Chapala.com Webboard

bad knees

idocdan

13 hours ago, artsnob said:

Yes I have had them over a period of 18 months, My knees are back to my 20,s  Now I have to work on the rest of my body to conform to great new knees

If you would, please share number of treatments typical for a knee, how long is a treatment and procedure, costs, name of doctor. Is a similar treatment available for hips? Some of this is experimental but to finally see a positive is encouraging. 

You donate your own blood, they centrifuge the blood Platelet's out & inject directly back into your knee joint. Was advised it is quite good for Osteoarthritis aka OA? So are omega 3 supplements,

Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) has gained popularity in recent years for treating sports-related injuries.

The attachment is not a gentle read, I'm trying to see NOB Canada Dr to gain some local knowledge & Pricing?

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0182496#sec001

11 hours ago, Sonia said:

If you would, please share number of treatments typical for a knee, how long is a treatment and procedure, costs, name of doctor. Is a similar treatment available for hips? Some of this is experimental but to finally see a positive is encouraging. 

I didn't do the "platelet rich blood plasma" as suggested by mkshawn. I got stem cells, obtained from my own adipose tissue and blood, centrifuged into an injectible which was inserted into my knee. The procedure took just over an hour and cost me $2500.00 Canadian dollars and was done in Toronto, Ontario, Canada at a Sports Medicine clinic there.  That clinic has a large roster of professional athletes who have had stem cell injections and are raving about it. I am having good results and am happy (not raving, yet) but I am a senior whose results aren't as good as those who are younger and still have some cartilage left in their knees. Also, I had this done at the end of May and it takes some time to start working so I'm not sure if there will be further improvement. From my understanding, it is the way of the future and already has proved itself as a better option than knee replacement in some cases.  I have no idea if it is available for hips but would think it would be - why not? I don't know if anyone is doing this in Mexico yet - the Canadian clinic has only recently started this treatment and, so far so good as far as results go ....... 

36 minutes ago, La-de-di said:

I didn't do the "platelet rich blood plasma" as suggested by mkshawn. I got stem cells, obtained from my own adipose tissue and blood, centrifuged into an injectible which was inserted into my knee. The procedure took just over an hour and cost me $2500.00 Canadian dollars and was done in Toronto, Ontario, Canada at a Sports Medicine clinic there.  That clinic has a large roster of professional athletes who have had stem cell injections and are raving about it. I am having good results and am happy (not raving, yet) but I am a senior whose results aren't as good as those who are younger and still have some cartilage left in their knees. Also, I had this done at the end of May and it takes some time to start working so I'm not sure if there will be further improvement. From my understanding, it is the way of the future and already has proved itself as a better option than knee replacement in some cases.  I have no idea if it is available for hips but would think it would be - why not? I don't know if anyone is doing this in Mexico yet - the Canadian clinic has only recently started this treatment and, so far so good as far as results go ....... 

Thank you for taking the time to share.

Per a stem cell center in Denver.... the procedure has more/better success on knees than on hips. This doesn't mean they won't do it on hips but just that their experience is that knees get better outcomes.

On 8/15/2017 at 8:56 PM, La-de-di said:

Please check the PM I sent you...thank you.

Had cortisone injections for a few years, but they only last a few months and they are not good to do continuously. Before I had my knees replaced I was receiving injections of ground up chicken cartilage for 2-3 years. There are several brand names for it. Each injection lasted 8-9 months and it felt as if I had wd-40 put in. Took away pain and swelling no side effects, except for the eggs in my bed every morning.

Archived