Chapala.com Webboard

driving to Phoenix Sunday

dennis clark

It can be done in two 13 hour days, but it will not be a pleasant drive pushing that hard.  I really recommend that you take three days. From Guadalajara, it is Rt. 15D, a good toll road all the way to the border.

1.  Chapala to either Mazatlan (6.25 hrs) for fun, or Culiacan (8.5 hrs) for more distance (Motel Paraiso is nice & safe, especially if you have pets). Good stop: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Motel+Paraiso/@24.8285355,-107.5010228,12z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x6a32fece2d7ec5f7!8m2!3d24.8312229!4d-107.4290538

It is just off Rt 15.....use the Google map for details. Economical/Restaurant & room service too.  Secure parking with attendant & guarded gate.

2. Next stop:  Hermosillo (10.5 hrs from Mazatlan, or 8.5 hrs from Culiacan)

3. Cross border at Nogales, Mariposa crpssomg (2.5 hrs).

Proceed to Phoenix on I-19 and I-10 (2.5-3 hrs).

A good/covenient hotel in Hermosillo is the San Sebastian.... and it is RIGHT on your route.

When coming into Hermosillo you will want to take a 'bypass' of downtown... the Guaymas-Hermosillo Periferico. For that bypass follow the signs saying "Bahia de Kino/Nogales". RIGHT ON the corner as you are turning right onto the Periferico is the hotel San Sebastian. Nice, reasonable rates and good restaurant. Secure parking.

RV suggests that the Motel Paraiso is "just off"  the 15D bypass,  but it is more like a 30 minute drive 'into' town.  Unfortunately I do not have an alternative for lodging in Culiacan as I usually do Ajijic-Mazatlan-Navojoa-Phoenix, staying at the Best Western in Navojoa. I enjoy spending a few relaxing hours in Mazatlan and have some great seafood.

I don't drive up anymore, but when I did:

- Lunch in Tepic

- Overnight in Mazatlan with drinks and dinner on the beach

- Bypass Culiacan (cartel headquarters? not a great place to linger)

- Navajoa--stay there, eat on the beach a little ways out of town

- Hermosillo, Holiday Inn, top floors have a nice view of the sunset over the desert

- Cross the border the next morning

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2017 at 11:07 AM, dennis clark said:

Any tips on places to stay, routes, misc. info welcomed. first trip back there. (2 or 3 days )

Thanks!

Stay on the toll road.  We try to stay at hotels closest to the toll roads.  Have a safe trip.

Archived