Chapala.com Webboard

San Blas Questions

hensley

Looking online and on Google Earth but with no luck finding bungalows close to the beach and what is there all to do there?

Any good restaurants for nice dinners?

Thanks so much for your help!

11 minutes ago, hensley said:

Looking online and on Google Earth but with no luck finding bungalows close to the beach and what is there all to do there?

Thanks so much for your help!

San Blas is known for one thing, jejenes.

http://www.visitsanblas.com/bugs.html

In the right side bar you will see links for rentals, restaurants, etc.

I've never been but the jejenes is probably the biggest reason why not.

If you go, please post a review.

San Blas has some of the best body surfing I have ever experienced in my life, at the beach just south of the town.  And, yes, it is buggy as all get out.  There are a couple of decent restaurants right on the beach.  I am told there are some small hotels in the town.  Apparently there is some sort of swampy area in the vicinity which is the cause of the bug problem.  When I went there during the day they were not bad but we were out of there by 4PM.

My sister likes Rincon de Guayabitas - never been there, sounds like an infectious disease. It is unique because there was a time when the Mexican government, as an experiment, allowed foreigners to own within the beach zone (35 miles? its been a while) and they build the beachfront "Motel" type places you see everywhere in Florida and California. Mind you, by now I will bet many of them are pretty run down.

Just now, CHILLIN said:

It is so bad there they do not call them bungalows, but rather bugalows.

I've always wanted to visit Puerto Escondito, the surfing village with about 30,000 residents. Have not looked into the logistics yet

We were in Escondito 30 years ago & it was small & beautiful.  Great little hotels a block in from the beach.  Then you should also go to Puerto Angel & Angelita

We have finally decided upon Bucerias as our preferred beach destination. Great beach, Costco nearby in PV, great Sunday market in La Cruz  and a great variety of excellent restaurants. 

1 hour ago, CHILLIN said:

My sister likes Rincon de Guayabitas - never been there, sounds like an infectious disease. It is unique because there was a time when the Mexican government, as an experiment, allowed foreigners to own within the beach zone (35 miles? its been a while) and they build the beachfront "Motel" type places you see everywhere in Florida and California. Mind you, by now I will bet many of them are pretty run down.

Why would you post negative comments and make baseless assumptions about a place you've never been to?

Jaltemba Bay has some of the nicest and calmest beaches along the Pacific coast.There has been a lot of new hotel construction and remodels over the last few years as the area attracts large numbers of visitors from Mexico year round and loads of Canadians and Americans during the winter months.

It's about 45-60 minutes closer to Ajijic than Bucerias and 90 minutes closer than PV, at least until the new cuota opens.

http://explorenayarit.com/towns/rincon-de-guayabitos/

http://www.guayabitos.com/

28 minutes ago, John Shrall said:

Why would you post negative comments and make baseless assumptions about a place you've never been to?

Jaltemba Bay has some of the nicest and calmest beaches along the Pacific coast.There has been a lot of new hotel construction and remodels over the last few years as the area attracts large numbers of visitors from Mexico year round and loads of Canadians and Americans during the winter months.

It's about 45-60 minutes closer to Ajijic than Bucerias and 90 minutes closer than PV, at least until the new cuota opens.

http://explorenayarit.com/towns/rincon-de-guayabitos/

Haha, John I was waiting for that!

Ok since this has gotten way off topic how about we talk about Sayulita? Same Question:

bungalows with kitchenettes close to the beach and what is there all to do there?

Been to Guayabitos 3 times, been there done that like it enough said!

Every time we went to Sayulita to pick up bread (every week), I always felt like I was walking into a time warp. The good kind. Lots and lots of surfers there and young hippies. Lots of boutiques. Lots of eateries for every level of economic need and culinary wants. You can sit at Don Pedro's and while away a good many hours watching the surfers.  It is five minutes south of San Pancho (hint...turtles)

I would suggest contacting Mudgirl as she lives there or SayulitaLife.com to check out what's available.

Which brings up a really important question... WHEN are you thinking of going?

Then forget about turtles. Not the right time of year. And book soon if you can.

Rincon de Guayabitos is an hour north of Sayulita; Puerto Vallarta is an hour south of Sayulita. Think two lane squiggly mountain road between Bucerias and Guayabitos (and everything in between)

5 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

It is so bad there they do not call them bungalows, but rather bugalows.

I've always wanted to visit Puerto Escondito, the surfing village with about 30,000 residents. Have not looked into the logistics yet

PE is a fabulous place.

34 minutes ago, hensley said:

Ok since this has gotten way off topic how about we talk about Sayulita? Same Question:

bungalows with kitchenettes close to the beach and what is there all to do there?

Been to Guayabitos 3 times, been there done that like it enough said!

I have visited Sayulita many times. Mainly to go to the one great restaurant (Don Pedro) there. Not much else to recommend it IMHO.

17 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Then forget about turtles. Not the right time of year. And book soon if you can.

Rincon de Guayabitos is an hour north of Sayulita; Puerto Vallarta is an hour south of Sayulita. Think two lane squiggly mountain road between Bucerias and Guayabitos (and everything in between)

R d C is quite large and has a good selection of restaurants. It has dark sand so the water is not very inviting. The big island a short boat ride away has nicer water as long as it is not too rough. 

4 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

Also there was some type of tsunami (caused by underwater landslide?) at Rincon about 1990 so the sidewalk along the beach and many restaurants were damaged.

4 hours ago, tomgates said:

We have finally decided upon Bucerias as our preferred beach destination. Great beach, Costco nearby in PV, great Sunday market in La Cruz  and a great variety of excellent restaurants. 

You can't really use the beach at Bucerias as there are so many sting rays there.

I have visited most of the towns on the west coast and I think my favorite is Puerto Angel (fairly near Puerto Escondido). Small fishing town with some decent hotels . It was relatively undeveloped.

Cedros, you have to be a guy, if you don't think all those boutiques in Sayulita aren't any fun.

It would be helpful when making comments, if people would say the timing of their last visit to a place. 

Sting rays... never encountered ANY in Bucerias from yearly "visits" between 1999 and 2013. Last visit to Sayulita and San Pancho 2013... lived in San Pancho year round from 2005 to 2011. Both places hoppin' in March but the kids (50's) like Sayulita the best. Neither Rincon de Guayabitos nor La Penita de Jaltemba are my cup of tea. Neither is Puerto Vallarta. There are many places on the coast to go if all you want to do is sit on your butt on the beach... and that's not my cup of tea either. Everybody's different and there's something for everyone.

Archived