Chapala.com Webboard

Drink/Drive business opportunity. Mega bucks.

There are two ways to avoid this problem of getting stop/check and end up with jail time and $5,000 plus pesos for fines and car confiscation.

#1 Don't drink and drive, not even one beer. 

#2 Where there is a problem the solution represents a business opportunity and profit. SO! We need two or more business entrepreneurs who are looking to make mega bucks. Her is how!!

Traffic is stop at La Floresta both ways during drinking/driving stops which is the perfect place for it.  How does the driver avoid getting thru without jail time and $5,000 pesos. Simple (S.S.) We collect non drinking drivers, pre tested  ( 20 to 30 ) to be at the Actinver/Guad. Farmaca parking lots driving West to East and drive the owners vehicle PAST the check zone to the Walmart parking lot. Then the owner can proceed home. Cost $300 peso or so. If stop $600 pesos more or so. If coming East to West the same start at Walmart go thru check point and be drop off at Actinver/Guad. Farmaca. Estimate that 90% of drivers continue thru as the 3 drivers are being checked. This is a DEAL. What do you think!! Need extra details from you to make it work perfect. That's where you come in. How about it. Comment please. I'm ready, are you.

And how many times would the non-drinking drivers be allowed thru before the policia notice that the same driver(s) keep showing up thru the checkpoints. Perhaps follow you to see what's going on. 

Think you've inhaled toooo much sawdust if you think this is going to work.

I'll assume this is in jest as well, particularly since the OP suggests the right approach is for the driver to avoid even one drink.

Kyle, great idea.  I suspect, though, there simply isn't enough business around here in the late evenings to make it worth while for the taxistas.

Maybe I am wrong but I thought I detected Hammerhead's tongue implanted in his cheek as he wrote that. Buying dinner for a designated driver would be the best idea except for those groups where no one can eat a meal without consuming alcohol with it. But, then that group has a whole different problem.

The response by taxi drivers to Uber in Puerto Vallarta has been contentious at best and down right violent at worst.  PV is a much more taxi dependent town but we can surmise that our taxi families have been keeping competition and expansion at bay because there hasn't been any as the area has grown.  

Well take a look at the cars that show up in the UBER app in Ajijic.  The cars keep resetting their location like they are fake cars on the app.  And at least for me they all show up on the roads at the top of the mountain.  Just saw one car in the middle of Lake Chapala.

2 hours ago, RickS said:

I remember something similar being said about..... Netflix

Actually NetFlix numbers aren't great either and now Disney is dumping them for their own site.  I sure would hate to lose NetFlix though, it is by far the most watched thing in our house even though we had to do some serious jumping through hoops to get the USA version here in our home.

2 hours ago, RickS said:

I remember something similar being said about..... Netflix

NetFlix is toast also.  There is a limited amount of stuff to watch and when you have seen everything that interests you, you are gone.

NetFlix says it will invest $20 Billion in new material, but it doesn't have $20 Billion and new material takes time.

NetFlix is a multi-billion dollar business, publicly traded, which means the board wants more and more return. It won't go away. Smartly, they are considering new business opportunities. You may recall they used to be simply a mail-order DVD business.

I thought the proposal is to rent a driver to get you through the check-point. Once through, the driver gets out and you go on your way. Taxis and Uber will not let you maintain possession of your car.

Tongue in cheek, perhaps. Mike the ComputerGuy has stated in the past that he does not condone drunk driving. He probably does not condone jail and impound for one beer, either.

I don't -- especially when, if the past is any indicator,  not one centavo will end up saving lives and will all go into the pockets of a handful of unscrupulous politicians or the pockets of their relatives.

The way the old time taxistas have been reacting to UBER and trying to somehow link this to NETFLIX is beyond my ken.  You're in no physical danger using NETFLIX.  

BTW,  NETFLIX Is in no danger of going bust when you consider the cost of taking a family to the movies in the U.S.

A Party Bus?  Reliance on people using the taxis late?  Nice thought.

The only thing that will get Lakeside taxi drivers off their a***s is the real fear that a competitor is taking their livelihood. Then and only then. It's been a gravy train for so long they think somehow nobody can disrupt their fat, dumb and happy lives. I kinda knew it all along but a couple of years ago I needed to go from Maskaras to SA. He quoted a fare and I said OK even though it seemed outrageous, I think $80. We got to SL and I said we wanted to go down to Mario's.  "Oh, that's $10 extra". I speak Spanish,rode taxis there many times, but that was my bell-ringer that these cats need some serious learnin.

A taxi ride that short here in PV would be $50 max and that's 2 years later. They will take you anywhere in that zone for the same price and don't expect a tip unless they help you with packages, etc. We always tip $10 anyway because almost without exception they are friendly and eager to let you practice your Spanish, especially if you talk soccer. You would have a lot less road congestion if people could get a friendly cab at a reasonable price.

Just my HO

Archived