speeds like in PV?

Just curious.

We're at the end of the line here but we get 10 down and 1 up on the $389 Telmex plan. Izzi doesn't come to our building nor Cosmored.

They advertise faster closer to downtown but I cannot confirm that. In our old location in Old Town they installed fiber a couple of years ago and we were getting 35/10 but it gradually dropped as more were hooked up and then I think they throttled us to what we were paying for.

49 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

We're at the end of the line here but we get 10 down and 1 up on the $389 Telmex plan. Izzi doesn't come to our building nor Cosmored.

They advertise faster closer to downtown but I cannot confirm that. In our old location in Old Town they installed fiber a couple of years ago and we were getting 35/10 but it gradually dropped as more were hooked up and then I think they throttled us to what we were paying for.

By local standards here, wow!

Gracias!

You are so right pappy. The good thing is that the speeds are increasing most everywhere, if you are close enough to where your DSLAM card attaches to the internet and if the wiring between your DSLAM card and your modem are in good shape. Within a few years we should have faster speeds available than my ten down by 1/2 up I have now

For those of you who might be wondering what a DSLAM might be..... it is a 'box' in your neighborhood that connects your house Internet with the central office. Digital Subscriber Line Access Multiplexer.  Very high speed backbone line from the central office out to the DSLAM and many lower speed copper wire lines from the box out to the various houses.

Just for the fun of it I just did a speed test of my 5 Mb/sec Telecable internet speed package now  on Saturday evening at 18:25.  Usually at this time my speeds would be much slower than promised. But something is very different today. I am actually getting more than I am paying for, Either I am very lucky or maybe things are getting better at Telecable

6553611955.png

Again some 30 minutes later

6553654031.png

I don't get it. It used to be so much slower than I paid for on the weekends.

Well I do understand now one of the reasons Telecable was so much faster than usual this weekend. This Sunday morning I had breakfast at Salvador's in Ajijic. Normally Sunday morning is packed with all kinds of Guadalajarans enjoying their weekends lakeside.

Not this weekend. There were only half as many. It seems that school starts for many of the Guadalajara schools tomorrow and because of this, many stayed in town this weekend and didn't come to their weekend lakeside homes according to the restaurant owner..

The net effect was that there were many fewer families using the internet this weekend.

I hope I am wrong and that Telecable really did increase the size of its information highway between lakeside and Guadalajara.

So that's why there were still so many Nationals here in PV last week. The local schools here went back last Monday and we couldn't figure out why so many families were still here. Thanks Pete.

That does suck. The strange thing is that when I did a test just now at the top of Juarez in Ajijic, just above Las Salvias, I am still getting great results. something I wasn't most of the summer. Most every day the speed was slow on the weekdays and on the weekends and holidays the download was almost always under 2 Mb/sec

6555969909.png

Where are you located, Chapala Drone?

Archived